6.5 Ruger Precision Tactical

I ran across a used one and had to snag it up- over $500 off price.

Seems like a decent LR set up. This one didn't have a break though it is threaded. I put my bi pod on and am searching for the right glass. I will use this for all around everything from dogs to elk.
I expect LR to be around 1200 with it.

My 2 scopes I am viewing are the
Swarovski Z5 Rifle Scope 5-25x 52mm

The other is the
Nightforce SHV Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-20x 56mm

I have a NXS 5.5x25 already on a LR set up and it is sweet. I just don't want to drop $2K on a scope again.

I am kind of eyeing the Leupold VX-3i LRP Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 50mm too
- I have some Leupolds, but they are all more a sport set up or small cal deer rifle, and not sure how well they track compared to the Swaro or NF

But the $$ of the Leupold seems nice

Just wondering what the opinions of these 3 would be?

OP
mfllood3800
I have a Burris XTR 4-20 on mine. Or look into a LRHS. If you are going to be dialling, get a scope designed for dialling......

Yes I am dialing which Is why I listed the ones I did. They are all dial turret systems.
That Ruger looks sweet with the accents. I was looking at going all desert sand, but your set up is pretty dang sweet looking.

OP
mfllood3800
That Burris just made my list. It fits everything I want incl FFP, and the $$ is better than my other options- thx.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Burris XTR II 4X20 with the SCR reticle on my 6.5 AR 10 and love it. It has tracked accurately so far for me. I know it's not the top of the line, but it fits my needs and the glass is decent.

howl

WKR
I can't make a suggestion for the scope, because I don't know what you'll do with it. However, I will suggest keeping turret quality as the primary qualifier over all else if you intend to dial. Long term dialing accuracy is a step above what most hunting scopes offer.

OP
mfllood3800
I can't make a suggestion for the scope, because I don't know what you'll do with it. However, I will suggest keeping turret quality as the primary qualifier over all else if you intend to dial. Long term dialing accuracy is a step above what most hunting scopes offer.

Agreed. My top 2 choices were scopes I figured had great repeatability.
Night Force, Swaro

The Leupold caught my eye, but for reasons you mentions I wasn't sure it would meet my needs.
I have no intention of bench shooting or competition.
I was looking for a larger cal AR, with more accuracy and power down range, but didn't want the chambering issues the larger cals often create.
I discovered this used Ruger and knew it was what I wanted.

Now I have more gun than I planned on, but also now have a better gun.

Mostly hunting local areas for yotes, deer, elk, antelope.
Will also take on trips to my sniper buddies and we will shoot some fun distances.

I really like the Burris. But dang son, as heavy as a NF. I would imagine that has some decent internals and tracks great?

I really want the NF SHV.
I will be ordering today so trying to gather intel, and make a good decision.

OP
mfllood3800
I couldn't find anything local so I called John over at Fierce Arms, and he had the Night Force and rings I need so I am gonna head over there tomorrow and pick that Glass up.
I appreciate everyones help. When I was browsing NF website I noticed they have my gun on their page
lol
My Ruger, their scope- it was a sign from above.

lol
I just need this done tomorrow as I leave town for a week, and am under crazy schedules to do anything fun this time of year.
Glad they are only an hour or so away.
Who knows I may leave with another rifle.

OP
mfllood3800
Got the NF on it.
Went to fierce fire arms shop picked up the scope and they let me go in the back and mount it right there on my gun which man I got the lap the Rings level everything perfectly and get it installed
Great guys

Then I rushed back home grab some ammo a new Target and went to the range and got my hundred yard dialed in stacking bullets, so I shot out to the 300 target, rang steel right in the middle twice. Then I thought ,What the heck, found a 598 yard Target a milk jug and drilled it ....this rifle and scope are a great combination
I didn't even have a dope yet
Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
01bb5cd589e6a19a7842d72b48e8acac.jpg
09680bd183cb65b632d1f3c975a381ae.jpg
9c8aac1342d6f404ff5bef66f87cfb05.jpg
c46efa8f5e4885b1b846f669798986a5.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
Got my brake installed today. I had to use a .005 brass shim I use on my head clearance for race motors in my RC planes. A little trimming and it was a sweet fit.

Then I adjusted my trigger to about 2 lbs. It was maxed at about twice that I think.
Cant wait to get back out and see how it groups now.
Just need to get over this stupid flu. I heard 4 people died in a town close by from this thing. It is kicking my butt for sure.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
It looks like you are leaving some ring spacing on the table. Any reason you didn't max the spacing out?
I used the rings they had in stock. If they would've had the extra high set I wouldve probably gotten those. But right now I am set pretty good, but a thick pair of lens covers may not fit.

Did you install the Ruger brake on yours or go with another?
I just used a stock one.