.25-06 for Ibex???

JP100

WKR
Hi Guys
we are planning a mid asian ibex hunt for next year and my uncle has sold off a few of his rifles and is left with a 25-05.
We do have some other options we can borrow but this gun is his own and he used it a fair bit.
Who here has used one on Mt Goats or similar game?
Mid asians are not massive but are big for goats and very tough and shots often long.

Im thinking 100 or 115 barnes going as fast as we can go would be the best option?

Thoughts?

You also have a 110 accubond you could tinker with. 115 Berger. I don't think you'll struggle with any of those choices north of 3000 fps.

But now That I type all of that it strikes me As odd that you can afford an Asian ibex hunt but are having doubts on a rifle. Doesn't make sense.

Capra74

FNG
I've shot one and seen two others killed, so it's a pretty small sample size. I shot mine with a 270 Wby/150 grain Interbond at a hair over 400 yards. Tipped right over. My one buddy shot his with a .300 Win Mag/180 Ballistic Tip at 300 yards. Tipped right over. Other buddy shot his at 70 yards to a 7 Mag/Berger VLD. Also tipped right over. They're a pretty big and sturdy animal, but don't seem that had to kill. Based on my experience, while it wouldn't be my first choice, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 25/06. TTSX, Berger, Accubond - any should work. Just go with a heavier weight and punch a hole through the lungs.

I've never shot an Ibex but have killed deer, antelope, and a couple elk with a 25-06 and it worked well. I used a 120 gr. Partition and it's a fantastic bullet but the 110 gr. Accubond would work very well also and I have complete confidence in it too! I would have no fears using the 25-06.

I would not use a 25-06 for a hunt like that. I’ve never shot an ibex or a mountain goat but the shot has very little to do with the meat it’s finally ending up in. IMO I wouldn’t want anything less than 140gr for that type of hunt. A 6.5mm caliber would be my minimum. Could I kill an ibex with a 120gr 25-06? Sure. I could kill one with a .204 if I had the right shot. That doesn’t mean I’m taking my coyote rifle half way around the world to seal the deal on the hunt of a lifetime. Maybe it’s because I hunt on a hunting guide and blood trackinh salary and because I have tracked SO many animals for clients who made bad shots that I want to hedge my bet. I don’t want to shoot a gun that can do the job in good conditions with a great shot....I use a gun that I KNOW will do the job in BAD conditions, even if my shot isn’t great. I don’t want to miss an opportunity at a trophy because conditions deteriorated and my gun/bullet couldn’t overcome them. I’d be talking to your outfitter instead of the internet. You may find that they won’t allow a caliber that small. I’d at least start there.

Mid-Asian Ibex is near the top of my bucket list (and probably way outside this brushbuster’s finances) but I do know they’re not cheap. Surely, if you can afford to go on that hunt he can afford a rifle to increase his odds of success.

Weather up there can be nasty and the wind very tricky. Having a heavier bullet with a high BC that’s known to buck the wind well would be an absolute priority, in my book. I’m currently building a 6.5 SAUM for shooting the soon to be released Berger 155gr Elite Hunter. That would be my personal minimum. It’s a SwitchLug rifle that will also have a 300wsm barrel reamed for Berger 195s. That would be my go-to if I wasn’t going to shoot over 400yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I've never shot an Ibex but have killed deer, antelope, and a couple elk with a 25-06 and it worked well. I used a 120 gr. Partition and it's a fantastic bullet but the 110 gr. Accubond would work very well also and I have complete confidence in it too! I would have no fears using the 25-06.

That is a confidence inspiring bullet. The 120gr partition. I’ve knock down some far ( for me) big bodied mulies with that one. 257 weatherby was the gun.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
I would not use a 25-06 for a hunt like that. I’ve never shot an ibex or a mountain goat but the shot has very little to do with the meat it’s finally ending up in. IMO I wouldn’t want anything less than 140gr for that type of hunt. A 6.5mm caliber would be my minimum. Could I kill an ibex with a 120gr 25-06? Sure. I could kill one with a .204 if I had the right shot. That doesn’t mean I’m taking my coyote rifle half way around the world to seal the deal on the hunt of a lifetime. Maybe it’s because I hunt on a hunting guide and blood trackinh salary and because I have tracked SO many animals for clients who made bad shots that I want to hedge my bet. I don’t want to shoot a gun that can do the job in good conditions with a great shot....I use a gun that I KNOW will do the job in BAD conditions, even if my shot isn’t great. I don’t want to miss an opportunity at a trophy because conditions deteriorated and my gun/bullet couldn’t overcome them. I’d be talking to your outfitter instead of the internet. You may find that they won’t allow a caliber that small. I’d at least start there.

Mid-Asian Ibex is near the top of my bucket list (and probably way outside this brushbuster’s finances) but I do know they’re not cheap. Surely, if you can afford to go on that hunt he can afford a rifle to increase his odds of success.

Weather up there can be nasty and the wind very tricky. Having a heavier bullet with a high BC that’s known to buck the wind well would be an absolute priority, in my book. I’m currently building a 6.5 SAUM for shooting the soon to be released Berger 155gr Elite Hunter. That would be my personal minimum. It’s a SwitchLug rifle that will also have a 300wsm barrel reamed for Berger 195s. That would be my go-to if I wasn’t going to shoot over 400yds.

I should add we are those guides aswell. Both myself and my uncle are guides and have tracked all kinds of critters. Ive seen more wounded game with a 300 mag than anything. and seen more Tahr drop in their tracks with a .243 than anything else. We both have shot a few Tahr with .243s and had no issue(shot over 30 bulls with my pea shooter haha).
Have talked with the outfitter an there is no issue on minimum caliber(.243 is min), max is .338.

Id trust a .25-06 with a barnes on bonded bullet over a berger thats for sure.

Ibex are not cheap for sure, but buying a whole new rifle for one hunt is a big cost, my uncle is pretty much retired from hunting and would not use a new gun if he bought one. Guns are spendy down here, not like the US.

Thanks for the input.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
But now That I type all of that it strikes me As odd that you can afford an Asian ibex hunt but are having doubts on a rifle. Doesn't make sense.

we arnt made of money! buying a rifle for just one hunt is pretty big cost. this will likely be my uncles last big trip

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Thanks for the input guys.
I think we will stick the .25-06 and work on getting some good bullets going.
Either Barnes,accubond or partition, they do make an ELD X in .25 aswell which might be worth a go.

Hopefully can a load done up and test it on a Tahr or two.

I should add we are those guides aswell. Both myself and my uncle are guides and have tracked all kinds of critters. Ive seen more wounded game with a 300 mag than anything. and seen more Tahr drop in their tracks with a .243 than anything else. We both have shot a few Tahr with .243s and had no issue(shot over 30 bulls with my pea shooter haha).
Have talked with the outfitter an there is no issue on minimum caliber(.243 is min), max is .338.

Id trust a .25-06 with a barnes on bonded bullet over a berger thats for sure.

Ibex are not cheap for sure, but buying a whole new rifle for one hunt is a big cost, my uncle is pretty much retired from hunting and would not use a new gun if he bought one. Guns are spendy down here, not like the US.

Thanks for the input.

Hey, if you’ve got that confidence and that experience, go-for it. There’s lots of value there. You asked do opinions so I gave mine. I’m not doing the hunt and if the outfitter is cool with it, then I’d trust their judgement. I’d love to hear about your hunt and how it went. Hopefully you’ll do a write up when it’s over!?

I’d REALLY be interested to check out your outfitter! Any chance you’d be willing to PM me their name and contact info? Like I said...it’s on my bucket list.

I guess the gun thing is very different where you live - I’m guessing NZ? Here, I’d build/but the rifle, go on the hunt and then sell I for a small loss. But, heck, if he wouldn’t shoot a new rifle anyway, then it doesn’t matter anyway. Lol!

Have a great hunt!

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Although likely smaller than Mid-Asian Ibex, both my girls shot mountain goats with a 243 (at 180 and other at 255 yards). One goat was taken with an 80gr TTSX at 3200 fps over 36.5gr H4895. Other goat with 100gr Partition at 2750fps. Both worked great.

mCN4apI.png

m82mvs0.png

Last edited:

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I would think that the 25-06 would be plenty, assuming the obvious. The only concern I would have would be wind drift, but if the outfitter is comfortable with it, and the gun shoots straight, shouldn't be a problem with monolithic or partitions. I know guys who regularly kill Elk with their 25-06's. Really an outstanding and underrated caliber. I'm actively talking my brother in law into one right now (mostly so I can borrow it).

Bruce, the pics above are awesome. I've got a little girl that I'll get into hunting as soon as she is old enough. Gonna show her these pictures as she loves Mountain Goats. Way to be an awesome Dad!

boom

WKR
Although likely smaller than Mid-Asian Ibex, both my girls shot mountain goats with a 243 (at 180 and other at 255 yards). Bullet was an 80gr TTSX at 3200 fps over 36.5gr H4895. Worked great.

Wow! Your kids are awesome. Wow!

Sodbuster

WKR
I shot two with a 300 WSM,180 Grain Barnes.First one was about 100 yards almost straight up.Knocked him off his feet and he rolled right down to me.Second was around 330 yards and dropped in his tracks.My buddy shot his with the same load.
300 Win Mag was the camp loaner rifle.
30-06, 280, and 270's made up the other hunters rifles and they all scored.
Your 25-06 should be fine,hit em in the sweet spot.
The other possibility is using a rifle belonging to the outfitters.

Good Luck.

oenanthe

WKR
We have a saying up here: "Alaska girls kick ass".

Looks like BC girls do, too! :) Great pics, thanks for sharing.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be keen to hear a hunt report when the day comes.

Can't help with the rifle as I've never hunted them. But surely.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk