Bell and Carlson stocks? Replace cheap savage stock on a 12FV

Bought one of the Savage 12FV in 6.5CM on the Cabela's sale last month.
Haven't had much time the last 4 weeks to shoot it much, but I know the tupperware stock has to go at some point.

I know Boyd's is ok for a cheaper option at around $140, but I'll have to pillar bed which adds time and some expense. Not sure if the weight savings is that great on a Boyd's vs other options?

Any issues with the B and C stocks? Seem like a decent option for around $275. I had hoped to keep the weight around the same as it is now, but from I can tell just about anything will end up weighing a lot more than the cheap-ass factory stock Savage has on there now.

I'm all ears for other options in the sub $300 category.

Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have 2 rifles at the moment that are set up on B&C stocks, a M70 extreme conditions in 30-06 and a Weatherby Vanguard dangerous game 375HH, Ive also had a few rifles with them pass through my hands over the years. That being said, I also have Mcmillan and MAnners stocked rifles.

B&C gets some hate but I never really understood why, Ive never had any issues with them and I think they fill their intended role perfectly: upgrading from cheap plastic factory stocks without breaking the bank.

Ill actually go as far as to say I really like the ones I currently have and Ive never considered considered upgrading them because they work perfectly for a solid utility hunting stock that costs less than 300 bucks, is a HUGE step u from factory plastic and you dont have to wait 6-9 months to get one.

So yes, they are a good product and will be better than your factory plastic stock.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
HS precision makes some OK stocks but Ive actually cracked 2 of them on installation using their recommended torque specs, I dont think they are better than B&C so for the $$$, I'd go B&C.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Decent stock for the price, I have the same stock as clarktar and really like it. Only thing I don’t like is the weight (about 32ozs) but my rifle is still only 7.5lbs scoped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a savage 116 that I put a B&C medalist on. I like it - it's heavy, but a good stock. Did take a little inlet work.

robtattoo

WKR
Just a thought, but a cheaper (and in my mind actually better) option would be to shop around on eBay or the Savage owners forum for an Accustock.
No bedding needed, super stiff if a little heavy, and it'll correctly float the tang.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Any B&C owners who bedded theirs seeing an accuracy improvement from factory Tupperware?

I bedded the recoil lug on a few of them years ago. If I remember we saw some improvement but that was ~ 8 years ago, I dont really remember.

Any B&C owners who bedded theirs seeing an accuracy improvement from factory Tupperware?
I bedded mine and it's plenty accuracte. Don't have a ton of before and after pics with groups - but it's arund .5" when I do my part.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just a thought, but a cheaper (and in my mind actually better) option would be to shop around on eBay or the Savage owners forum for an Accustock.
No bedding needed, super stiff if a little heavy, and it'll correctly float the tang.

I was under the impression that accustocks don't fit older model 110's.

Axlrod

WKR
I have the same gun in 6.5 Creed, and one in 223. They both shoot very tight. The 6.5 I was working up loads and 8 of 10 groups were .250" to .400". The gun is all stock. i too would like to get rid of the tupperware but I dont think it will shoot better. I'm getting the 204 next time they are on sale

DEW0341

WKR
B&C is worth it if you can hack the extra weight. I never did this but I have read on other forums of guys removing material from inside the b&c stocks inside the Forend, pistol grip and butt stock area. To each their own it you want to undertake that endeavor. I found the m40 b&c used for 100$. If you find a deal used maybe it's worth it to undertake this job.
My rifle had a Burris xtr2 3-15, b&c m40, Harris bipod, Seekins rings, 22" heavy varmint barrel and nightforce base. Came in weighing 13lbs and some change.

OP
F
I have the same gun in 6.5 Creed, and one in 223. They both shoot very tight. The 6.5 I was working up loads and 8 of 10 groups were .250" to .400". The gun is all stock. i too would like to get rid of the tupperware but I dont think it will shoot better. I'm getting the 204 next time they are on sale

The more I think about it, the less anxious I am about spending $300 on a stock when the gun only cost me $300. If I wanted to spend over $600 I could have just bought a Tikka.

I don’t care if the stock is cheap as far as feel. I’m mostly wondering if it will affect anything if using a bipod.

I replaced two factory Remington 700 stocks with B & C stocks. On both guns the fit, grip and feel was an improvement over factory. One BC stock is the medalist (sp?) with aluminum bedding block. That tightened up my groups by about .5 @ 100 on my varmint gun. Nice stocks, and IMO just as good quality if not better than HS for a better price.

Last edited: