Replacing Browning BOSS

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to replace the BOSS system on my Browning 7mm Mag, A-Bolt and install an aftermarket muzzle brake. Does anyone know any gunsmiths that make a 9/16-24 thread brake? The issue seems to be that the threaded portion of the barrel on the browning is 1" in length. That makes for a long muzzle brake overall. Trying to avoid cutting the barrel if possible. Maybe someone here has done something similar? Looking for suggestions if anyone has any? Thanks!

Fire_9

WKR
I'd get a hold of muzzle brakes and more or Ross Schuler at rossmuzzlebrakes.com. They'll make you whatever you want. I'm not real familiar with the boss system but I think you may have to cut barrel down so the brake has something to shoulder off on if that makes sense. You won't notice much losing an inch of barrel and it never hurts to have a fresh crown

OP
V

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I reached out to Ross Schuler. I've heard good things about him! After sending him the dimensions he suggested that I remove 3/8" of the threads and then his brake would work. Looks like I may have to do that. I agree in that it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Just curious if there were any other options.

PredatorX

WKR
My abolt with the boss makes for a long @$$ barrrel. In the almost 20 years I have owned it, I have never tuned with the boss haha.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Vrybusy
Your gunsmith should easily be able to cut down the thread length and install one of Ross Muzzlebrakes. Are you having the Muzzlebrake turned down in size at all? Not sure how small Ross can turn his brakes down but he should at least be able taper it to your existing barrel diameter at the shoulder.

OP
V

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I gave Ross the barrel diameter and I think he's able to turn/taper down the brake to match or at least get it close. That BOSS system does make for an incredibly long barrel.