30-06 at a disadvantage?

4ester

WKR
I think some people put too much emphasis on caliber. A little more powder and speed from the -06 but really it’s splitting hairs. Chances are both will shoot better then the guy running the trigger. Buy the one that you will shoot the most, as the more time you spend with it the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
To answer the original ? given identical platforms with identical bulletts the accuracy potential is a complete wash. The 308 has a better accuracy reputation for a couple reasons, 1 is it's a common chambering in tactical and precision rifles that are very accurate. 2 is the match ammo that goes with that. 3 would be it recoils less than the 06.

To me you need to answer a couple ?s for yourself. How heavy of a rifle are you looking for. An 06 in a 6.5 lb rifle is a handful, whereas a 308 is more manageable. Are you going to scope with some type of bdc reticle? Typically they work best with bullets starting at 2850-2950 fps. In the 308 that will limit you to 150s with 165s being close. In the 06 165s will fall in that range and 180s will be close. Really potatoe-patato though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think some people put too much emphasis on caliber. A little more powder and speed from the -06 but really it’s splitting hairs. Chances are both will shoot better then the guy running the trigger. Buy the one that you will shoot the most, as the more time you spend with it the better.

I'm a big fan of both. Between the two, the more important choice is what bullet you choose for whatever purpose, than the extra MV of the '06.

The 30-06 will always have a potential velocity gain of around 150-200 fps with the same bullets and barrel length, but if the 308 is not enough gun, the 30-06 probably isn't the best answer either.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
The 30-06 will deliver the goods about as well as anything else. it just depends on the rifle and the ammo.....and the trigger nut.

rhYk1Pd.jpg

Y0YDbTx.jpg

DlvSi36.jpg

0xImWvV.jpg
What rifles you got there?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

What rifles you got there?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Both the same rifle, some years apart. Rem 700, Douglas #7 barrel, Badger Ord floorplate, bolt knob, brake, lug. McMillan A2 stock, currently a SWFA 12X MilQuad scope on a 45 moa Badger Ord rail.

Built by Iron Brigade Armory in Jacksonville NC, back in 2000.

Last edited:

bhylton

WKR
consensus seems to be that:

-- 06 offers 150-200fps more velocity
--06 delivers more downrange energy
--06 has a wider range of bullet weights that compliment its performance
-- recoil between and 06 and 308 is similar.
--accuracy is general equal
--factory ammo is great for both

--all in all, the elk probably wont know the difference. But i would not walk into a sporting goods store knowing i was buying an elk rifle and walk out with a 308 win if a 30-06 was available. to me it comes down to shootability and the 06 and 308 are too close together to not take advantage of the extra oomph of the 06 hunting a tough critter. 308 is a wonderful round but not my choice in this bout. good luck to ya

would load up some Barnes TTsx solid copper in either, get them to line up you might get a pass thru on both deer in one shot!!!

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Not necessarily.

More impact velocity will generally cause faster and more extensive bullet expansion/fragmentation.

If pass-throughs are your goal, look for a heavier and 'harder' bullet.

Thanks to you and all for the replies.

Quick, ethical kills, fast recovery, and maximum meat retention are my goals. In my experience, pass through shots result in a better blood trail, which in turn can lead to a faster recovery. Im sure I’m over thinking it.

JP100

WKR
There is about exactly 5/8ths of **** all between them haha.
Accuracy comes from the gun, not the cartridge!!

Look for a good solid bullet, slow and heavy wins the race for DEEP penetration from all angles, and generally LESS damage than a smaller, faster bullet. Id look at 180s or even 200s. Shooting 180s in my .303 at around 2200fps and they will shoot the length of most animals.

Plenty of options out there, and you wont go wrong with either caliber.

Most likely somewhere in your head you are leaning toward one or the other. Get the one you want, find the round the gun likes the best, shoot the crap out of it to get comfortable with it, and have fun hunting with it.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I just started reloading. Thought it'd be fun to see what I could get out of my cheap hand me down Browning A-bolt stainless stalker chambered in 30-06. Last Friday I had two MOA groups at 200 yards off bags. It's way more accuracy than I ever thought the gun or I was capable of putting down. Just going to tinker with a couple different loads but I'm glad I didn't sell it and get a .308.

LaGriz

WKR
rootacres,
If you reload, consider the 30-06AI. You have all the advantages over the .308 already stated with a little more velocity. Recoil should not be a major factor with these (now 3) choices. Should be able to really push those heavier bullets with this cartridge.
As for the 165 accubonds not penetrating the off side of a med-bodied deer, I can sympathize. In December, a broadside lung shot on a cow elk from my 338-06 killed quick but didn't fully penetrate. The 200 grain accubond was not recovered as I was too pre-occupied to look for it. Have been told I'm over thinking this, as the cow died instantly. I just was surprised that at 100 yards, while missing the large bones this big pill didn't exit. I wonder about the possible results at longer range on a larger animal. I'm getting good accuracy with the load and find little reason to change.
LaGriz

The 30-06 will deliver the goods about as well as anything else. it just depends on the rifle and the ammo.....and the trigger nut.

rhYk1Pd.jpg

Y0YDbTx.jpg

DlvSi36.jpg

0xImWvV.jpg

This exactly ^^ One of my personal favorite hunting / target rifles is a 30-06. In every way the 30-06 will out run and out perform the 308 with 180 and heavier bullets. With that said either will work. The 30-06 will work better at 300 + yards especially with the 180-200 gr range bullets.

Buy what you want and like. You can't go wrong with either.

Good hunting

Don't have a .308, but been hunting with an 06 for around 15 years. I had been thinking maybe i would move up to a .300 WSM or WM, but just last weekend I shot a large cow elk at 190 yards, complete pass through, dropped her instantly - any of the bigger .300s would just have been a waste of energy at that range - wife's cow last year was at 320 - same thing, complete pass through (we both shoot 168 ttsx at around 29-2950 fps). It is nice to have the extra energy, but it is not needed. Plenty of .308 users. I like the 06 a little more due to extra velocity, but that same argument can be used for every round as you go up the power chain - at the end of the day, shot placement is paramount and either will do just fine. Look at weight vs case capacity, vs action size etc... the performance will be nearly identical to 3-400 yards.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a more specific question. With my 308 this year I shot 2 white tail bucks, one at 240 yards, the other at 270. Both animals were double lung shot through ribs only and the bullet didn’t pass through the hide on the opposite side. Of note, these are central Mississippi piney woods deer and aren’t that big. I shoot factory Nosler Trophy ammunition with 165 grain Accubonds.

In that situation, do you think would I get a complete pass through with the 30-06?

I've never used them but I thought Accubonds were supposed to be a tougher bullet than the BallisticTip. I use 165g BT's (Federal Premium, cant seem to better it with hand loading for that gun) in my .30-06 for deer exclusively. Shot deer from inside 30 yards to over 400 yards and I've never recovered a bullet. I always wait for a broadside shot and I have found fragments of copper a time or two but there has always been an obvious exit wound. All were central Washington mule deer (not small bodied at all).