Bolt lock down problem

I have a Ruger American that the bolt always seems to open on while hunting. I’m thinking about upgrading to a Remington 700 but I know those don’t have a bolt safety either. Anyone have any problems with a 700 having the bolt come open while hiking or hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you hunt with an empty chamber, just hold back the trigger when you close the bolt. This will lower the firing spring to the uncocked position and make it harder for the bolt to fall open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Other than Yellowknife's suggestion, any gun without a bolt locking safety will be very similar depending on how you carry it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Hectocotylus
Assuming you hunt with an empty chamber, just hold back the trigger when you close the bolt. This will lower the firing spring to the uncocked position and make it harder for the bolt to fall open.

I hadn’t thought of that, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was 10 years old my dad bought a Remington 700 mountain rifle for my brother and I to use on deer and elk in western Colorado. We used it for over a dozen years all over the mountains on idk how many hunts and the bolt never once came open on its own. Just my experience.

I've considered putting a rubber band around the bolt knob and then around the trigger guard. If I need to cycle the bot that rubber band isn't going to stop me but it will prevent my bolt (Cooper Model 52) coming open on its own. I do hunt with a round in the chamber because my hunting is typically thick lodgepole and if you have any delay you probably are not getting a shot.

Fire_9

WKR

I do this with one in the chamber as well. As long as you lower the bolt slowly you'll be fine