6.5 Creedmoor Aoudad factory ammo

Cdpp880

WKR
If you can find a factory accubond or a barns bullet that is what I would use and would feel very comfortable killing efficiently. I used to hunt with partitions only but have been trying the accubond on a few guns and have really liked the performance so far.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hiwsbrly believe bonded bullets are overrated for the velocity at which 6.5 Creedmoor can throw a 140+ grain bullet. In my experience they hold together more than well enough even with a 2850 fps MV (which is smoking got a Creedmoor) and the less the velocity the better a standard cup and core that has worked on game for ages works. A 6.5 wsm or SAUM sure I can see using a bonded or TTSX style bullet if you expect closer shots but a Creedmoor where average impact velocity is likely 2600 fps or less a c&c bullet is more than adequate just like a 308 win.

I’m not sure that the 6.5 Creedmoor with bonded bullets is a great combination, especially when you add longer ranges. What I’ve experienced is that while it does make it easy to hit exactly where you’re aiming due to low recoil and high BC, it isn’t really a quick killer, even with bullets that fragment and exit.

The high SD of the 140 gr rounds means that they penetrate well, giving it the ability to do things like kill a moose or an elk with a double lung shot, but you’re still talking about a relatively small bullet traveling at a moderate velocity.

Bonded bullets tend to kill more slowly than those that fragment, and do most of their damage from being driven at a high velocity and cutting tissue to create blood loss. Many people comment that even fast rounds like a .270 or comparatively larger .30 caliber cartridges kill more slowly than bullets with conventional construction.

I think what you might end up with in the Creedmoor is an animal that will absolutely die, but could run a very long way before doing so. If you’re able to track and recover it that’s great, but I hunt areas where it is very difficult to do that.

Cdpp880

WKR
Luke makes a good point about the velocities of the creedmore. Although I have seem very good results out of the partition and accubond at lower velocities. I guess I should say, stay away from the very fragile bullets like the matchkings, a-max..... I have seen a few killed no problem with rem cor-locks and they worked fine. They will all work if shot placement is right. it’s when a poor shot is made that a bullet that will give a pass through comes in handy finding the animal. I just prefer tracking an animal with 2 holes than one very small one.

The bull I got this year was shot clean thru both shoulders at 458 yards. Instant kill, with an exit. One of those pesky 'very fragile' 140 gr Amax bullets that everybody should 'stay away from'. But then I prefer to anchor them 'rat thar', rather than to 'prefer tracking an animal', no matter how many 'holes', big OR small.......