Uberlight Kimber Rifle Build, by Luke Moffat

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Factory-Kimber-Dall-Sheep.jpg

Luke is always pushing the limits when it comes to ultralight gear. In fact, he decided ultralight wasn't good enough and is now going uberlight! In his quest for a lighter pack Luke came up with a plan to build the lightest hunting rifle he could. In this article he details all the changes he made to his Kimber Montana to create a truly uberlight rifle.

Uberlight Kimber Rifle Build

Last edited by a moderator:

N2TRKYS

WKR
It could be even lighter if Kimber didn't put control round feed actions in them. Maybe they'll offer a push feed one day.

Great job on the rifle.

AdamW

WKR
Nerding out!

My personal niche for a rifle like this is about zero, for Luke it makes total sense and is really cool to read about. If I'm not mistaken, this pushes out the unicorn Kifaru Rambling Rifle in the weight department and looks better doing it. Great stuff Luke!

Last edited:

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
=]

to the OP, I've seen that gun around, thanks for the details! makes my 6# all up .338 federal look like a pig!

texag10

WKR
Ever considered using an aimpoint micro for the optic when in bear protection mode? Even lighter and should be faster close up that the leupold 2-7.

I had been waiting for this write up. Your gun came out great! and its the first time I have actually seen one of the MPI microlite stocks in the wild. I have been putting off trying one because I figured once it was done it would be around a pound anyway 12 ounces is AMAZING!

I have a kimber Montana in 338 federal that I think is going to get a very similar treatment, in the near future.
Question: when you ordered the MPI stock did you get a blank, or the semi pre fit model? I'm curious because I want to know if I order a blank microlite exactly what I am getting myself into. I have bedded plenty of rifles and done a little inletting but Im not sure what I would do if it just showed up as a solid piece of fiberglass and foam.

once again great job. I have spent a lot of years chasing down Light rifles and that has got to be one of, if not the lightest fully featured rifles I have ever seen. Also is it the leupold "ultralight" 2-7 you have on there? if not you could save another couple ounces pretty cheaply. Although I'm not sure why you would need to :)

JWP58

WKR
Love it. Completely unreasonable and unnecessary, and thats what makes it so cool.

I take it the mpi stock is bad a? No complaints?

With the deal you can get on a savage right now, a 338fed would be sweet.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ever considered using an aimpoint micro for the optic when in bear protection mode? Even lighter and should be faster close up that the leupold 2-7.

Funny you mentioned that. I did this on my Browning Mountain TI 325 WSM several years ago.

So I did the same thing on this rifle during this summer:
iiwmXGA.jpg

L4P5MmX.jpg

So yeah you can get it lighter than some of the larger hand cannons by going with a reflex red dot. Being sub 4 pounds handily even.

That said as I stated in the article I also want to have the option for the MUCH more likely scenario that I spot a black I would like to take while out hiking rather than have to use it in a self defense from a bear scenario. In that case for less than a 1/2 pound more I can have a scope with 2-7X which is much more ideal for actually hunting a grizzly.

But the red dot sure makes the little devil feel even lighter and very quick for target acquisition.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It could be even lighter if Kimber didn't put control round feed actions in them. Maybe they'll offer a push feed one day.

Great job on the rifle.

This is very true. However, Kimber despite being CRF is still a very trim platform to start a lightweight rifle build from. Most other push feeds even without the CRF can't compete with the action weight of a Kimber....I think they just make them CRF to keep it fair to the other actions out there weight wise. :)

BigWoods

WKR
Luke, how smooth is the bolt operation with those deep flutes in it? I'm dreaming of what I might have my local machinist do to the Kimber Hunter that I have in bound.

Amazing rifle!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, how smooth is the bolt operation with those deep flutes in it? I'm dreaming of what I might have my local machinist do to the Kimber Hunter that I have in bound.

Amazing rifle!

Right on!! You got the right rifle for it. The Kimber Hunter is a less expensive way to get there. Just need the mag box and follower and an MPI stock....$1400 you'll be lighter than a Kimber Mountain Ascent and then will only get lighter from there as you swap parts and pieces out and have you machinist hack away on the action. ;)

That was one of the considerations when cutting out the action. The bolt still glides just as smooth as before...in fact if it was in a gun vice (cause you'd def know when is which if holding it ;) ) you couldn't tell which cycled smoother between my wifes stock 308 Montana and this rifle if you have your eyes closed.