Kimber Adirondack Owners

I am anxiously waiting for my newest addition to the gun safe to arrive, as well as the lightest rifle I've ever purchased. The Kimber Adirondack chambered in 308. Hunting mostly in the Northeast, with shots rarely ranging past 300yds, I thought this would be ideal for carrying day in & day out. I suppose my question is, what kind of accuracy are you Adirondack owners getting out of these rifles? Mainly concerned about real world shooting scenarios. The more and more I read about them, the more I see guys saying that they just couldn't get the rifles to shoot well (i'm reading 1 1/2 to 3moa in some cases), when they took them off the bench, and put them on shooting sticks, or against a tree, etc. More like real world hunting situations. I spoke with a Kimber rep, and he told me to first try out Federal Trophy 165gr and Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr factory loads. They have had good luck with those. If those aren't 1/2 moa, I will work up a load for it. No worries there. I'm certain it will shoot off the bench just fine. Are these "hunting situation" accuracy problems I'm reading about, just possibly due to poor marksmanship fundamentals with such a light rifle? Guys jamming a lightweight rifle into a tree too hard and flexing the stock into the barrel? Looking forward to any shooting/reloading advice on the new setup. Eager to hear some 1st hand hunting accounts. Thanks a lot in advance . Appreciate your time

rbljack

WKR
I cant provide any advice, but look forward to hearing what others have to say. I have looked at that very rifle in the exact caliber you describe as a lightweight mountain deer/elk rifle with 400 yard and less shots. I keep looking at these and the Mountain Ascents. Unfortunatly for me, all I CAN do is look right now, and read....LOL. Post up your experiences and opinions on that set up after you get some time with it and congrats!

I shot my buddies in 6.5. Sample of one. Well under an moa gun in my hands. I had a 3 shoot 100 group that would fit under a quarter off a sand bag.

It isn’t as robust as some other, heavier guns but it feels like a B.B. gun in the hand and on the shoulder.

He was using those federal you mentioned but in 6.5. The only problem we had is the kimber shot about as well as my $700 tikka super lite (mine may have been a bit better :) and he was cranky that he paid nearly $1850.

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Cant speak for the Adirondack, but with my Mountain Ascent I was having trouble getting under 2 MOA in the beginning, it was very frustrating. First, I had never shot a rifle less than 9lbs before so I had to refine my technique for shooting a 6lb gun. Second was ammo, which Kimbers are pretty picky; I have been pretty happy with Barnes TTSX. Third is barrel temperature; the barrels are pretty thin so when you are at the range popping off a ton of rounds, let the barrel cool down 30sec-1min between shots or 5-10min between groups, you will see a HUGE improvement.

That being said, I get 1/2 MOA out of my .300WSM nowadays...

I shot my buddies in 6.5. Sample of one. Well under an moa gun in my hands. I had a 3 shoot 100 group that would fit under a quarter off a sand bag.

It isn’t as robust as some other, heavier guns but it feels like a B.B. gun in the hand and on the shoulder.

He was using those federal you mentioned but in 6.5. The only problem we had is the kimber shot about as well as my $700 tikka super lite (mine may have been a bit better :) and he was cranky that he paid nearly $1850.

$1850 for the Adirondack? They’re $1450-1550 on GB, with tons to choose from. $1850 is more than what the MA’s are going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I dont have the Adirondack but I have a Montana 308 so same thing just a few oz heavier, 4' more barrel as your Adirondack. Ive had no issues, Right now its got a z3 3-9 on it and I've had no issues with accuracy. The last time I shot it at an an actual shooting range, I was well under an inch at 100 and ringing the steel every time out at 300.

The three loads I found that my gun really shoots well are the TTSX 150g, TTSX 180g and the HSM with Berger bullets 168s... All of those produced results that I'm more than happy with. I also shot several types of Federal red box stuff that were just fine, not as good as the barnes stuff but more than adequate for hunting purposes, if I remember correctly, I was getting ~1.5ish at 100 and still dinging steel, I'd personally have zero issues hunting with that stuff either. Dont believe the horror stories, Kimbers are excellent rifles for their intended purpose.

$1850 for the Adirondack? They’re $1450-1550 on GB, with tons to choose from. $1850 is more than what the MA’s are going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I saw the receipt. Think it was $1750 + 9.5% tax and some chunky fees. My tikka came from Whittakers and an FFL that treats me right on transfers.

One of the joys of living in New York 20-30 miles proximate to NYC, is that guns cost a stupid amount in local shops. $750-800 glock 17s for example that includes their storage while You Wait for the months long approval process but will be deducted the $200-250 restocking fee if your purchase permit is not approved. Boutique shops have a big mark up and big box guys tend to stick with national pricing and discount less frequently. In fairness, the shops earn a premium dealing with extra admin in a way by filing a ton of paper work and storing guns from purchase to approval to pick up. As things have gotten worse over the years a lot of shops have closed and the ones left charge even more.

The fortunate thing is that the NY state and local legislatures, probably in collusion with my wife, severely limit what and how many guns you can buy so it cuts down on my spending. They are also kind enough to be slowly choking off the Ammo availability, so i save money there as well.

Pay attention, as NY and CA and a few other states are where the anti gun folks go to develop their ideas for national application.

Last edited:

WKR
I bedded the recoil lug on my son's 7mm-08 adirondack and lightened the trigger. He was shooting well under 1 moa out to 500 yards off bipods and backpacks. They are nice little rigs.

OP
R
Cant speak for the Adirondack, but with my Mountain Ascent I was having trouble getting under 2 MOA in the beginning, it was very frustrating. First, I had never shot a rifle less than 9lbs before so I had to refine my technique for shooting a 6lb gun. Second was ammo, which Kimbers are pretty picky; I have been pretty happy with Barnes TTSX. Third is barrel temperature; the barrels are pretty thin so when you are at the range popping off a ton of rounds, let the barrel cool down 30sec-1min between shots or 5-10min between groups, you will see a HUGE improvement.

That being said, I get 1/2 MOA out of my .300WSM nowadays...

This is basically what I was told by someone who just purchased a Hunter model. "Give it several minutes between shots and you'll do fine." Maybe i ought to bring a few other rifles with me to the range those days to cure the itchy trigger finger. It makes perfect sense though, with such a light profile barrel. Especially on the Mountain Ascent, which is even lighter than the Adirondack isn't it?

I haven't had to pay in full for mine yet , just a deposit to order it, but I believe it's $1399 +/-? Don't quote me, I don't have the info right in front of me.

OP
R
I don't have a ton of experience in the field with mine, but it's worked great for me. Have shot groups below .5 MOA, but not bigger than 1.5MOA which is fine for the ranges I'd hunt with it. Love the rifle:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/firearms/49104-kimber-adirondack-308-a.html

I've looked over your Adirondack post multiple times. Probably one of the most comprehensive & helpful posts I've read since I started to research buying this gun.

Appreciate the input from all you guys

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple of seasons on mine. It is in .308 as well. I love it for the weight, and the fact that the barrel does not stick above my head while it is in the pack. It was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to shoot such a light rifle off the bench for load development though. I ended up bedding the recoil lug and skim bedding the action. It didn't do too well with factory ammunition, which is ok with me. The first year I got it to shoot very well with 110 TTSX, and not bad with 130 ttsx. I was hitting steel at 600 yards with the 110 lol. I sent it up to my buddies place to see what he could do with it in the offseason. He made me an aluminum trigger guard, polished the feed lips, and ceracoated it, because the stainless steel is not very stainless at all, and was starting to show some rust spots. He developed a couple good loads for it, using the 150 accubond, and the 150 SST for plinking. We both tried to make it shoot 150 partitions, but it was having none of it.

Stid2677

WKR
All my Kimbers shoot MOA or better, I have packed and killed sheep with my Adirondack that last few years and took my last ram at 465 yards. There is some technique needed to learn to fire a light rifle, but if she shoots good on the bench,,, it is not the rifle if anyone can't hit off that bench. Never hear anyone say they suck at shooting, it is always the rifle, the scope, etc..... Are Kimbers perfect,,, NO, but they are a decent rifle for the money and have all the things I like in one. My Adirondack in 6.5CM will be in the SUper Cub again this fall Lord willing, when I head off looking for a ram.

RAAK

FNG
I have one in 308. I skim bedded it with acraglass and after that it shot great with a Leupold FX3 6x42. I don't measure groups but it is under an inch. It is a dream to carry. I do not like the fluted bolt. It makes it feel rough. I will be selling it after deer season to get either a Subalpine or a hunter with MPI stock so I can have a non fluted bolt and a more suppressor friendly 1 in 10 twist.

C Bow

WKR
I have one that shoots under 1 inch at 100 yards bought it used. I cleaned and lapped barrel prior to shooting and I also got rid of tally rings and replaced with steel rings and bases. It is a 308 and is one of the best factory rifles I have ever owned. I shoot Hornady Super Performance 150 GR SST

OP
R
I have one that shoots under 1 inch at 100 yards bought it used. I cleaned and lapped barrel prior to shooting and I also got rid of tally rings and replaced with steel rings and bases. It is a 308 and is one of the best factory rifles I have ever owned. I shoot Hornady Super Performance 150 GR SST

I have a set of Talley lightweights that I plan on mounting on mine. What makes you replace them if I may ask?

C Bow

WKR
Had a friend that had a set that cracked around screws I am not saying don't use them but all my guns have Lepould rings and bases I can not afford for that to happen when I can fix it before I leave home. I have never had any problems with Lepould rings or bases so my attitude if it is not broke no reason to change

RAAK

FNG
Talley lightweights on mine. Rock solid. Used a fat wrench to install. No cracks.

OP
R
Talley lightweights on mine. Rock solid. Used a fat wrench to install. No cracks.

I see Talley recommends 17-20 in/lbs on the ring screws. Do you know what the recommendation is from kimber on the receiver screws ?