Short barrel 300 win mag

Dusty2426

WKR
Im fortunate to have access to lathes and mills and can rebarrel my own rifles. I’m wanting to try a short barrel 300 for pack hunts to save some weight I know about fps loss on shorter barrels but have rarely shot over 400 yards. I get that it’s gonna be a punisher but I’m not shooting a lot just sight in and 1-2 hunt shots. Anyone have any experience with this

It's stupid loud. Expect severe hearing damage without ear pro.

Would not recommend for anything other then for grins experiment

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Im fortunate to have access to lathes and mills and can rebarrel my own rifles. I’m wanting to try a short barrel 300 for pack hunts to save some weight I know about fps loss on shorter barrels but have rarely shot over 400 yards. I get that it’s gonna be a punisher but I’m not shooting a lot just sight in and 1-2 hunt shots. Anyone have any experience with this

It'll work fine. I shoot 20" and 22" barreled 300WM's regularly and they don't loose as much as most would have you believe.

It's stupid loud. Expect severe hearing damage without ear pro.

Would not recommend for anything other then for grins experiment

A single unprotected shot with any CF rifle causes permanent non-repairable hearing loss.

howl

WKR
I wonder if you wouldn't be better off if a larger caliber if going so short. Would a .338 RCM or some other do better at that length?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a 325 WSM cut back to 18"....dang handy to carry. I believe I lost roughly 30 fps/inch when cut from the 23" to the 18". The FPS loss isn't something I would worry too much about unless you are planning to shoot game out to impact velocites where the bullet you are using might not perform as it was designed (sub 1800 fps usually.)

Other than that, yeah its a bit more noise, but is dang handy to carry.

YxAVPKA.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I though we were talking 16-18"

We hacked up a pitted mosin to 16". Sent a stoopid amount of 147gr down the tube.

Even with foamies our ears would ring.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if you wouldn't be better off if a larger caliber if going so short. Would a .338 RCM or some other do better at that length?

Short answer is yes. Larger volume area to burn powder. A larger caliber also reduces barrel weight, but were talking oz.