Kimber Actions

wyodan

WKR
Could someone tell me what the differences are between the different Kimber actions? I see that there is an 84M, 84L, and 8400 Magnum, but I haven't been able to find anything that discusses or really states what the differences or specifications are? I tried reaching out to Kimber, but they have not got back to me on my questions.

One other question, it seems the Kimber action is kind of similar to the Dakota 97 being a round bottom CRF. Are they very similar? I would really like a Dakota for my rifle, but I think that one is still outside of my price point. Thanks!

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
I thought it was as simple as the M=short action and L=long action, but I'm not 100% on that.

I think you are correct, but that is not all of the information I was looking for. I have heard something about a thinner bolt diameter on some models. I am wanting to fix up a CRF rifle, but I don't like super light rifles, but I don't want to fix up a tank either. So I am trying to find weight, length, bolt diameter, ect. For instance, Montana Rifle Co lists all of those attributes, I just can't find it for Kimber.

hodgeman

WKR
It will be difficult to find that information since Kimber doesn't sell bare actions like Montana does.

The 84M tops out at the standard case head size in a short action length, the 84L is just a longer version of the 84M for the '06 family.

The 8400 is capable of digesting the .375 H&H and the belted mags... some older 8400s are chambered in the '06 family but use a mag block and a WSM version is on a shorter 8400 action still.

Honestly, if I wanted to build a custom I would pick an action that has more aftermarket support than Kimber does. Kimber makes a pretty good product in factory form but building on one from scratch is sort of like going around the world to get next door.

Last edited:
OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
It will be difficult to find that information since Kimber doesn't sell bare actions like Montana does.

The 84M tops out at the standard case head size in a short action length, the 84L is just a longer version of the 84L for the '06 family.

The 8400 is capable of digesting the .375 H&H and the belted mags... some older 8400s are chambered in the '06 family but use a mag block and a WSM version is on a shorter 8400 action still.

Honestly, if I wanted to build a custom I would pick an action that has more aftermarket support than Kimber does. Kimber makes a pretty good product in factory form but building on one from scratch is sort of like going around the world to get next door.

Thanks, that's more along the information I was looking for. I've looked at Montana and Winchester actions, and with Montana they would chamber it in the cartridge that I'm looking at for a small fee. But those 2 are pretty heavy actions being square bottom and all. I like the Dakota action, being round bottom and still a CRF, but they are way outside of my price range.

If I could find an 8400 in the '06 family, then I could just get it rebored to what I was looking for and add a stock. Do you know if they ever happened to make those in a stainless?

oenanthe

WKR
If I could find an 8400 in the '06 family, then I could just get it rebored to what I was looking for and add a stock. Do you know if they ever happened to make those in a stainless?

Definitely. All the 8400 Montana models have stainless actions and barrels. The same is true for the 84L Montana. I believe the wood/blue models are called Classic.

I'm not sure if there's any difference in the 06 actions between the 8400 and 84L. I've held them both in my hand, but not at the same time. I think they're very similar.

hodgeman

WKR

They did make an 8400 in stainless in the '06 family. Since that action is really a .375 action...it's pretty heavy for an '06 (at least compared to an 84L). As a bonus those 8400s will hold 5 down.

If you're looking to build a rifle on the '06 case- the 84L is a lighter, smaller action.

If the weight and size isn't important- you can generally find 8400 Montanas fairly reasonable. That was from a time when Kimber had QC issues and many of those rifles just flat won't shoot and the prices on the used market reflect usually reflect it.

If you're boring out the barrel or mounting a new one.. that won't bother you at all.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
From the American Rifleman online
American Rifleman | Kimber Hunter Rifle Review

Kimber offers four distinct actions for its various grades and models of rifles: 84M, essentially the .308 Win. family but long enough to also house 7x57 mm-based cartridges; 84L, the .30-’06 Sprg. family; 8400 Magnum, belted magnums up to .375 H&H Mag. and .458 Lott; and 8400 WSM for the short, fat Winchester Short Magnums. To this day, that latter action, the 8400 WSM, is one of very few actions actually designed for the fireplug-shaped short magnums.

LaGriz

WKR
wyodan,
I have fondled a few Dakota rifles and I agree they are very sweet! If light weight is not a priority for you, I recommend you find a Win. pre-64 M70 action for your build. Will not be cheap, but you may have a considerable savings over a Dakota. The choice of caliber would play a large part of the decision. If your cartridge choice is one in the 30-06 family that would be best. A model 70 in 30-06 will be easy to locate, and you chance of finding one reasonably priced is much greater. I once attended a gun show in Tulsa, Ok. They had dozens of pre-64's that all had high prices on them. Have since stumbled into some low priced models at various gun shops. I would love to build a .280 AI on a featherweight M70 action. I don't think they made different length actions, but an rifle/action in the .308 length would also be a good starting point. For a short action build based on the .308 case. You might not need to modify the bolt face and the mag length could be a plus if you want to seat longer bullets. A Fed .338, 7mm-08, or a .260 Rem would all work in one of these. Good luck on your build!

LaGriz

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
84M- .223, .22-250, .243, .308, 7mm-08, 6.5, .300 blackout
84L- .257, .270, .280, .25-06, .30-06,
8400 WSM- .300wsm, .270wsm
8400 Magnum- .300, 7mm, .338, .375