COAL question for reloading 6.5 CM

Got a question for anyone that reloads a 6.5 Creedmoor.
I just got all my components to reload for a new gun and I’m trying the following: ladder test from 46.5 to 48 grains of RL26, Lapua brass, Hornady ELD-X 143 gr, and CCI primers.

I measured what a COAL would be touching the lands in my rifle two different ways and did so multiple times. Consistently getting 2.875”.

I built my test loads to 2.851” which is essentially 0.025” from the lands.

I should be fine with that to start correct?

Just making sure. Not a super experienced reloader and I prefer to err with caution.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d go with that and feel good about it. How did you measure your COAL?

OP
F
Used a Frankford Arsenal gauge and the old school way of lightly seating a bullet into a case and measuring the OAL after engaging it.
Maybe not the fanciest tools, but consistently got the same reading many times.

2five7

WKR
.020 is kind of the unofficial standard starting point for hunting loads. Find a powder charge your gun likes at that depth, and then you can further experiment with seating depths if you like. If you can't find a good node, pick the best one and then do the Berger method of depth testing.

FURMAN

WKR
I start every thing at the lands if they will fit in the magazine if not I start at max magazine length. I do this because that is where there will be the most pressure. Your way will be fine you can play with seating depth after you find the best powder charge.

hodgeman

WKR
Those long VLD type bullets are pretty forgiving regarding bullet jump...I'm loading my 6.5 with 143s at max COAL and that puts the bullet 0.082" from the lands. It seems like that's practically jumping a canyon...but it shoots 1/2 MOA with boring regularity so I won't complain.

I wouldn't worry much about 0.020" from the lands using those long bullets when more might actually shoot better.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Those long VLD type bullets are pretty forgiving regarding bullet jump...I'm loading my 6.5 with 143s at max COAL and that puts the bullet 0.082" from the lands. It seems like that's practically jumping a canyon...but it shoots 1/2 MOA with boring regularity so I won't complain.

I wouldn't worry much about 0.020" from the lands using those long bullets when more might actually shoot better.

What do you mean you are at max COAL??? You talking you are using book suggested COAL? I would think you could easily get to the lands in the fieldcraft with the 143 eldx with that 3" mag box.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I start every thing at the lands if they will fit in the magazine if not I start at max magazine length. I do this because that is where there will be the most pressure. Your way will be fine you can play with seating depth after you find the best powder charge.

I do the same thing...work up to find pressure right at the lands. Once I found where pressure is then back off to a plateau in velocity in a few powder charges and adjust seating depth as needed with that powder charge.

I never really measured but I would guess a lot of factory ammo ends up 0.100 from lands and further and nobody thinks twice about it.

hodgeman

WKR
What do you mean you are at max COAL??? You talking you are using book suggested COAL? I would think you could easily get to the lands in the fieldcraft with the 143 eldx with that 3" mag box.
]

Book max, yeah- I can run the bullet out to lands and get it in the box....kinda in the "don't fix it" mode since it shoots so good!