New Rifle

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
First I will get the particulars out of the way:
1. I hunt the Southeastern US and will be making trips west to the plains and the southwest eventually.
2. I handload ammo so not worried about readily available inventory on the shelf.

Now help me choose the next caliber and recommend your favorite rifle for it:

6.5-284 Norma
.300 Win Mag
7mm Rem Mag

Caveat: if your a Nosler fan sell me on the 26, 28, or 30.

FURMAN

WKR
If elk is on the table go 300 Win. I have a 28 and 30 Nosler and love the both but not enough for the added cost over a win mag. 215 Bergers are the only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FURMAN

WKR
Stay away from Tikkas or Noslers for magnum cartridges. The mag boxes are too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

N2TRKYS

WKR
First I will get the particulars out of the way:
1. I hunt the Southeastern US and will be making trips west to the plains and the southwest eventually.
2. I handload ammo so not worried about readily available inventory on the shelf.

Now help me choose the next caliber and recommend your favorite rifle for it:

6.5-284 Norma
.300 Win Mag
7mm Rem Mag

Caveat: if your a Nosler fan sell me on the 26, 28, or 30.

Honestly, an easy to handle/carry rifle in a non magnum caliber(ie. 7-08/308, 30-06) is all you need. BuzH on here doesn't have any problems killing elk with a 7-08 and 140 grain Accubonds.

slvrslngr

WKR
If your budget is open, take a look at the Barrett Fieldcraft. If you're on a budget, Tikka SL. A Winchester EW in 7mag would work too.

howl

WKR
Some people find a .308 is all they ever need. A better scope, binoculars, range time, and more hunting all make more sense than a new rifle. To heck with that. Everybody needs a new rifle!

You can run the same bullets in the .308 and .300 for deer and hogs. 165gr NBT and SST worked real well for me. Aiming as far back and as low as possible while still getting the lungs results in a 50 yards dash with a blood trail you can follow blindfolded. Meat damage is minimal with that shot. On a rutting buck you can still break the shoulders as necessary.

Ruger makes a .300 Win Mag American. By the time you get a laminated stock and a scope on it, it will approach a sensible weight for a .300 mag. And it's already threaded for an "ear deafener" in case you find the recoil is a bit heavy for your tastes.

I like to keep my guns having all the same controls so I don't get mixed up in the heat of the moment. If you're wanting to get a nicer rifle with almost the same controls, I recommend Browning A-Bolts. Mine have all done less than half an inch with handloads.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Load that joker with some good 165 grain bullets or 180s, if you prefer, and take that thing hunting.
Haha, I do take it hunting.

Some people find a .308 is all they ever need. A better scope, binoculars, range time, and more hunting all make more sense than a new rifle. To heck with that. Everybody needs a new rifle!
Who has ever been satisfied with just one gun?