30-06 Load Recommendations/Q's

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Reaching out for some load advise/suggestions. I recently procured new equipment to start this hobby. It's something I've wanted to get into for quite a while so I patiently purchased equipment as I could. I'm using rifle hunting as an excuse to extend my year...and start a new hobby.

As such, I am interested in reading about any 30-06 load recommendations for deer/elk. The only antlered animal I ever shot with a rifle was a nice bull elk a few years ago using Barnes factory ammo (168gr TTSX bullet @ 330 yards). He only went 35 yards.

Thinking about starting out with this bullet. I'm looking at their reloading data. The suggested powder is IMR 4064. Based on research so far. Many 30-06 shooters utilize IMR 4350. This is a slower burning powder than the 4064 (something I'm learning about).

I see the test barrel they used for this data is 24" long. I'm shooting a Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker with a 21" barrel. Would a slower burning powder be more efficient in a shorter barrel?

Thanks for any suggestions

Gorp2007

WKR
I shoot the 168gr TTSX over RL17 out of my Tikka T3X with good results. RL17 is supposed to be very similar to IMR 4350 and it was available in my area, so that's what I chose. Barnes recommends a starting charge of 52.0 grs and a max of 55.5 grs for the TTSX and Alliant lists 56gr as their recommended load for a 168gr projectile. The Lee reloading manual lists a max of 56 gr and that's what I've used to get ~MOA accuracy (depends on how I'm shooting that day). Be warned that I've gotten differing pressure signs depending on my brass. My Barnes/Remington brass is fine at 56 gr but my nickel plated federal ended up popping some primers. As always, start low and work your way up.

I really like copper bullets for reasonable shot distances. In the 30-06 I like 150 grain copper bullet to help increase the speed. I am a big believer the harder you push copper the better the performance. I use 150 Etips with 57 gr H 4350 in Winchester brass and cci 200 primers. Shot many elk and deer and always had great results with this combo.

The 150 copper is going to perform close to a well built 180 grain lead core bullet designed to retain weight. I’ve never had an issue getting a pass through with 150 grain etip.

If you want to shoot what I feel may be an even better bullet look into Hammer bullets. I shot 3 animals with them this year and was really happy with the results.

I've shot and loaded for my 30-06 for years. The load I currently have in this rifle is one that worked very well in two 30-06 rifles I have owned. Exact same load and seating depth. Yes I got very lucky. 165 gr. bullets are what I have always loaded and I am a huge fan of Nosler bullets. The 165 gr. Accubond or Partition would serve you well. Go to Shooter's Pro Shop to get some great deals on tarnished or seconds that work fantastic. If I was going to shoot something like the Nosler E-tip I too think I would drop down in weight to the 150 gr. E-tip to get a bit more speed. The E-tips I have tested in gallon water jugs from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards have all performed very well. I tested the Accubonds and Partitions at the same time looking at penetration, expansion, weight retention. You won't go wrong with either of these bullets.

Many folks on different sites to include the Nosler Forum have had great success in the 30-06 with IMR4350 and H4350 along with many powders, but those seem to be favorites of quite a few. If you have several different brands of brass, only pick one to work up your load with. Pressure and other things will be completely different and could cause you issues, and it would be very hard to work up a load with mixed brass like Winchester, Remington, Federal, and others while trying to work up a load. If you have rat-piled a lot of Remington brass, or Winchester brass while waiting to get a loading set-up, then use that to work your load up with. Now work up to the load I am going to show here as is common sense to do so. This same load as I said has worked in two very different 30-06 rifles though. Folks with the 165 gr. bullet seam to have 56-58 grs. of IMR4350 or H4350 as being in the sweet spot someplace in there as to where they find the one for their rifle, but again all rifles are different.

165 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partition
IMR4350 57.4 grs
Winchester brass
Federal 210 match primer.

In my 30-06 which is a Ruger 1B with a 26" barrel that load chronographs at 2940 fps. Best of luck.

boom

WKR
I did a very brief stint at reloading. It fit my OCD tendencies perfectly.

I don’t remember my best load for my M70 30.06, but I know it’s the exact “most accurate” load in that green Nosler reloading handbook. I bet it’s online now. The bullet was the Sierra gameking. 150 gr.

It was heads and shoulders over the rest in accuracy. Clover-leaf holes all day long. I do miss reloading, but the lack of gun ranges here makes it a non-starter.

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to ask about mix'n matched brass but you answered my question about that already. I have quite a bit of Barnes brass so hopefully that will be one less factor. Fortunately, I work a block away from a very nice range so the opportunity to shoot often is handy. Thanks.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 165 accubonds over 4064. A half grain under max as per hodgdons data gives me 3k fps from a 24" tube and 2850 fps from a 18" barrel in a carbine. I've tried both flavors of 4350 and couldn't match the velocity I got with IMR 4064.

I picked up some 168 Barnes for it last month but won't try them until spring so I've got no data there.

From my experience a slower burning powder requires a longer barrel. In a 21" barrel I would try 4064 first, then both H/IMR 4350's and re17 in that order until I found satisfaction.

The last time I tried 150's was about fifteen years ago. In the '06 they don't get started much faster then a 165. IMO if a guy wanted to drop down to a lighter bullet I would be more interested in a 130 at 3400 fps then a 150 at 3050 fps when I know I can get 3k fps from a 165. .

I have been using superformance with two different 06s with good results (165s and 180s). My original reasoning for trying it, is that it meters amazing, but accuracy and velocity have been good. In my rifles, accuracy has been better with SF than either of the 4350s.

260madman

WKR
I’ve used Ramshot powders with great success in the -06. Hunter and a 168 NBT is 2960 from a 24” barrel. Accurate and devastating.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have used 168 ttsx and a case full of H4350 for a long time. Also used Hornady SST for a while, but didn't like the terminal performance on game. Very accurate though, and cheap.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
I've had best luck with Winchester brass as far as lifespan and consistency. Then Remington. I generally avoid Federal, it's notoriously "soft" to get good accuracy out of the box.

Many people will say run Lapua. I wish I had the budget to try it!

The biggest rule of brass has already been covered - stick a brand and work with it, don't mix and match brands.

You can certainly refine your brass even further if you wish. Some people sort cases by weight.

I track the number of times each case has been fired and habitually anneal and length trim. Also started to neck turn.

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I hit the range yesterday for my first crack at shooting reloaded ammo out of my 30-06 A bolt stainless stalker.

Started out shooting 165gr TTSX bullets with 55gr of IMR 4350 at three different seating depths into Barnes brass (.050, .075, & .100 off lands). .050 off the lands yielded a 1.18" group at 200 yards. Much better than the other two depths. Next I'll try incremental changes to the powder charge. Barnes lists the max charge at 57.5 gr. I'll slowly work up to that.
View attachment 65695

In addition, I'm going to start reloading for my .243 for my wife and kids deer hunts. Maybe antelope for me as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've had best luck with Winchester brass as far as lifespan and consistency. Then Remington. I generally avoid Federal, it's notoriously "soft" to get good accuracy out of the box.

Many people will say run Lapua. I wish I had the budget to try it!

The biggest rule of brass has already been covered - stick a brand and work with it, don't mix and match brands.

You can certainly refine your brass even further if you wish. Some people sort cases by weight.

I track the number of times each case has been fired and habitually anneal and length trim. Also started to neck turn.

with brass, in my experience it dosent matter too much but I always stick to one brand when working up a load. If I’m going to use FC brass, I use it for as many rounds as I’m doing.