What is the skinny on laser bore sites?

Laser bore sites

I am getting ready to sight in a Remington 700 and was thinking about getting a laser bore site to help out. What kind of experience do people have with these. Its it important to get one that is extremely accurate or is a cheapie on eBay ok?

The way I see it is that the laser bore site is used as just the starting point. Site it in at 25 or 50 yds and then do the real adjustments with live rounds at 100, 150, 200, etc… I only need to use the laser just to get started and let the actual ballistics tell me what to adjust after that. Am i missing something here? Why would I spend $100+ or even $30 just to get to a starting point when I can by one for $8 on the internet and be just slightly off (maybe) on something that I have to hone in on anyway?

BTW does anyone have one for a Win Mag .300 they want to sell?

Lawnboi

WKR
I do the old pull the bolt and look down the barrel method at a target 50 yards away. It's always worked.

Maybe a laser would save me 6 bucks in ammo. To get it to where I can stretch to 100.

robtattoo

WKR
Just don't get one at all, to be honest.

So much easier to just pull the bolt, sight down the bore at 20yds & adjust your scope to match.

That'll put you on paper at 100 & 5rds should sight you in.

JP100

WKR
a laser bore sight is just a gimmick to take your cash. I have never seen a use for one.
Your guna have to shoot some rounds anyway and a basic bore sight will get you on paper.
Save ya money and buy more bullets!

howl

WKR
Might be a fun toy, but not necessary for sighting in. The best use I have seen for them is verifying the scope is still on where it was when zeroed.

To do without the boresight:

Use a level on a flat spot on the action and a string with a weight hanging from it to get your reticle square. That means level the rifle and then rotate the scope so the vertical crosshair is parallel to the plumb line.

Then put a bright circle at 100 yards. A three inch orange dot is good. Look down the bore with that dot centered in the bore and adjust the reticle to that dot.

Put a target at 25 yards or so and adjust to hit about half an inch low. That will have you on a piece of paper at 100.

Once you're on the paper, shoot a group and then lock the rifle down with the reticle on the bullseye. It needs to be locked down so the rifle won't move as you look through it and adjust the scope. With the reticle on the spot you aimed for the group, adjust the crosshairs moving them to the center of the group. The scope should be very closed to zeroed at 100 at that point. Fine tuning is always necessary, but it is very close and a lot quicker than walking it in.

I know people tend to think in terms of boresight, shoot a group at 100 and make one adjustment and done as the ideal. I've only accomplished that maybe twice in many tries.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had a problem pulling the bolt and getting on paper at 100. Do it at 50 if you're nervous.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need it; and the thought of shoving a rod thru crown makes me cringe.

Also, the below is generally true for all calibers with a MV 2500-3200 FPS.

25m zero = about 300m POA-POI

50m zero = about 200m POA-POI

One more reason Mil/MOA reticles are nice. Pull the bolt and look through the bore to get you on paper, shoot one shot, use reticle to measure windage and elevation correction needed, make correction and shoot a group to confirm, adjust further if necessary, done. Obviously if the ammo, rifle, or shooter aren't accurate it takes a bit more but if those things are in order it shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 shots to be good.

rayporter

WKR
I know 2 rifles ruined by forgetting to remove the laser from the muzzle. if you use one put it in the action in place of the bolt.

before the labradar I did find one handy to put in the action after removing the bolt to shine down the barrel so I could adjust the chronograph.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One more reason Mil/MOA reticles are nice. Pull the bolt and look through the bore to get you on paper, shoot one shot, use reticle to measure windage and elevation correction needed, make correction and shoot a group to confirm, adjust further if necessary, done. Obviously if the ammo, rifle, or shooter aren't accurate it takes a bit more but if those things are in order it shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 shots to be good.

Once I bore sight by looking through my barrel and centering the target, I shoot one shot and then move my turrets to get the crosshairs on the bullet hole, and then shoot another to verify. It's usually very close to the bullseye and then can shoot a group to verify or make further adjustments.