Tikka action screws

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I know there are a fair number of Tikka owners on here.

Something that’s been bugging me with the action screw head size. My T-25 Torx bit is sloppy (but sort of works) but the T-27 is too big.

The aftermarket action stainless steel action screws I bought have the same tool size it seems.

Any idea what’s going on here?

mt100gr.

WKR
Are you using a new T-25 bit? I have had a couple that I used in battery drivers at times get rounded. I keep new bits on my bench for rifle work. The 25 has always fit well in my T3s.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
They are new bits that are only on my gun bench as well. Bought them from Brownells, until I bought a Tikka never used them.

Interesting. I bought a pack of various torx bits and use them often with my Fat wrench. They fit tight for both my Tikka action screws. I'll have to see what brand of bits I bought.

Jon Boy

WKR
I ended up stripping mine out and had it resized for remington action screws. Cant remember what size they are but clearly bigger and tougher. Cost 50 bucks I think.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested to hear what brand you are using that fit well.

I should have some other T25 bits in my shop (that have had much more use), I will see if those fit better.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a handful of different T25 drivers I had around my shop, they are all varying amounts of sloppy on both of my tikka rifles.

Any other ideas?

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else's Tikka similar? There is sound in the video and that might help show it.

Here are some videos of the slop.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aliqMWM8mwk[/video]
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCsDrqWuog&feature=youtu.be[/video]

mt100gr.

WKR
I swapped out a recoil lug on one of my t3s a couple days ago and paid close attention to the fit of the t25 bit I usually use. I would say mine has about the same amount of slop that you are seeing. It didn't fit as tightly as I thought but it's plenty for the occasional turning that I do.

Once I have things set, trigger adjusted, recoil lug tight, etc., my Tikkas get torqued and left alone. I always mark the action screws with a paint pen so I can see that they stay put.

I guess if I did strip the head, I would just have to drill and retap for a bigger screw. I would find the best fitting bit you can and do what you gotta.do.

mt100gr.

WKR
....there's a chance that aftermarket action screws from Mountain Tactical or another Tikka tweaker shop may fit tighter. That would eliminate the what if.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
....there's a chance that aftermarket action screws from Mountain Tactical or another Tikka tweaker shop may fit tighter. That would eliminate the what if.

Funny you mention that, I have two sets of mountain tactical SS action screws in flat black coating. While not "Swiss watch perfect" they are far better than the OEM screws. I think that's going to have to do for my OCD, at least for now.

mt100gr.

WKR
I hear ya on the OCD. Loud and clear. I just hadnt noticed the slop there in the past....but now, every time I turn a tikka belly up, I will be tearing my shop apart looking for a t25 bit that doesn't exist. :)

sdupontjr

WKR
Interesting. I bought a pack of various torx bits and use them often with my Fat wrench. They fit tight for both my Tikka action screws. I'll have to see what brand of bits I bought.

The stock one in my gFat wrench set fits very snug. Ddidn't need to get an aftermarket to work with the Fat wrench. Guess I got lucky.