what do you think about Boyd aftermarket gunstocks?

boom

WKR
for a Savage MarkII FV-SR.

seems like a cost affective way to making the gun feel less like a kid's gun..and will let me bury my cheek into the stock. i have never messed with any rifle and taken one apart. i had a friend freefloat and bed an old winchester, because i'm not talented with wood..i cant even prune a tree without "going too far" :D

but i can take a motor out of a vintage porsche..i think i can handle this now.

I love my Boyds thumbhole stock on my Savage Model 12. The fit and finish was superb. It needed to be pillar bedded, but that's a relatively easy DIY project. There's plenty of information online about bedding Savage rifles and how to float the tang and barrel.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

FURMAN

WKR
I would not buy one without the intent of pillar bedding. The last few I have had had some cheesy plastic bushing installed. It would be better if they just left it out. I have told them but they must not care.

efnm

WKR
I can't figure out Boyd's - they make 1 million different combinations of stocks but they can't figure out how to get me a 14.5" LOP stock (even though it is really straightforward when I explain it to them.)

JFK

WKR
I have a Boyd’s walnut stock on one of my savages. For the price you pay they are a good option. Inletting on mine was perfect out of the box. Just needed to float the tang and pillar bed it.

I see you have a savage rimfire. Check out MIP...they have thicker bottom metal and metal trigger guards for your rifle that mate to the Boyd’s tactical rimfire stocks for savages.

I purchased a wood laminate for my son's 6mm Remington in a Ruger MKII. It is a beautiful piece of wood and I had it checkered. Now you can just order checkering on it and they do a nice job. I had it pillar and glass bedded. Not because I had to because of fit issues or anything. That's just something I think all wood stocks should have and any synthetic ones that do not have the aluminum bedding blocks.

That is my second Boyds stock and they both have been excellent.

Felix40

WKR
I like mine. Put it on a model 70 and glass bedded it. For the price its a big improvement over plastic. I feel like the grip could stand to be more verticle and closer to the trigger. I also had a little swelling around the butt end while hunting on POW in all the rain. It took like 4 days to happen but it did eventually swell some. Ive sealed it much better since then so hopefully it wont be an issue now.

I got an At One stock from them for my Ruger American, It's not a highend stock by any means but its not bad for the price paid. I really like the adjustable LOP and the adjustable Comb option on this stock

fishslap

WKR
I have one on a browning x-bolt 270wsm and I just had one put on a semi custom left hand savage 6.5x284. No complaints from me but I've never owned a high end aftermarket stock. I think the fit and finish of the boyds is great for the price, as well as all the options you can get.

They’re ok. They’ll be better than the factory stock and you’ll be able to chose a style that fits you; but it’s not going to be as nice as a McMillan or a Manners. It’s a great step towards a top shelf stock, though. I’d also look at the Bell and Carlson stocks - they’re the same quality level. Find the stock that suits your needs and shooting style.

If you want specific advice, I’d go ask on Snipers Hide, Accurate Shooter or Long Range Hunting - you’ll get MUCH better advice than the Savage forums. The quality of advice on other shooting forums is pretty lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that the fit and finish is comparable to my Manners EH1 stock on my custom rifle. Both stock had to be pillar bedded. The pillars came installed in my Manners stock, but were. 050 short on the bottom, therefore the bottom metal wouldn't work and the pillars needed to be removed and new ones installed, which was fine with me.

Like stated earlier, I would plan on pillar bedding any stock you purchase, unless it has an aluminum bedding block.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

OP
B

boom

WKR
They’re ok. They’ll be better than the factory stock and you’ll be able to chose a style that fits you; but it’s not going to be as nice as a McMillan or a Manners. It’s a great step towards a top shelf stock, though. I’d also look at the Bell and Carlson stocks - they’re the same quality level. Find the stock that suits your needs and shooting style.

If you want specific advice, I’d go ask on Snipers Hide, Accurate Shooter or Long Range Hunting - you’ll get MUCH better advice than the Savage forums. The quality of advice on other shooting forums is pretty lacking.

BandC doesn’t make one for the .22 savage. I dint think I have a lot of choices.

Gotcha. My bad. Didn’t pay close enough attention to what rifle you were restocking. No doubt, for a .22 I wouldn’t bother with a McM or Manners either! Lol! Boyd’s will be perfect!