New Rifle- Caliber/Load Discussion For Big Game

-sRo-

FNG
Hi all!

First post here.

I would like to talk about the Hornady Superformance 6.5 Creedmoor with 120gr. GMX copper alloy bullet. I am firing this round out of an 18" barrel with a Silencerco Omega silencer.

I don't have any experience with the round as of yet and I have no experience in hunting anything larger than a Whitetail Deer.

I am curious if this setup would be sufficient on big game including moose and elk shooting no further than 300 yards.

Here is what I have gathered from looking around online.

-The round is rated for big game up to 1500 lbs. because the GMX bullet has about a 95% weight retention. Out of a 24'' barrel the bullet is rated at 3050 fps at the muzzle. On average a 120gr 6.5 creedmoor will loose 21.8 fps per inch shorter barrel length. That puts my velocity at about 2920 fps at muzzle.

Thoughts on this setup?

Thanks!!

JigStick

WKR
Shot placement trumps displacement. If you got lucky enough to miss bone and delivered the energy to the heart muscle or lung tissue I would say your fine. I mean people kill moose and elk with bows all the time. The 6.5 Creed and 6.5x47 have both taken elk with good results. You have to know your limits and stick to it.

However, guides may have restrictions on minimum caliber size. So that could jam you up. And the other more likely scenario is the following:

You trained for the past year, and spent thousands of dollars on your hunt. You've been stalking for 7 days. And 35min before sun down on your last evening you see your trophy elk walk out and bugle at 550yds. At that moment youre going to wish your had brought a 300winmag

The 6.5 will work just fine with the GMX. Keep in mind the GMX is the hardest lead free bullet with a minimum impact velocity of 2000 fps but I would say you want 2300 + or more. Europe used the 6.5x55 on moose forever so the caliber is certainly capable although they generally used 160 grain bullets. I do like your lead free bullet choice just make sure you know the limits which are no different than any other lead free but you will loose your speed faster. I have shot a cow with 130 accubond from my 260 and it performed just fine. Shot quartering to with entry in front of the near shoulder point and found the bullet outside the opposite hip just under the hide. That is a pretty long bullet path especially with a 130 starting at 2900 fps. Shot was 100-150 yards.

2five7

WKR
That rifle certainly can get the job done, provided you don't ask too much of it, and you do your part. That being said, if I was heading out on a moose/elk hunt, I would want something with more punch. Is that the only big game rifle you own?

Last edited:

V65Magna

FNG
I'm shooting a 6.5X47 Lapua, and I'm quite comfortable with it for deer and maybe some bigger species up to 350 or 400 lbs. Lately, I've been thinking about getting something with a bit more "oomph" and have been reading up on it. I really did not want a belted magnum or a short mag configuration, so after much contemplation decided on a 6.5 X 284 Norma and have it pending on order from the Savage custom shop. Maybe this would be a cartridge to consider? I'm aware of the barrel life concerns but outside of an F-Class shooting scenario, I think it's less of a concern.

Thoughts on your setup....

If you limit it to 300, you should be fine.

My wife shoots a 6.5 creedmoor with a 22 inch barrel with a 127 Barnes LRX and I feel comfortable with her on an elk at 500 based on her shooting ability.

I have a 26 nosler that I'd shoot at 800 or less of I had to on an elk. However, my longest shot on 3 bulls is 60 yards.

Oldffemt

WKR
Plenty of people get it done on elk with a 243. In my experience, if you can punch both lungs they don’t go far. I shoot a 3006 though. Know your limitations and practice often and you’ll be fine.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Can you. Yes!
Is it very ill advised. Yes!
Having killed a fair amount of elk and being honest enough to admit that the best laid plans and intentions go awry. Shoot the biggest gun you can accurately and comfortably manage.

WRO

WKR
Can you. Yes!
Is it very ill advised. Yes!
Having killed a fair amount of elk and being honest enough to admit that the best laid plans and intentions go awry. Shoot the biggest gun you can accurately and comfortably manage.
+1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A friend of mine who is a native told me that on the reservation it was common practice to shoot moose through the ribs with a .22lr. Does that mean its a good idea? In my experience, these questions about how small one can go to kill big game animals are generally posed by people who A) have little experience but want reassurance that what they might have read somewhere is right, or B) people with little experience who already have their mind made up and just want others to agree so they can feel better. Sorry to seem a little harsh, but its a life you are choosing to take. I like to think of what id prefer to be shot with in these situations. A large projectile that if placed in the vitals would leave no doubt of a quick clean kill if things got all western, or a bare minimum cartridge that could potentially make a mess if placement and conditions werent absolutely perfect. When another creatures life hangs in the balance, why not plan with a greater margin for error. Lord knows im certainly not perfect.
Best of luck

FURMAN

WKR
As already stated any bullet will most likely kill any animal with a correct shot placement. Let's be honest with our selves for a second. Where do you hunt or intend to hunt? Have you hiked around in elk country? Moving around in elk country is not easy. Now let's pretend you shot an elk with a 140 grain bullet and ran 100 yards over the top of a ridge in vegetation so thick you can barely move through it. You are going to have a hell of a time finding the animal. Why would you not just use the correct tool in the first place. With big animals like elk bigger is better period. If you make a good shot the animal is far more likely to drop in its tracks. If you make a bad shot it is far more likely to bail you out.