Aftermarket stock for kimber hunter

Pocu0801

FNG
Any suggestions? Looking for a similar design as the hunter stock but with aluminum bedding block.

Thanks!

None that I know of and from what I've seen in older threads the company will not sell you a synthetic stock either.

McMillan and Manners don't have anything listed so you'd probably have to go with a custom stock maker like MPI or inlet a stock yourself?

Good luck

Mpi has 84m inlets. Not sure how you get blind mag box and guts.

You can get dbm for the 84m so maybe go that way.

It'd be cheaper just to buy a Montana.

BigWoods

WKR
Kimber quoted me $475 for the Montana stock and they want to install it.

Do let me know if you're thinking of sending the Hunter down the road at a good price.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Do let me know if you're thinking of sending the Hunter down the road at a good price.

Dang for that price I would get an MPI microlight stock and drop 3/4 of a pound off the total rifle weight of it and be lighter than a $1600 Mnt Ascent and still have less money into it than that.

BigWoods

WKR
Luke, since you've been down this road before, what all would be entailed in getting a Kimber mounted in one of the MPI stocks? I know if I did his with a hunter I'd need a trigger guard as well as a magazine box spring and follower. Any idea what the cost might be for all this? Im sure I could handle the recoil pad mounting as well as the bedding process.
I'm thinking of getting a Hunter, chopping the barrel and then having a local machinist go to town lightening it up.

Lawnboi

WKR

It's in .308, has around 150 rounds through it and shoots Barnes 150g ttsx at a minute. Not officially on the market but would sell. I like my Mesa too much and he wife won't shoot it, too much snap to it

BigWoods

WKR
It's in .308, has around 150 rounds through it and shoots Barnes 150g ttsx at a minute. Not officially on the market but would sell. I like my Mesa too much and he wife won't shoot it, too much snap to it

PM sent

Dang for that price I would get an MPI microlight stock and drop 3/4 of a pound off the total rifle weight of it and be lighter than a $1600 Mnt Ascent and still have less money into it than that.

Is that true ?? last time I called MPI I was quoted almost 600 bucks for a micro lite stock and that was for a blank, I would have to bed, paint, add buttpad and sling studs. I really want to try a micro lite stock but when oregon gunsmithing will make a 1 "poundish" stock and do all the work for 650, its hard to try a microlite. 475 for a kimber stock andthey do the work..that sounds pretty good actually. heck an HS Precision will run a guy 375 and weigh 75% more

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hear ya….I believe it was $725 bedded and finished….(not counting graphics and grippy clear coat). Certainly a bit more money but when you end up with a stock that is 12-13 oz vs 20 oz finished just depends on how many $$$ per oz you are chasing :)

Easiest way to a 4.3-4.4 pound rifle is a Kimber Mountain Ascent with a MPI Microlight stock….$2350ish and come in under 5 pounds with a VX-2 3-9 on it.

Lawnboi

WKR
4 bills dosnt seem all that bad. Considering the price tag on a Montana.

What I would like to do, put my hunter in a Montana stock, have be Barrel cut and threaded at 18" and acquire a can for it. Top it with a nightforce 2.5-10 and have a reasonably weighted suppressed gun that I can carry

I can dream right.

BigWoods

WKR
4 bills dosnt seem all that bad. Considering the price tag on a Montana.

What I would like to do, put my hunter in a Montana stock, have be Barrel cut and threaded at 18" and acquire a can for it. Top it with a nightforce 2.5-10 and have a reasonably weighted suppressed gun that I can carry

I can dream right.

The only hitch in this (because I really wouldn't mind doing the same thing) is that when I asked if they could sell one for a Hunter, they 'claimed' that it wouldn't fit a Hunter...which doesn't exactly seem accurate from what I've read online from guys swapping the stocks.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
The only hitch in this (because I really wouldn't mind doing the same thing) is that when I asked if they could sell one for a Hunter, they 'claimed' that it wouldn't fit a Hunter...which doesn't exactly seem accurate from what I've read online from guys swapping the stocks.

Last I heard they would only replace factory stocks, not sell you an additional one...