Muzzlebrakes, Suppressor mounts, and Suppressors on sporter barrels

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't found a lot on this in my google search so I'd figure I'd ask. I run a Silencerco Omega supressor and my Remington 700s both have varmint contour barrels where this isn't an issue... I recently purchased a Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5CM, which had a muzzle diameter of like .56, so I had it threaded in 1/2"-28. I installed a Silencerco Flash hider suppressor mount on it to get around not having a sufficient shoulder for the suppressor to direct thread to.

Now, I am in the same boat with another Savage, this one being a .300 Win Mag. I purchased a take off varmint barrel to put on it, but realized I would have to drop some coin to get one of the few stocks for the Savage LA. Not real excited to dump a lot of money into a Savage, in case I ever decided to sell it. Anyway, on this one I would probably run 9/16 thread just to help with the barrel thickness after threading, then run Silencerco's ASR brake mount to keep this a cheap budget shooter.

Any of you guys run mounts like this to get around having a sporter barrel? If so, I'd love to see some pics of how you get around having a less than ideal barrel diameter to run a suppressor.

Last edited:

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
be interested to see what everyone says. i am in the process of getting an omega also and wanting to put it on my sako finnlight and my gunsmith doesnt want to turn it down for the 1/2x 28 brake adapter and the barrel isnt big enough to use the 9/16 adapter. so wondering where i should go with it

OP
trslabaugh

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
After reading that, I realize mine isn't big enough either. It'd have to be done to 1/2"-28.

For reference, here is what I did on my 6.5CM barrel. Haven't shot it yet since Vortex was redoing their online process... They haven't shipped my scope out yet!

IMG_3736.jpg

From what I've read 9/16 is suggested min thread for .308 bores.. I'm looking at doing an x bolt 300 wsm and it has just enough for the 9/16".

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
My tracker is still in jail too. I am planning on running it on my 300wsm. Problem is, as long as it is going to take, there is a good chance that I build another rifle in the mean time. I liked the size of the tracker and the weight. Most of the QD supressors only factor in the supressor into the weight and not the flash hider mount they need to mount to. This is why I chose direct mount vs. QD. I am going to order a QD for my Ar's but the ones I shot on bolt action rifles were pretty front heavy.

From what I've read 9/16 is suggested min thread for .308 bores.. I'm looking at doing an x bolt 300 wsm and it has just enough for the 9/16".

I checked with both GemTech and my gunsmith. Both said there would be no issue threading a .308 at 1/2" despite some internet commentary. My gunsmith has done hundreds off them for muzzle breaks and suppressors. So that's what I did. Used a bushing to bring it up to 5/8" and directed threaded a Tracker on to it.

xX9qOUd.jpg

Accuracy was unchanged from stock. Sub MOA with almost anything, and I can usually count on a least one or two internet bragging size groups off the sandbags.

ZDn04P7.jpg

C
Not seeing any downside to just doing a 1/2" thread job. It's not exactly untested ground.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a question for some of you guys who also reload. I have a great load worked up in my 300 wsm. My rifle currently does not even have a brake on it. When my tracker finally gets out of jail, am I going to have to worry about increased pressures. MY reloads are pretty hot right now, barely starting to flatten the primer and I was wondering if the addition of a silencer increases the pressure ever so slightly?

I checked with both GemTech and my gunsmith. Both said there would be no issue threading a .308 at 1/2" despite some internet commentary. My gunsmith has done hundreds off them for muzzle breaks and suppressors. So that's what I did. Used a bushing to bring it up to 5/8" and directed threaded a Tracker on to it.

xX9qOUd.jpg

Accuracy was unchanged from stock. Sub MOA with almost anything, and I can usually count on a least one or two internet bragging size groups off the sandbags.

ZDn04P7.jpg

C
Not seeing any downside to just doing a 1/2" thread job. It's not exactly untested ground.

Glad to hear it's working well for you, makes me feel better about it.

These are some of the places I was seeing things that made me nervous about going too thin-

This one is over the top, basically indicates trouble for any sporter contour.
Muzzle Threading — Don’t Remove Too Much Steel << Daily Bulletin
Thunderbeast says 1/2" is too small for 30 cal.
Thunder Beast Arms Corporation [TBAC] | Tech | THREAD SPECIFICATIONS
Some info from long rifles inc.
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Muzzle Threading – LRI Outlet Store

OP
trslabaugh

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question for some of you guys who also reload. I have a great load worked up in my 300 wsm. My rifle currently does not even have a brake on it. When my tracker finally gets out of jail, am I going to have to worry about increased pressures. MY reloads are pretty hot right now, barely starting to flatten the primer and I was wondering if the addition of a silencer increases the pressure ever so slightly?

EDIT: I am going to leave this up here in case it helps anyone, but the answer is NO. After doing some dwelling backed by some deep reading, the max pressures are way before a barrel's muzzle.

I, originally, said it was yes, because it exposes the chamber to higher pressures for longer. They will increase velocity 10-30 fps, but barrel length/suppressors do not increase the chamber pressure.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's working well for you, makes me feel better about it.

These are some of the places I was seeing things that made me nervous about going too thin-

This one is over the top, basically indicates trouble for any sporter contour.
Muzzle Threading — Don’t Remove Too Much Steel << Daily Bulletin
Thunderbeast says 1/2" is too small for 30 cal.
Thunder Beast Arms Corporation [TBAC] | Tech | THREAD SPECIFICATIONS
Some info from long rifles inc.
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Muzzle Threading – LRI Outlet Store

I saw all those also, which is the reason I consulted GemTech directly. They even had a Tikka mounted with a Tracker on their website, so I knew it was possible somehow. I'm sure that 5/8" is a more optimal solution and I'd rather not using a bushing for sure. However I also realize that most of those guys you referenced are coming from it from a precision (tactical or target) point of view and are running thicker barrels that makes 5/8" a practical and better option.

The "sporter" category of suppressors is relatively newer and clearly there are only a few sporters that can meet that criteria to be threaded at 5/8" so it's essentially a given that they are mounted on rifles with smaller threads. Personally I couldn't find any documented safety concerns and any accuracy issues aren't visible in my gun given the inherent limitations of a light sporter barrel. If I theoretically lost anything due to "belling" then I gained it all back with the dampening effect of the suppressor. Shoots great.

Email from GEMTECH below:

GEMTECH said:
Hello XXXX,

We have threaded 308 barrels to 1/2-28 with our adapter with no loss in accuracy or issues running the suppressor. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Techstaff
335 N. Edgewood Ln. #150
Eagle, Idaho 83616
208-939-7222, Option 2
[email protected]
GEMTECH - World Class Silencers

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
A simple answer, from my personal opinion, is yes. Velocity is usually increased 10-20 fps, which is similar to having a longer barrel. The longer the barrel the more pressure exposure.

What does "...more pressure exposure." mean?

OP
trslabaugh

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
What does "...more pressure exposure." mean?

What I meant by that was the bullet is in the barrel longer, essentially.

For a party free New Year's Eve, my statement made me really dwell on suppressors increasing pressure. My initial statement was wrong.

In reality, it doesn't make any sense to why it would. Max pressure is usually when it hits the lands or a few inches after, depending on the cartridge and powder. Some magnums seem to have a peak a little farther down than most regular calibers. From there, any progress that bullet makes down the barrel is just a further release of that pressure.

gbflyer

WKR
My Silencerco Harvester speeds up the velocity slightly. Group sizes get better, POI shift is about 2MOA.

I ordered an ultra 7 last week and thought I might end up with the CB quick disconnect brakes on a bunch of rifles but this system seems much better and cheaper so I thought I'd share.

[video=youtube_share;TBhYE1IlVec]https://youtu.be/TBhYE1IlVec[/video]

OP
trslabaugh

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
That is pretty cool. I solved my problem of the sporter barrel today. Had a guy offer me something for the gun, so I got rid of it! I'll probably pick up another 700 in 300 Win Mag down the road.

I am still very interested in everyone's adapters around the issue as I don't know how happy I'll be with the one I posted pics of previously. Don't have any reason to not like it, but I over analyze everything! :rolleyes:

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Just for a point of reference, my Kimber Adirondack in .308 Winchester has the barrel threaded 7/16-28 from the factory, so at least Kimber believes that 7/16" major diameter is acceptable on a .308 barrel. I have a SilencerCo Harvester with a 7/16-28 direct-thread end cap waiting for approval. Although I haven't shot it with the suppressor, yet (a few more months of waiting for approval), I thought this was a very elegant solution.

Regards,
Scott

Just for a point of reference, my Kimber Adirondack in .308 Winchester has the barrel threaded 7/16-28 from the factory, so at least Kimber believes that 7/16" major diameter is acceptable on a .308 barrel. I have a SilencerCo Harvester with a 7/16-28 direct-thread end cap waiting for approval. Although I haven't shot it with the suppressor, yet (a few more months of waiting for approval), I thought this was a very elegant solution.

Regards,
Scott

Interesting point. Less than 0.065" thick walls there, dang!

Regards,
Scott

I know a least one guy that used a GEMTECH Tracker on one of those 7/16-28 Kimbers. They had to have a custom bushing made to bring it up to 5/8", but I believe Kimber actually sells them now.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/muzzle-thread-adapter

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting point. Less than 0.065" thick walls there, dang!

Actually, it's even "iffy-er" than that. That wall thickness you calculated is at the major diameter (the peak of the thread). The wall thickness at the minor diameter (the valley of the thread) is only 0.043"! I was surprised that Kimber was willing to run on the ragged edge like that. Hopefully, their engineers and metallurgists know what they're doing!

Regards,
Scott

You gotta think more companies will start spec'ing barrels that get thicker at the muzzles ala Barret fieldcraft with the growing suppressor and brake popularity.