rings help

ptb

FNG
just bought Tikka 7mm mag in ultralite. putting a leupold vx6-hd 3x18x44 on it. any advice on rings?. thx, Pete

OP
P

ptb

FNG
sorry... also gun will have a 20 moa picatinny rail on it.

I love burris signature zee rings. The inserts are self aligning and also prevent your spendy glass from getting scratched. Shoulda bought stock in them, i have them on most everything and have turned a large number of folks onto them. Best of luck.

howl

WKR
Seekins are as light as you can get without going to exotic materials. If lightweight is not the priority, TPS are real good. Above that level you should be looking at matched rings and bases.

3forks

WKR
You can call Leupold and get some guidance from them.

I was debating which rings would work for me on the same scope, but on a chassis gun. Leupold''s tech support guy got me squared away with a suggestion on the rings I should consider and an explanation on why I needed the particular height.

I could find other rings from different manufacturers for the height I needed for a little less, but bought Leupold rings because I appreciate good customer service.

OP
P

ptb

FNG
will the Burris rings hold up to the recoil of the light rifle in 7mm mag. Leupold suggested the the PRW 30mm medium. was thinking with that picatinny rail i could get away with the low rings.... any experience?? thx, Pete

Burris rings seem to be the standard. A scope losing zero ruins a hunt. A couple more screws weight 2 oz or so and mitigates a lot of failures.

A lot of low rings also have a notch cut into them that doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Seekins seems to be the worst. The bottom side of their rings is really thin. Tps isn't immune.

Warne mountain tech lows probably check the most boxes on a lightweight rig.

100$ or so

3.4 oz

.887 height

No weird notch on the bottom.

3forks

WKR
You could run into bolt clearance issues with lower rings. Also, it's not as common, but the lower rings could brass to bounce off your windage turret when ejected.

No bolt clearance issues on a tikka.

The lower ejection port on the t3x Negates any issue with brass clearance on anything less then swfa classic scope

I love burris signature zee rings. The inserts are self aligning and also prevent your spendy glass from getting scratched. Shoulda bought stock in them, i have them on most everything and have turned a large number of folks onto them. Best of luck.

I too, have the Burris ZEE Rings holding my Burris 4.5 X 14 X 42 mm Scope, on my 7.5 pound, Tikka T3, Stainless Lite, in .270 WSM and have shot about 80 rounds of 140 Accubonds, going over 3,000 FPS to 3,150 FPS thru it with, NO problems. The size I used was the Mediums in Nickle Finish on Weaver Silver bases (weaver bases are slotted, like a picatinny rail ) after, degreasing and loctiting the bases and installing the ring lowers I lapped the rings but, they were very straight, without lapping.
Be sure to get the thru Bolt pressed hard against, the slot "Face" before tightening Ring, to Base. Hope this helps,.. Good luck !
The .270 WSM has about, the same recoil as a 7mm Rem Mag ( I used to own one ).

Sportsman's Wharehouse, would probably have what you need ( they had my Bases and Zee Rings ) and IF you put them together loosely first, to see if it "fits" without lapping or, scratching the Rings, you could exchange them if, necessary, for the correct size, IF you need to ( save your receipt!). They are about 2ozs heavier than the DNZ ring / mts, but they are,.. STEEL ! As a former Gunsmith I never got used to trusting Aluminum,.. a personal choice, tho !

TwoTikkas

WKR
The Burris Sigs must be OK. I've run them on light rifles like Kimber and Tikka ,in 30/06 and 7 Rem mag. In a heavier M700 chambered in 280 AI. Assorted short action rigs as well. Scopes ranging from the 3-9 Leopold,to a monstrous 50 mm 4-16 Viper on the 30mm tube.

rayporter

WKR
the reason for the signature rings is so you don't need to lap them. and if the scope needs corrected to get a centered reticle to POI you can do it with the rings and not be turning the knobs until final zero. this leaves you reticle centered when finished with zero.

with 2 twenty moa inserts you can get 40 moa of elevation if needed and not need a 20 moa mounting base.

all with out marks on the scope.