new rifle/caliber suggestion

ofl0926

WKR
hey whats up everyone. hope the new years is treating everyone amazingly.
so narrowing my choice of hunt this year, i believe it will be rifle hunt. shots will be around 450 or less. probably looking more ffor a 350 under shot. Im thinking of taking my weatherby mark v 270 wby mag or even my new 6.5/300 wby mag but i am tossing the idea of a new rifle LOL. its always fun to buy something new lol
anyhow, brands i was looking at was another mark v from weatherby, Christensen arms or even montana x2. i will not be hiking but there will be some minor hiking when trying to position for a better shot.
any suggestions between these rifles? how about caliber?

yes i know this is mostly opinions but i like hearing opinions and suggestions from members that have more hunting experience.

thanks guys

NDGuy

WKR
I've heard from numerous people to stay away from Montana Rifle Company. Shitty customer service and for the money you can get something way better.

CA or Weatherby are nice from what I have heard on here. I personally own a Tikka T3 that I love but sound like you want something a little higher end then that.

As for caliber the ole 30-06 is not sexy but gets the job done especially under 400 yards. Otherwise maybe pick up a Mesa in .300 Win.

slick

WKR
I have a 30-06 and a 300win mag. Not gaining much with the 300 over the -06 as far as hunting shots concern besides a bruise at the range. I won’t buy another rifle for quite awhile, but when I do. It’ll either be re-barreling my -06 to a 338-06... and/or picking up a 260rem lightweight rig.

Having those three in the stable would be more than adequate for anything in NA. 260, 338-06, And 300WM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR

LightFoot

WKR
If I had the money Id buy a NULA. Id be between 7mm-08 or 270.

http://newultralightarms.com/
They are good...
f25363582c6df94a080c4eba566a064e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You already have a 270 and a 6.5. Great cartridges.
If you want a new rifle you may want to consider a .30 magnum or bigger as suggested by Lightfoot.
Since you have Weatherby, the 300 WBY and 340 would be natural.
I went 30 Nosler in a CA Ridgeline, and am happy. 33 Nosler or one of the 338s would be cool cartridges too.
New rifles are fun...

Muttly

WKR
If you could order a Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag, with a 1-9 twist instead of 10, would let you sling heavier bullets, have the benefit of ammo or brass pretty much every where.. Run a brake or suppressor if desired.. And not terribly heavy..

Seekins Havak in 6.5 for the money very hard to beat, $2000. great customer service the rifle is a tack driver

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20" barrel a couple of months ago. With a sling, B&C stock, buttstock shellholder(with 8 rounds in it), Talley lightweight rings, and a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope, it weighs 7.5 pounds.

I love this little rifle. It's very accurate and didn't cost a fortune.

I'm shooting 120 grain NBTs at 3,000 fps and 140 grain Accubonds/Partitions at 2830 fps.

howl

WKR
What are you hunting? Where? What do you want the gun to do for you? Must it be a bolt action?

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
What are you hunting? Where? What do you want the gun to do for you? Must it be a bolt action?

rifle will be used on whitetail/mule deer. maybe iowa or nebraska. what do i want the gun to do for me... well, just be reliable and a tack driver. i love my weatherby rifles for that reason but always love buying a new rifle and a new caliber.

mmac

WKR
I was surprised recently to see the costs of the Weatherby rifles now. Nothing against them, but if you need help to justrify something new why not try a cooper. They are in that same range and you can pretty much get it however you want it. Not sure what you have in your quiver, but 264 win mag would be a good addition and a little less recoil than your 6.5.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I was surprised recently to see the costs of the Weatherby rifles now. Nothing against them, but if you need help to justrify something new why not try a cooper. They are in that same range and you can pretty much get it however you want it. Not sure what you have in your quiver, but 264 win mag would be a good addition and a little less recoil than your 6.5.

Cooper does make an amazing rifle. Everything I have read about them is all positives

How about a 6.5SAUM/6.5PRC if you want to stay in the 6.5 family or a 300 Norma if you want to go big. 300wsm is a great middle ground.

davsco

WKR
Cooper does make an amazing rifle. Everything I have read about them is all positives

BIL had two that were great but he ended up selling those and getting HS Precision's. I'd get a cooper excalibur in a heartbeat if they made them in lefty. under 2k for a very accurate rifle with a great trigger.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
BIL had two that were great but he ended up selling those and getting HS Precision's. I'd get a cooper excalibur in a heartbeat if they made them in lefty. under 2k for a very accurate rifle with a great trigger.

Where are you finding them for under 2k?!?

mmac

WKR
They have a standard laminate that usually sells for under $ 2k. The excalibur's are all higher now and some approaching $3k .