Kimber Adirondack/Montana stock swap?

Has any body swapped stocks on these two rifles? I'm buying an Adirondack in 7mm-08, but I really like solid colors and the coarse grainy feel of the Montana stocks. If there is anybody in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area that has a short action Montana that would prefer an Optifade Elevated II stock let me know. Thanks.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Not answering your question, my apologies, but have you handled an Adirondack stock ? I quite like the feel of mine, even if it isn't the most durable finish.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Has any body swapped stocks on these two rifles? I'm buying an Adirondack in 7mm-08, but I really like solid colors and the coarse grainy feel of the Montana stocks. If there is anybody in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area that has a short action Montana that would prefer an Optifade Elevated II stock let me know. Thanks.

I would just see Paul at Alaska Hydrographics and have him dip it into whatever color or graphics you want and then put a grippy clear coat on the outside of that. I have done that with all my Kimber stocks.

OP
northtoalaska13
RCA, I have only handled the Mountain Ascent stock, which i assume feels the same as the Adirondack. Nice tacky grip to it. But I recently got my hands on a Montana in the older gray stock and really liked the feel of it better. More coarse and gritty. I'm wanting the best of both worlds I guess.

Luke, thanks. I actually talked to Paul today and got a lot of great info from him. Is there a gunsmith in AK that you would recommend for, say, cutting and re-crowning a Montana? I found a Montana that is a couple years old, before the pea green stocks, and it weighed 5lb 1/2 oz. But I like the additional features of the Adirondack, i.e., already cut to 18", fluted bolt, hollow bolt, ect...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
RCA, I have only handled the Mountain Ascent stock, which i assume feels the same as the Adirondack. Nice tacky grip to it. But I recently got my hands on a Montana in the older gray stock and really liked the feel of it better. More coarse and gritty. I'm wanting the best of both worlds I guess.

Luke, thanks. I actually talked to Paul today and got a lot of great info from him. Is there a gunsmith in AK that you would recommend for, say, cutting and re-crowning a Montana? I found a Montana that is a couple years old, before the pea green stocks, and it weighed 5lb 1/2 oz. But I like the additional features of the Adirondack, i.e., already cut to 18", fluted bolt, hollow bolt, ect...

A cut/recrown is about as simple as it gets for most gunsmiths and anyone can usually do them. That said I use Derrick Moffitt at Last Frontier Custom Guns for most of my rifle work these days. He has done a couple/cut crown for me as well as thread barrels for me as well.