300 win mag barrel contour

Justramit

FNG
I bought a new howa 300 win mag which I thought had #6 24" barrel. When I received it, it has #2 contour barrel. I usually like the heavier barrels for accuracy and am trying to decide rather to swap it out. I kind of like that it is lighter but it is only 1.3# difference and am afraid will hurt accuracy. What you guys think? It is the howa multicam.

4ester

WKR
Is this a hunting rifle? Intended Range and Use? I’d shoot it before assuming it’s not accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Justramit

FNG
Has sub moa guarantee I am planning on using it for hunting. I just wonder how it will be with multiple shots and barrel heat in magnum. Had a remington 25-06 mountain rifle one time with really thin barrel. More than a couple shots and it was everywhere. Hate to shoot it in case I dont like it. They will trade it out as of now but probably wont if i go shoot it.

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a bunch of light and sporter weight rifles that shoot sub-MOA.

Heavy barrels are better for long strings of fire, generally easier to shoot well, have less felt recoil, and heat up slower.

None of which really applies to a hunting rifle. I sure wouldn't pack around another pound for those benefits.

handwerk

WKR
I have a #2 lilja on my M70 300 H&H and to me it's the perfect contour paired with the mcmillan stock it sits in. With a 3.5-10x42 swaro Z3 it weighs 7 3/4 lbs and is plenty accurate.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a light weight 7mmRM with a Hart #3 and a 6 shot group, fired relatively quickly (<30 seconds between shots), could be covered completely by a quarter. The barrel was quite hot afterwards. I think the main thing is whether the barrel is properly stress relieved. That is the main difference between factory and customer barrels.

-David

OP
J

Justramit

FNG
Ended up shipping it back to buds they said would exchange it for the one with heavier barrel like I thought I ordered.