Anybody have experience with Barrett Fieldcraft 30-06 or 308

kipper09

WKR
I have a fieldcraft in a 6.5 and am really liking it. Thinking about replacing one of my larger caliber rifles with a fieldcraft 308 or 30-06. If any of you have one of them what’s the recoil like? That my main concern. I really want it for an elk rifle and a mountain goat hunt I hope to go on in the next 3 years. Not terribly recoil sensitive but don’t want punished either. Let me know if you have any experiences. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTSabo

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate to take the 6.5 on a goat hunt. Ballistics are very similar between the 308 and 6.5.

hodgeman

WKR
I've also got the 6.5 and really like it. A companion rifle in .30-06 is awfully tempting as a two rifle battery for anything I'll try to put a bullet into.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
That was my thought. 06 and 6.5 should do about anything I would ever need to do.
Mtsabo, you think a 6.5 is enough punch for a mountain goat?? I know it’s a versatile round and it’s shoots very well but that was my concern. I’ve never hunted goats but plan to the next 3 years and seriously felt undergunned with a 6.5

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 6.5 is plenty capable of taking care of a mountain goat and then some. If the bullet goes where you want it to, use it and save your money and buy some other equipment.

Randy

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Well Randy that’s not exactly what I was expecting to hear. I know bullet placement is key. But I expected to need more gun than a 6.5.

Last edited:
I don't have any first had experience with the 6.5 but based on the ballistics, I would think that it work fine on goats. My only concern would be goat hunting in areas where brown bear activity is high and the 6.5 being your only means of self defense.

MTSabo

WKR
I don't have any first had experience with the 6.5 but based on the ballistics, I would think that it work fine on goats. My only concern would be goat hunting in areas where brown bear activity is high and the 6.5 being your only means of self defense.

Non res is required to have a guide for goat. Wouldn't have to worry about self defense the guide should have a gun for that. Now there's nothing wrong with a new toy in 30-06 either especially if you also want an elk rifle

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Elk was a big part of it. I probably will end of getting a fieldcraft 06. I would like to have some feedback on the recoil. I would also guess if a 6.5 will work on a Goat it should work on an elk as well??

Non res is required to have a guide for goat. Wouldn't have to worry about self defense the guide should have a gun for that. Now there's nothing wrong with a new toy in 30-06 either especially if you also want an elk rifle
I'm well aware of our laws here in AK but there are other places a person can hunt mountain goats and also be in brown bear/grizzly country. As far as hunting with a guide, or anybody else for that matter, I'm just not the kind of person that likes to rely on someone else for my safety.

MTSabo

WKR
I'm well aware of our laws here in AK but there are other places a person can hunt mountain goats and also be in brown bear/grizzly country. As far as hunting with a guide, or anybody else for that matter, I'm just not the kind of person that likes to rely on someone else for my safety.

Good point

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Randy that’s not exactly what I was expecting to hear. I know bullet placement is key. But I expected to need more gun than a 6.5.

I guess I misunderstood your question........not sure what you want to hear.

Randy

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
No, I just didn’t expect to hear a 6.5 was enough gun. I have no experience but most people say it takes a big gun. Just surprised me that a 6.5 was enough caliber. If it’ll work I’m tickled cause I love the gun and the way it shoots and it’s very nice to carry

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
No, I just didn’t expect to hear a 6.5 was enough gun. I have no experience but most people say it takes a big gun. Just surprised me that a 6.5 was enough caliber. If it’ll work I’m tickled cause I love the gun and the way it shoots and it’s very nice to carry

Goats are tough. They're also made "tougher" because people associate "tough" with needs "6 feet of penetration" and shoot bullets that cause minimum damage- aka Barnes, E-Tips, etc. Goats may have a will to live, but they aren't that deep in the body and physiologically it's no different than any other similer sized animal in that more tissue damage= faster death.

A long way of saying that mtnwrunner is correct and the 6.5 Creedmoor will kill elk just fine.

Fire_9

WKR
The 6.5 will be just fine. If I rifle hunted elk at 500+ I might look for a bigger caliber but if that's not the case, you'll be fine. Two elk and a mt goat fell victim to my 6.5x47 this year. None of them made it very far

AXEL

WKR
I would FAR rather carry a .30-06 when hunting RM Goats or Elk or Moose, in Grizzly country than ANY 6.5 bore ever made. Actually, I consider this with a 200 gr. Npt. to be "ideal" for this use and better for many shooters than the .338WM, 9.3x62 and .375H&H, as it is easier to shoot fast and well.

Goats, ARE "tough" and live where you may need to anchor one with ONE shot or they struggle over a cliff and end up smashed to bits. I have never bothered to shoot one, just not interested, but, have seen some shot here in BC, during my years working for our resource agencies and in AB, as well.

I used to own, 50 years ago, one of only two Mannlicher-Schoenaur 1961MCA carbines I have ever seen in 6.5x55, (NOT a misprint) and it was a drill. I was young, fit, working in the Kootenay mountains for the BCFS and hunted hard. Yet, when hunting Elk,or, where Grizzlies were especially numerous, I carried my first P-64 Alaskan, .338WM and felt better with it, especially alone.

I agree with the gentleman above, I never depend on ANYONE else for MY safety in the bush.

JMHO, it's better to have lots and lots of rifles, anyway! :)

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
All great input. Sounds like the 6.5 fieldcraft will probably do the job. It’s a great little rifle and I will probably carry it elk hunting this year. But as you just said. I really enjoy having lots of rifles and a fieldcraft 06 may be just what I need haha. If anybody else owns one I would love to hear any experiences with it. How it shoots and recoil. Thanks for all the great input.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you got the money the 30-06 would be a great addition no doubt. I have the little 6.5 fieldcraft and I like it a lot and it'll likely be the one I choose for my next mountain goat hunt.