Review: Christensen Arms Mesa

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
02-Christensen-Mesa-Success.jpg

Hey Roksliders, I hope you all had a Merry Christmas! Throughout the year I have been shooting and hunting with the Christensen Arms Mesa. As you'll see in my review, it is loaded with features and definitely worth looking at for your next rifle purchase. Give it a read and let me know what questions you may have.

Christensen Arms Mesa Review

Thanks for the review Justin, I had been looking forward to this one.

How did the barrel do as far as heating up? Could you get three consecutive shots off without a change in POI

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Awesome review, thanks for doing that. This is a rifle I'm looking at for more of a longer range build.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Looked at one in the store, and it looked well put together, though the stock felt short to me. Also, I read that the feed box was too short to accept longer hand loads (bergers)?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review Justin, I had been looking forward to this one.

How did the barrel do as far as heating up? Could you get three consecutive shots off without a change in POI

I had no issues with point of impact shift while shooting three shot groups. I don't usually shoot any more than that without letting my rifles cool. I don't really know if it matters or not but I feel like taking the time to let them cool will make them last longer.

Awesome review, thanks for doing that. This is a rifle I'm looking at for more of a longer range build.

Don't forget to check out the Mesa Long Range to see if it fits your needs better.

Looked at one in the store, and it looked well put together, though the stock felt short to me. Also, I read that the feed box was too short to accept longer hand loads (bergers)?

I didn't personally load the 215 Bergers for this one but I'm pretty sure it would work fine. That's what I normally shoot out of a 300 wm but for this test, I just wanted to try something different. If I have time, I'll load up some 215's and let you know. I'll have to check my notes and get back to you on the maximum length that will fit inside the mag box.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Little off topic but how did you like those scope caps on the shv?

The caps I'm using in those photos are the AADMOUNT Scope Caps. I plan to have a video review done soon covering my likes and dislikes. They do a great job of keeping debris, rain, snow, whatever out/off the lenses. Since they close tightly to keep things out, they also require more force to open than other caps I've used. The lifetime warranty is a plus and helps to balance out the fact that the price is quite high. When compared to the cheap Butler Creek caps that we have all used, I think these are better in almost every way.

Overall, I still like the Leupold Alumina Flip-Back Covers the best of any I have used. They are also very expensive.

jb79

WKR
Thanks for the review, I'd been handling one off and on at sportsmans and my wife gave me the OK today to Purchase one..... so I did! I will be picking your brain about loads very soon!

Jb79 let us know what you also think about it. I have been looking at them for a while and may be thinking of picking one up in 300 win mag for an upcoming kodiak hunt this year! Only problem for me is not available in LH

jb79

WKR
I really like the fit and finish of the rifle but I am by no means as qualified as others on here to give a valuable review, my goal for 2018 is to get more shooting in and learn to reload but I am by and large a Bow hunter that also really like guns!

I also shoot left handed but have always shot right handed rifles so the LH feel funny to me. Mine is also a 300wm.

Once I decide on a scope and get some field time in I will report back with my thoughts.

Happy New Years!

AdamW

WKR
Thanks for the review, Justin. If you subtract the cost of the Triggertech trigger you're looking at $1k-ish which for the accuracy guarantee and the features doesn't seem too bad. I call that "by the time ya figure..." math, which is dangerous. :D

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review, Justin? If you subtract the cost of the Triggertech trigger you're looking at $1k-ish which for the accuracy guarantee and the features doesn't seem too bad. I call that "by the time ya figure..." math, which is dangerous. :D

I agree. It's a great value if you compare all the included features.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. Very informative.
Now that they have announced a LH model of the Mesa I think ill get one on order in 6.5 Creedmoor.

300dakota

FNG
Christensen arms stocks are from what I have been told by 2 very prominent gunsmiths are very unsatisfactory..they will not build on them.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Christensen arms stocks are from what I have been told by 2 very prominent gunsmiths are very unsatisfactory..they will not build on them.
Pretty ignorant statement. Which stock are you talking about? They make a few at various quality and price points.

We appreciate all opinions if they're yours and not something you heard someone say.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk