Review - Spartan Precision Bipod - Javelin Long + Jane Long Legs

dotman

WKR
First off I want to thank both Spartan and Rokslide for providing the opportunity to test this equipment out. Not often do you see sponsors or forum owners allowing a non-biased review of their products and not that I’m saying the Rokslide pro staff is biased but it’s good to see member reviews especially for expensive products. By no means am I a pro staff kind of person, I enjoy my gear and I demand that my gear can take a beating and keep on ticking. I also believe in buying quality goods and supporting small businesses that stand behind their products.

MfYSDKi.jpg

Unfortunately due to Customs I wasn't going to receive my test unit prior to my late November mule deer hunt, Spartan came to the rescue, I was shipped one of their US based employees personal bi-pod and long legs, arriving just before I left. I was able to install the mount on my rifle and hit the range on my way out of town. My initial concern was that the magnetic attachment point may not be the most secure and if moving quickly while still being attached I thought it could be possible to lose the bi-pod. I have been running a KDC V2 Snipe Pod for a few years, I have used it on a muzzleloader and rifle. The weight of the KDC and compact size really drew me to it. I always keep it in a belt pocket for easy access and it attaches in a very firm manner. On my last hunt with the KDC I almost lost it, the set screw had somehow threaded itself out and the mount attachment point pin somehow did not drop out allowing for the mount to be lost, this by no means is a knock on the KDC, this was simply a heads up that if you use something double check the attachment points. OK, back to the Javelin, nothing is perfect and anything can happen is how I look at everything. Knowing that even though the KDC had what I always thought was a very secure mounting system, I had almost lost it. So as quick as the thought came into my mind about the magnetic connection point, I quickly ignored the thought. Until I actually had field use I knew that Spartan had designed the attachment point to the best of their ability to not allow this to happen, this is what good dedicated companies do.

I spent 3 and 1/2 days hunting mule deer in the furthest most reaches of Kansas along the Colorado and Nebraska Border States on WIHA land, pretty much, public land for a state without much public. I put on over 10 miles a day and hours glassing each and every day. I had the Javelin connected every time I wasn't on the move and a few times when I was stalking in closer to get a better look at animals. The Spartan has exceeded every assumption I had! While both Justin and Ryan have stated how impressed they have been with the unit, it was more impressive than I expected. The magnetic connection is extremely solid, I do not see this just falling off and it takes decent force to remove from the mount.

Build Quality is first rate! All adjustments are solid and secure, I found that I couldn't get the star knob to tighten the side to side tilt as much as I would like but the included lever attachment that can be installed in place of the knob really lets you tighten all movement down to an extremely solid locked in position allowing you to steadily stay on target as long as it is not moving but to also easily and quickly loosen to allow for adjustment.

nwaa8A1.jpg

drRJ56H.jpg

The standard and Jane Long Legs are very high quality carbon and very easy to swap between the standard legs included with the bipod to the Jane long legs. I was able to put the bipod with Jane long legs into a spotting scope pocket and secure down to where it was in a very secure place while in the pack that also provided quick access if needed. When the standard legs were installed I was able to put the bi-pod into my organizer pocket mounted on my pack belt, a Kifaru large belt pocket would also allow for the storage of the bi-pod on the belt of a Kifaru, not sure about other manufacturers belts as all I have really used for a long time are Kifaru packs and pockets.

This bi-pod is extremely stable, while the KDC has thinner legs similar to aluminum tent poles that actually allow for flexing and some movement the Spartan is solid as a rock. While in the standard configuration you do not get as much height adjustment as you would with the KDC you get a more solid platform. The Jane Long Legs allow for you to use the bi-pod while sitting and add less then 2oz to your pack. The base weight difference between the KDC and Spartan Javelin Long is less than an oz!! The KDC is 4.9oz and the Javelin Long is 5.8oz on my scale. This blows my mind that Spartan was able to produce such a solid bi-pod that weighs close to the KDC.

After using this product I’m extremely thankful for the opportunity, so much so that I ordered an extra mount and Jane Long Legs. I easily see this being my go to bi-pod for both muzzle loader and rifle hunting. I’m not saying this because I was allowed to test the unit, truthfully if it was junk I would have sent it to Robby and said sorry but my review isn’t going to be good. Again, this product has exceeded all of my expectations and I feel it is worth the premium. The KDC is also a good option at a lower price point but it is not as solid or streamlined as the Spartan. The Spartan while it doesn’t allow for as large of a range of adjustment straight out of the box does provide an adjustment similar to what we see with our tripod legs in a very solid package.

ZltIXc7.jpg

svZ6GHC.jpg

068qlDB.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you show a picture of the attachment to your rifle? Does your picture of the scale include the rifle attachment or just the bi-pod?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Yeah when I get a chance I’ll take a picture, the weight is only of the bi-pod for both. I didn’t weigh either mount as both are very light.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a bi-pod idiot not having never used one very much. Just to be clear it attaches over the sling stud correct?

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I'm a bi-pod idiot not having never used one very much. Just to be clear it attaches over the sling stud correct?

The KDC attaches over the sling stud, the Javelin you remove the stud and attach with an included bolt. Disclaimer on my muzzleloader I did have to shorten the supplied bolt.

Both the Javelin and KDC have a sling connection built into their mounts so you can still use a sling.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great review Dotman...having just picked one up over the Black Friday sale and only mounted on the rifle I gotta say its an impressive little unit for the weight.

We have just started shipping our quickfit adapter which fits over the sling stud if it is bonded in, or you want to fit an adapter to a friends rifle with a fixed sling stud. It’s up on the adapters page on the website.

Great review there thank you! THe products were designed and are used by us so they have plenty of field testing prior to release. I’ll see if I can get a picture of our early prototype to show you how far we’ve come from the initial concepts...

Been running a Javelin for over 4 years now of hard use in the mountains and the little thing still amazes me. I've had zero problems with mine and have bought several mounts since so I can use it on other rifles. The short model I have fits in my cargo pocket and is always with me on the hunt. I sometimes forget it's even there.

Scottyboy

WKR
Is the “replaces front sling stud” adapter included with a bipod, or does one need to order both the bipod and also a adapter separately?

Like the looks of the "300" model that will fold up under your rifle so it does not need to be carried separately.

The 300 was design was primarily driven by your Spec Ops units who liked the weight but wanted to be able to keep it on when necessary.

You lose the ability to lock it up for range work which you achieve with the Javelin by reversing the bipod through 180deg and reattaching it at which point you lose the traverse and it is solid. Slight difference in leg width as well but its a great addition to the black rifle market. Still works with all the adapters, tripods etc. other than the classic gunsmith adapter.