Kimber Adirondack Owners

RAAK

FNG
I'm not sure what Kimber says but I went 25 in/lb on the bases and 20 on the rings with blue loctite on all. I think Kimber says 65 in/lb on the action screws but I thought that was too much. I go 45 on the front and 35 on the rear. Seems to be working great.

MatukaJoe

FNG
I have a Kimber hunter in 7mm-08. It was pretty accurate out of the box. I do concur its ammo picky. As example it didn't like winchester. Does ok with nosler trophy but while very accurate with these the muzzle velocity varied a LOT, federal coppers work well, but i shoot it best with hornady superformance. SubMoa and faaaast. At the range today my buddies first shot ever using it wss bullseye at 100 yds. This was my first mulie at 150 angled downhill and facing mostly toward me with the same gun.IMG_20171009_224547_100.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Kimber says but I went 25 in/lb on the bases and 20 on the rings with blue loctite on all. I think Kimber says 65 in/lb on the action screws but I thought that was too much. I go 45 on the front and 35 on the rear. Seems to be working great.

65 in/lbs is standard for every action I’ve ever worked with. Whether it’s a factory rifle or a full custom, 65 in/lbs is what’s recommended. Never heard of anyone using loctite on action screws. It’s simply not necessary when the action screws are torqued properly. At 1/3 of the recommended torque value I’m sure it probably is necessary, though.

“Seems like” the firearm manufacturers probably know what they’re talking about on those torque values. There’s a lot of science that goes into torque values on machined threads. Go watch some videos from Ted over at American Rifle Company. Improper torquing of action screws will usually result in a degradation of accuracy. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I spoke with a Kimber tech rep on the phone when I was having some firing pin spring issues. I ask about stock screw torques. Here is what he told me..... The torque settings are 45 in/lbs on the front screw and 35 in/lbs on the rear screw. Slightly snug the front and rear screw down and then tighten the front followed by the rear screw. At the SHOT show another rep told me the same, been using this torque on all 3 of mine and they shoot sub moa.

OP
R
Thanks fellas! Boxes of Federal 165gr Trophy , and Hornady 150gr SSTs just showed up yesterday. I'll be more than ready to break in & start the load ladder when the gun arrives . Can't wait!

Any of you guys use the Tubb Ammo to break in your Kimber rifles? I've used it on several new guns in the past. I can't say that it helped the accuracy for sure, but on every one of those rifles I broke in with the system, they shoot sub moa. So at least it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I have a .308 tubb kit sitting around now actually. Both the Final finish loaded 20 round box as well as the TMS 20 round box. Thinking about breaking the Kimber in with these , but undecided

Last edited:

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
1MOA all day long out of my .308 it likes 165-168 gr ammo and also the 130gr Barnes TTSX (what I usually go with)

OP
R
After 4-6 calls back and forth with my local shop, they now have absolutely no idea when / if they'll be getting my Kimber in house. They refunded me the deposit and said they have no news on the rifles and don't know what to expect from Kimber. Said to "check back with them in a couple of months". Looks like the search continues... what a let down. I see a few of these listed on line in various places still, but not for the good price they were advertising. Now I'm almost wondering if I should pick up the subalpine, or mountain ascent instead, or change gears and go with the Barrett Fieldcraft. That's almost identical to the Adirondack. Time for more research I guess

PNWGATOR

WKR
The Barrett is a fantastic rifle twisted right and room in the mag box with good ergonomics. Whittaker Guns has earned my business with great prices and great service and selection.

OP
R
Just spoke with another gun shop today . They got 2 of the adirondack rifles in , but are chambered in 7mm-08 instead of 308. Since they're basically the same ballistics , I told them to go ahead and put one aside for me. Looks like I'll go get it next week. Guess I need to buy some new dies! Looking forward to seeing how this rifle does

OP
R
Talley Ultralight Lows and a Leupold VXR 4-12x40mm. The scope is not as light as what I originally intended, but the thing has been laying in my safe brand new for over a year, and I couldn't let it just sit around any more. Gave up some oz, but it got the thing out of my safe. Just waiting for a few boxes of loaded rounds to come in so I can break this thing in without using reloads

Last edited:

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Switch to an aluminum trigger guard instead of the stainless one and you will probably get those ounces back. Not sure why Kimber went with stainless for the trigger guard when they were obviously trying to save weight.

There’s only 1.5 oz. difference between the stainless steel and aluminum trigger guards, but every little bit counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I'd bed the recoil lug and while its out of the stock, adjust the trigger down. Then I'd get serious about shooting it.

OP
R
I'd bed the recoil lug and while its out of the stock, adjust the trigger down. Then I'd get serious about shooting it.

I've heard this several places now. Is the rifle just not THAT capable without bedding it? Seems like a lot of people are immediately bedding this thing before heading to the range. Makes a drastic difference? Thanks for the input guys! I'm shopping around for the aluminum trigger guard trying to find one.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I shot mine some before bedding, it made a difference, but it wasn't drastic. They are supposed to be 'skim bedded' from the factory, and they are, but I think they use the same action for all the stocks. I think I heard that someone on 24 hr campfire was making the aluminum trigger guards, but my buddy made mine with a drill and a file lol. He ceracoated it after, along with the rest of the gun, and it looks really good.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Lumley arms makes a Ti handle for the Montana’s, I’ll probably get one, I want to find a trigger guard though, I havnt been able to locate that guy on the 24h campfire.