What grain Accubond in .300 wm for sheep/moose hunting in interior grizz country?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Going on a backpack hunt this Aug/Sept and will have dall sheep and moose tag. Interior grizz are around

Have been told by the guide to practice at 500 yards, and that shots are typically between 200-300 yards

Have settled on my .300 win mag, and on Accubonds.

My goal is a sheep, and if we have time left, will then go after moose.

What is the reaction to a 165 grain Accubond?

Obviously a 200 grain A-frame, etc. would be better for shooting a charging grizz, but at what point do you put more emphasis on the intended task (thin skinned game at 200-300 yards) vs. the Oh $hit scenario. I see alot of experienced folks out there with 6.5s and 7mm-08 on their hunts in grizz country, so feel that by having a .300 I am already having a little extra mustard built in for that scenario.

Twist is 1:10, 26 inch barrel.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

elkguide

WKR
I've shot a lot of deer and elk with 165's and 180's out of a .300Win Mag and haven't felt like I needed more. I would go for sheep with either of those weight bullets and with whatever brand bullets that your rifle shoots best.

My 300WinMag shoots 180g AccuBonds remarkably well. You may find that your rifle shoots one grain weight much better than another. I like heavy for caliber bullets for several different reasons.
Have you asked your guide what he thinks is best? I would guess he is planning on carrying bear spray or a hand gun. Have you asked him about that?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
My 300WinMag shoots 180g AccuBonds remarkably well. You may find that your rifle shoots one grain weight much better than another. I like heavy for caliber bullets for several different reasons.

Good advice. You won’t be giving up anything by using a 180 in a 300 Win. Many LONG range hunters are using 215g Bergers in the 300 with 1-10” twist.

Don’t worry about charging bears, that’s part of the $20,000 you are plunking down—armed bodyguard.

Savor that trip!

Weekender

WKR
Another option is 190 LR AB. Been shooting them for a few years, group real tight out of my 300 WM 26” barrel. Preform just like they’re supposed to on animals. 180’s are great as well. Good choice of round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I use 165 Accubonds in my 30-06, They have worked great on moose and deer. I just moved to BC and the 165's is what I will be using for everything here in Grizz country.

hodgeman

WKR
In the .300 there isn't enough difference in trajectory to worry between 165 and 180gr. out to 500 yards. Take what you gun shoots best.

I've hunted sheep, caribou, moose in griz country with the .300/180AB for a dozen years...it just works.

Charging bears are a possibility, but rare- I wouldn't worry overly much about it. I'd focus on clean camping, bear country savvy and concentrate about the sheep and moose tag getting filled.

The .300 with a 180gr Nosler is one of the most popular, if possibly not THE most popular combination used by interior hunters. I wouldn't loose any sleep over a 165, but a 180 is the standard choice.

Bears really wouldn't figure into the bullet choice IMO. If you aren't specifically hunting for them, then +/- 15 grs isn't going mean spit. Most interior grizzlys are pretty small compared to the coastal versions.

Wapiti1

WKR
A .300 Win Mag with most any bullet is better than nothing if a bear attacks. Don't sweat that detail. Worry about hitting a once in a lifetime ram when the opportunity knocks.

I just did a similar hunt for sheep/griz with my .300 Win. The bullet I used was chosen solely on its accuracy in my rifle. I tried several from 180 to 210gr and settled on a 200gr bullet. One shot, one dead bear. Two shots, one dead sheep (one of those shots was at about 5 yards). We saw several bears, and the ones that winded us left the country in a hurry. They wanted nothing to do with smelly humans.

Keep an eye on the ground squirrels. Little buggers will sometimes chew holes in your tent or pack to get to food. One came up to me while I was resting, jumped up on my pack about 2 feet away and scolded the hell out of me for not feeding him some trail mix. That was one irate squirrel. If you are in an area where they see hikers, they get used to a handout.

Jeremy

1st choice would be 200 gr, 2nd would be 180. 165 seems on the light side for a win mag.

mtmuley

WKR
I'd try the 200 grain. If it shoots, it's perfect for the yardages you described. The 200 grain Accubond is a fantastic bullet for a .30. I've used them in a RUM for 16 years. mtmuley

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I'd try the 200 grain. If it shoots, it's perfect for the yardages you described. The 200 grain Accubond is a fantastic bullet for a .30. I've used them in a RUM for 16 years. mtmuley

I shoot a 200Gr NAB in my RUM as well, they are super accurate / reliable. I shot a bear with mine last season and it did do ALOT of hide and meat damage, mind you it was a small bear.

I wouldn't worry about what your hunting with caliber/bullet wise in Grizz country man, if you bump a grizz close enough for it to matter, your goose is cooked regardless of what you hit him with.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have seen a few grizzlies taken with 180 accounts from a 30-06 and 308 with 165s...both worked fine. I can't see why either wouldn't be even more gooder out of a 300 WM. Just shoot which shoots better out of your rifle. Grizzlies are not hard to kill and whatever you choose for a bullet in your 300 WM will be more the adequate should the need arise as getting your rifle out and getting a shot off will matter way more than what bullet you ended up choosing.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get hung up on the "what if" grizzly scenarios. Any bullet coming out the end of a 300 wm is going to be good bear defense. Heck I took my little ole 270wsm to Kodiak this fall and it doesn't get more bear country than that. With that said I've always liked 180 gr out of the 300 wm and after you bag your ram it makes a great moose round.

mmac

WKR
I am in the 200 gr AB camp. I like heavy for caliber and while not the heaviest, out of a WM it gets close to 3000 fps and plenty of energy and penetration.

Picked up 200 of the 200gr AB's for the 300wm just recently. Will use those till im too crippled to hunt anymore i imagine. Cant see how ill ever want for anything more in that particular setup.