Browning Xbolt(280) Experience?

So, I'm sort-of in the market for a new 7mm caliber after selling off my others and the 280 is really interesting me. I briefly considered getting a big 270 or a big 300 but decided against it.

I'm not in any big rush, I was initially considering the new Savage 110s... they're chambering that in 280AI which sounds interesting, but who knows how far out that is... the other option is a Browning X-bolt... gotta say that even in the SS/Synthetic trim they look downright sexy, but looking is where my experience ends.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with these Brownings? doesn't necessarily have to be the 280(although that would be awesome)... I figure if they can make other chamberings accurate/reliable they can make the 280 the same.

I just don't want to buy a rifle that ends up being an expensive 2 moa gun... not that I'm a 700 yard hunter or anything, but I couldn't justify spending that much and having rifles in the safe that cost less than half that outshoot it, you know?

elkguide

WKR
I haven't ever handled and shot a Browning that wasn't accurate. That being said, every one that I have owned, I have sold or traded away without hunting with them. They just don't feel good in my hands. When I throw them up I have to search for the sight. Just not a natural feel.

But as I said, just the way they feel to me.

hodgeman

WKR
I had an X-bolt in .270...shot 3/4" with three different factory hunting loads.

They are a nice feeling rifle- modern and cleanly machined. A guy could do far worse.

Holaday

FNG
I’ve got the xbolt white gold medallion in 30-06, I like the feel of everything. The plastic mag is a bit of a let down and you can’t load the mag while it’s in the gun. It’ll shoot 1.5 MOA consistently which is good enough for hunting at the distances I’m comfortable shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experience with 6.5 creedmoor and 7mm-08. .6 moa with handloads in the creedmoor, but will shoot the Hornady precision 143 and nosler ABLR 129 all under an inch.

7mm-08 is at .4 moa.

I highly recommend them. The magazine is a polmer, not just plastic. If you handload, you will be limited if you like stretching to the lands. It's never been a problem for me.

I have an XBolt Stainless Stalker in a 300H&H and love it. It shot 1" with factories and .75" with handloads.

What drew me to this gun is how well it feels in my hands. I also really like the 60* bolt throw and a safety that remains on as you can cycle the bolt. The grip to the stock I really like. I have read that some have had their stock become too tacky to use, but I haven't noticed that. McMillen now makes a great aftermarket stock for XBolts, for a backup.

Timney just came out with an aftermarket trigger for the XBolts, if you don't like the trigger. I think the trigger is good, not great.

The magazine box does restrict the length of the bullets but the box did allow me to lengthen my H&H bullets longer than a factory round. For a hunting rifle, I don't need my bullets right off the lands. .75" is good for me.

Overall, for a $750 rifle, I love it. It is pretty sexy too.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
I own 2. One in 6.5 Creed, one in 28 Nosler. The 6.5 I bought last year right before deer season and wanted to hunt with it, no time for load development. Loaded up a bunch of 123 Amax at ".020 off the lands, they shot right at 3/4" groups. 2900 fps with RL17, 22" barrel. This gun impressive me enough that I wanted another one, hence the 28 which I've had for a month but haven't shot yet.

I haven't checked max mag length on the 6.5, but the 28 will easily fit and feed a 3.6" coal. I wouldn't go any longer than that though.

If you get one, definitely buy a lighter trigger spring for $15, brings it down to about 2.5 lbs.

Looks like they have a few different models available in 280, but they all have 22" barrels and 10" twist rate. Fine if you want to shoot 160 and lighter bullets.

I own 2. One in 6.5 Creed, one in 28 Nosler. The 6.5 I bought last year right before deer season and wanted to hunt with it, no time for load development. Loaded up a bunch of 123 Amax at ".020 off the lands, they shot right at 3/4" groups. 2900 fps with RL17, 22" barrel. This gun impressive me enough that I wanted another one, hence the 28 which I've had for a month but haven't shot yet.

I haven't checked max mag length on the 6.5, but the 28 will easily fit and feed a 3.6" coal. I wouldn't go any longer than that though.

If you get one, definitely buy a lighter trigger spring for $15, brings it down to about 2.5 lbs.

Looks like they have a few different models available in 280, but they all have 22" barrels and 10" twist rate. Fine if you want to shoot 160 and lighter bullets.

Where are you getting the trigger springs?

OP- My 300wsm stainless stalker xbolt has been a favorite of mine. It has printed a bunch of bughole groups. That said, if you're looking at $1000 rifle to justify its price solely in accuracy over a 500$ rifle you might be disappointed. Bolt rifles of all prices typically shoot sub MOA. What you get with an xbolt is a stock with a really nice shape (imo), a really nice recoil pad, a smooth 60 degree bolt action, and nice flush fitting magazines.

OP
J

Thats the part that was annoying me about it. Every other 7mm variant they make has at least a 9.5... its just the 280 that has the 10. I don't plan on shooting 175s or anything, but, I'd like to have the option to shoot VLD/ELDs... I guess I'd have to stick to the 140/150.

OP- My 300wsm stainless stalker xbolt has been a favorite of mine. It has printed a bunch of bughole groups. That said, if you're looking at $1000 rifle to justify its price solely in accuracy over a 500$ rifle you might be disappointed. Bolt rifles of all prices typically shoot sub MOA. What you get with an xbolt is a stock with a really nice shape (imo), a really nice recoil pad, a smooth 60 degree bolt action, and nice flush fitting magazines.

Oh no, I'm not thinking it'll be '$500 more accurate than x'. I just didn't want to drop the coin and discover its more of a showpiece than anything.

2five7

WKR

Both mine have this spring, very noticeable improvement.

Browning X-Bolt Trigger Spring Kit - Aftermarket Trigger Adjustment

OP
J

Both mine have this spring, very noticeable improvement.

Browning X-Bolt Trigger Spring Kit - Aftermarket Trigger Adjustment

Thanks for that! If I end up getting one I may need it.

My best friend has an x-bolt in .280. The .280 caliber has been my favorite since 1999, and I have killed dozens of head of game with it. Flat trajectory, high BC bullets with substantial weight. I absolutely love it. The only time I vary from the .280 is when I am not backpack hunting, and elk are on the menu. That said, I have shot all but 2 of my bulls with a .280.
My friends .280 shoots very well, sub MOA with anything I've seen him feed it. I load all his bullets for him now, he likes the 154 Hornady Interbond on top of 57.5 gr of RL22. Shoots .45 at 100 yds and has accounted for his last 8 elk and 7 deer. I shoot a very similar load, but an SST instead of Interbond, and both of my .280's print under .5 with it. If you are thinking of getting a 280AI, just get a 7mm Mag instead. Cheaper ammo and brass and you are accomplishing the same thing.

asac12

FNG
To the people who have installed the M-Carbo spring, what in/lbs did you torque your action screws at? I removed the stock on my .300 WM Hell's Canyon Speed to wipe it down after it got sprayed with sea water and currently have the front and back screws torqued at 35 in/lbs. The manual doesn't give a spec and I emailed Browning twice and got different answers (35 and 40). I also read to torque both screws to 20 and increase by 5 on the front screw only until you're satisfied. Any thoughts?