Pistol Advice for Deer

IdahoElk

WKR
What pistol/scope do you guys recommend for someone wanting to try hunting Mule deer? I normally don't shoot over 100yrds as it is with my rifle so figure shots would be under 100yrds.
Thanks

N2TRKYS

WKR
Stainless T/C Encore 308 with a silver Leupold VX3 2-8x32. It's alot farther than a 100 yard setup, though.

For 100 yards and closer, I've used my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel. I've hunted it with a Bushnell scope and without.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
Stainless T/C Encore 308 with a silver Leupold VX3 2-8x32. It's alot farther than a 100 yard setup, though.

For 100 yards and closer, I've used my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel. I've hunted it with a Bushnell scope and without.

Thanks for the reply,that's the gun(T/C) that I was looking at!

howl

WKR
I really don't like magnified scopes on pistols; too slow and awkward. Good irons or a mini red dot that replaces the rear sight is where its at.

If your eyes can do it, a six inch .44 with Patridge sights will do 100 yards on deer. If not, save some barrel length and get a mini red dot. A six inch barrel carried crossdraw or a 4" carried strong side is about all I can fit on my belt when driving or sitting. The bigger guns require other carrying options that start to compare to carrying a rifle.

Which one you get is down to personal preference. I prefer double action, so I can avoid the risk of spooking a deer by cocking the hammer on short range shots. I learned that the hard way. I much prefer a tuned S&W trigger to a Ruger, but its not like Rugers don't work. Trijicon, Shield and Leupold are the prime suspects on the red dots. If they're too blurry you can try a holo sight, but that gets back into things that don't fit well on a belt.

Hunter6

WKR
When I lived in SC I handgun hunter a lot. I bought a 44mag super Redhawks from Ruger with a 7.5 in barrel. You could top it with a 2x or 4x scope and shoot as far as you can hold steady. My limit was about 60 yards.
Those large revolvers are a blast to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon C

FNG
Never used a scope but 460 s&w would be my first choice hollowed by a tc 45/70. Both are extremely accurate and good for longer range.

KJH

WKR
Scoped .460 S&W.

Next is .44 Mag because there are so many options.

Ovahbored

FNG
I’ve also been considering a pistol for deer hunting. Not sure what your budget is but the CVA Scout V2 seems like a steal if you are looking for a single shot. The Ruger Redhawk and Ruger Blackhawk are also good options. Not sure if you have seen the BFRs made by Magnum Research but they are just awesome if you are into single actions. A BFR in 454 Cassull would not only get the job done but do it with style.

Jon C

FNG
I'd stick with S&W,Ruger,Freedom Arms, or Magnum Research in a revolver. Everyone I know that had the Taurus got rid of them for one reason or another.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I really prefer the single actions for handgun hunting, especially the ruger blackhawks / bisley models in 44mag or 45colt. Get um set up with good front and rear sights to your liking. Find a good cast lead hunting bullet with a wide nose and bang away. Hit em in the right spot and you’ll have a blood trail that anyone could follow. The 460, 480, 475 L, and 500L, will get the job done as well if you go the really big bore route. Lots of quality options. I carry my hunting handguns in cross draw shoulder / chest rigs.

howl

WKR
.44 mag ammo ain't cheap. If you're comparing revolver prices, spending more than Taurus money is a little easier to consider when you figure its not very many boxes of ammo difference. Also: Gun Review: Taurus .44 Magnum (TIS005) - YouTube

You can also look at the new .44 Special GP100. Hot .44 Special is as good as standard .44 Mag for deer. A hard cast bullet does not have to go all that fast to get full penetration on deer. A .44 mag gets to be a hand full when you go above standard 240 grain performance in a packing size revolver, anyhow.

Getting good enough ammo for the Special is not always as convenient as just picking up a box of magnum 240gr XTPs. It's just another thing to consider as you might shoot one revolver better than another. Grips and enough weight distributed as you prefer make a difference. How things fit and behave under recoil makes a difference just as holding your rifle repeatably makes a difference in group size off the bench.

KJH

WKR
Is the Taurus Raging bull .44 a good choice?

Guns are an individual preference. I have a LOT of people who buy multiple Taurus revolvers from me over the years. They like the quality but love the value. If its in your budget, I wouldn't run away from it. Honestly, I've never had anyone try and trade in a Taurus revolver or try and return one because they didn't work. Are they the very best gun on the market... hell no. Will they work well for someone who shoot 200 rounds a year and likes to deer hunt with it a few times... hell yes. Just make sure it feels right in your hands.

I've taken deer now with several .44 magnums and they all worked. Just figure out what you like and go with it. I prefer the .460 because its so accurate at long distances. Handgun hunting made deer hunting fun again for me. I highly recommend it.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
Guns are an individual preference. I have a LOT of people who buy multiple Taurus revolvers from me over the years. They like the quality but love the value. If its in your budget, I wouldn't run away from it. Honestly, I've never had anyone try and trade in a Taurus revolver or try and return one because they didn't work. Are they the very best gun on the market... hell no. Will they work well for someone who shoot 200 rounds a year and likes to deer hunt with it a few times... hell yes. Just make sure it feels right in your hands.

I've taken deer now with several .44 magnums and they all worked. Just figure out what you like and go with it. I prefer the .460 because its so accurate at long distances. Handgun hunting made deer hunting fun again for me. I highly recommend it.

The .460 is quite the gun!

I have shot several animals with a t/c contender in 7/30 waters imp. It is good out too 250 no problem.
Also have shot a few with a 44 mag Ruger blackhawk bisley. Good out to 100 or so.
Handguns are not for everyone. Lots of practice is required to even become half assed in the accuracy department.

I Lots of practice is required to even become half assed in the accuracy department.

Lots of truth in the above. As a "Student" of the handgun professionally for 20+ years.....it takes a LOT of doing to be decent. Clean kill with an open sighted handgun is something to be proud of.....really have to know and respect your max distance and shot presentation.

Last edited: