School me on Rails

I thought it would be a good idea to mount rails on a couple rifles and use a similar ring setup so i could swap scopes for load development/different hunts or species. between 0 moa and 20 moa i dont really understand the differences. i understand aluminum is lighter, which is what i would like to go with for my tikka, but i have a 20moa Weaver steel picatinny rail thats going on my savage.

Are there things to avoid? Why are some 35 bucks and others are 60-100. Its just a rail, right? School me before i order my Tikka rail.

gelton

WKR
I am a huge fan of TPS rails and rings. Also a fan of 20MOA's as well...they help you get further down range if your scope doesnt provide enough adjustment and even further down range if it does.

As to price, precision machining vs. mass production would be my guess. For instance TPS rings claim that they are machined to such tolerances that they dont need lapping. I have found that to be true.

Only issue is that I dont think TPS makes one specifically for Tikka but DNZ does and they would be my second choice.

howl

WKR
More money should get you harder material cut to tighter standards. Roughly, very, a 20 MOA rail might be usefull if you shoot past 600 yards. Roughly.

A Ken Farrell rail and matched rings set up would be nice. If lightweight is high on the list, an EGW rail and Seekins rings are about as light as you can get for a reasonable cost.

FURMAN

WKR
I prefer the Nightforce because it does not hang out over the front of the action. The Nightforce light duty does not have a lug. If you are shooting a heavy recoiler I would look for something with a lug. I believe the Mtn Tactical has a lug. I have been told the newest Mtn Tacticals do not hang out over the barrel but their website pic does not show it. As far as 0 or 20 moa I can not see the point of 0 moa unless your scope has less than 50-60 moa adjustment to the point you may not be able to adjust to zero.

OP
A
I should add it will be going on a 7mm-08 T3 lite. Load development/LR scope is an Athlon 6-24x50 and the normal hunting scope is a Meopro 3-9x42 if that makes any difference

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hard to go wrong with Mountain Tac rails with the integrated recoil lug. The receiver already has a spot for the recoil lug so might as well. A 20 MOA rail will give you more elevation dial up on your scope if that is something you plan on doing. Not really a down side to a 20 MOA rail per say so long as your scope has enough elevation to accommodate that.

Mountain Tactical rails are even with the top of the action now and do not hang over.

Os5XGf1.jpg

stevevan

WKR
I use EGW rails and they've worked great. My favorite rings by far are Seekins. I always have the front overhang of the rail cutoff if not needed so it's flush with the end of the receiver. I'm a big fan of Cerakote and it is on about all my hard using rifles so I have the mounts cerakoted to match. I'm at the point I'm converting all my rifles to the rail system as I'm finding it works the best.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the Nightforce because it does not hang out over the front of the action. The Nightforce light duty does not have a lug. If you are shooting a heavy recoiler I would look for something with a lug. I believe the Mtn Tactical has a lug. I have been told the newest Mtn Tacticals do not hang out over the barrel but their website pic does not show it. As far as 0 or 20 moa I can not see the point of 0 moa unless your scope has less than 50-60 moa adjustment to the point you may not be able to adjust to zero.

The point of 20 MOA versus 0 MOA: keep in mind that most all scopes track better in the center of the elevation capacity/window. So buy opting with 20 MOA base, your starting outside center and as you dial up you are moving to/through center. Its not all about getting max elevation capacity.

FURMAN

WKR
The point of 20 MOA versus 0 MOA: keep in mind that most all scopes track better in the center of the elevation capacity/window. So buy opting with 20 MOA base, your starting outside center and as you dial up you are moving to/through center. Its not all about getting max elevation capacity.

This is a fact but I would not own a scope that didn’t track through the entire range. I understand even the expensive scopes have duds so I check every one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro