Tikka 7mm mag

ptb

FNG
Hello all. I am interested in buying a Tikka stainless in 7mm mag with a 24” barrel. My research has been that the Superlight is only available in a 22” barrel. The t3x light has a 24” barrel in 7mm mag not the superlight. Am I wromg? Thx, Pete

Holaday

FNG
That’s what I’m seeing on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

ptb

FNG
thx for response. Jon Boy, you must have bought it thru Cabelas???? I know Sportsman's and cabelas have "special additions" in the superlight. I did not want the camo stock.

mt100gr.

WKR
My t3 superlite 7mmRM has the 24 inch barrel also. My understanding is that the wsm and mag chamberings have 24 in barrels and I have never seen otherwise in person - other than a.few special edition rifles. I bought mine at SW with a black stock.

OP
P

ptb

FNG
hmmmmm.. the Tikka website only shows the 22" barrel model # JRAXSL70 . Sportsmans lists the same model # JRAXSL70 in a 24 "..... I went into my local Sportsmans and they only had 22" barrels in the superlite......

mt100gr.

WKR
On a 7 mag? I also have a black Superlite in 30-06 that indeed does have a 22" barrel. I still haven't seen a 7mag lite or Superlite that wasn't 24". Now I am curious if they changed something...

....I just looked at the tikka site and wont argue that it does say 22. I cannot imagine why, hopefully a typo.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I still have a T3x 7rm at home, I will measure the barrel tomorrow. Good to know as I was thinking of selling it.

At one time, tikka had 22" barrels on all their "standard" cartridge barrels and 24's on their "magnums", regardless of lite vs super lite....

it'd be a shame if they dropped the 7mm, 300wm, etc... down to a 22" just because it's a "super lite"

OP
P

ptb

FNG
Yea I am a bit confused. It is accurate that the superlight is only available through sportsman’s and or cabelas?

mt100gr.

WKR
As far as I know. Though I have seen them occasionally at other dealers, new rifles listed as show specials or limited editions.

there was a time Cabelas advertised the superlite as a "cabelas exclusive", long before the t3x when they were only making t3 lites and superlites. At the same time parent company sako was making an A7 "tecomate" and an A7 "big game" with the "big game" being a cabelas exclusive also and the other being offered elsewhere.

OP
P

ptb

FNG
Ok, well thank you for the input. I know the Tikka t3x lite is not that much heavier so if the superlight is not available in the 24” then I will go with the lite version in stainless. Thx again for your help

ianpadron

WKR
All magnum chamberings from Tikka come with a 24" pipe, even the Superlites. Their website is incorrect, I've got a buddy with the same rifle you are looking at (7mm Rem Mag SL) and it has a 24" barrel. It wouldn't make any sense to have a 22" barrel on a magnum round anyway.

mt100gr.

WKR
I agree it wouldn't make sense but I'd be shopping with a tape measure. Everyone is cashing in on the lightweight craze and that is one way to shed a little weight. I have always seen what Ianpadron describes above. The Tikka website seems to rarely see many updates but the superlite info is relatively new. I hope it's a slip on their part but how do you mess that up when rifles are your business?

Trial153

WKR
yep 24 on the t3xlite in 7rm. looking at it next to a t3x compact which is 20...

OP
P

ptb

FNG
thx for all of the replies. I finally made it to Sportsman's and they do have a 7mm mag TK3 superlight with a 24.3" barrel. Bit surprised Tikka has not fixed their website. Anyway, hope its a shooter. Pete