How much weight could I take off a 700

Cdpp880

WKR
I have a rem 700 in 7mag that was my first gun I got myself a long time ago. I really like the gun, it shoots great and I have killed allot of animals. Don’t really want to get rid of it but it is moderately heavy. It is a synthetic stock stainless steel 7mag with the floored hinged plate I got in 1998.
How much weight could I knock off by replacing the stock with a mcmillian, manners, wildcat.....?
Other than stock what are some other cost effective ways to cut weight?
Is it realistic to get it under 8.5 lbs with a vx3 3-10x50?

LaHunter

WKR
What is the wt of the bare rifle now? Not sure I would spend McMillan $$$ to maybe cut a few ounces vs the factory tupperware stock on a factory rifle. Maybe look at aluminum base / rings.

muddydogs

WKR
Best thing you can do is take off the factory stock and weight it then compare weights with aftermarket stocks. When I was looking around for a lighter stock for a 7mm Win 70 I found that aftermarket stocks weighted about the same, if they did weight less its was only a few ounces and the cost of the weight savings was $100+ an ounce.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short answer is not with just changing the stock. The stock on there now is pretty light. I'm guessing at most a new stock might net 6oz. You'll have to break the scale out and wiegh everything

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a similar rifle but had a wood stock so the change netted more savings but the replacement was a cheaper ie heavier b&c mountain ti stock. I fluted the barrel and bolt and trigger guard. It would have been cheaper to buy something else but I'm pretty attached to this rifle so it was worth it to me in the end.
c206f88106d18bf0336ac9fc476b15f1.jpg

rayporter

WKR
likely save more wt by cutting a couple inches off the barrel. cheapest option.

flute the barrel and save an ounce or two but at a severe cost.

don't forget to take into account the stock may need bedded. add the wt of the bedding to the wt of the stock. and if you paint it add a little more to the wt.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
If I do keep the gun I will get a new stock for it anyway. I can get the bolt fluted and trigger guard skeletonized pretty cheep. It has leupold base and rings and don’t have a problem switching to lighter ones. I would be more than happy with the weight of the above rifle, if I could get there without going crazy on price. Say under $600

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bolt fluting and trigger guard together probably netted less than 1 oz. The barrel flute netted a couple I think. I used twisted barrel out of Wyoming to do the work. His estimate was pretty accurate might be worth checking into. You'll save some wieght with Talley ul rings. Light wieght stock replacement might just eat up most of your budget. In hindsight I wish I would of went with wildcat. My b&c stock came shipped over the weight they said and ended up a bunch of work to fit anyway I'd never use thier product again.
That rifle has a 24 barrel and no bottom metal so just keep that in mind.

wyosteve

WKR
Buy once, cry once--send it to Lex Webernick, Rifles, Inc. My 700 .338 weighs in at 6 1/4 lbs. with Swaro. 3-10, and 4 rds.

I had the exact same model and caliber of gun. Like you, I didn't like the weight. It's not a tank, but heaver than I like for a mountain gun.

Maybe not what you're thinking, but after penciling everything out I sold it to a buddy and bought a Tikka in the same caliber. Saved about 1.5 lbs, and the trigger and actions both felt like an upgrade to me. I was out less than $200 when it was all said and done.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
Yeah the more I think about it this may be what I do. One of the things I don’t like about the Tikka is the twist rate. How heavy of a bullet will their 7mm or 300WSM shoot well without allot of load development? Also how much room is in their mag?

I had the exact same model and caliber of gun. Like you, I didn't like the weight. It's not a tank, but heaver than I like for a mountain gun.

Maybe not what you're thinking, but after penciling everything out I sold it to a buddy and bought a Tikka in the same caliber. Saved about 1.5 lbs, and the trigger and actions both felt like an upgrade to me. I was out less than $200 when it was all said and done.

Yeah the more I think about it this may be what I do. One of the things I don’t like about the Tikka is the twist rate. How heavy of a bullet will their 7mm or 300WSM shoot well without allot of load development? Also how much room is in their mag?

Hopefully some of the more serious shooters/reloaders will see this and chime in. If not, maybe start a new thread with that question. I didn't have time to develop a new load last year after getting the T3, so I used my existing loads with a 154gr bullet and they grouped fine. I plan on staying in the 150-160gr range when I do make a new load going forward, and haven't done any research on heavier bullets so I'm not the best guy to answer your question.

DRUSS

WKR
Mpi saved me 14oz on my 325WSM with the lightest stock material they offered. And that was with a palm swell, Sims pad and slight cheek rest. But it was $$$ . Skeletonized action probably save 1/4# . Fluted barrel or a carbon barrel? But I think most these options add up enough you could be looking at a new gun replacement?