Lightweight Build vs Buy

RedRidge

WKR
Looking for some input or anyone who has done the same. I am leaning towards either building or buying a lightweight short barrel rifle. Currently have a .270 and a 7RM, but looking to get away from the magnum crave. I am thinking .308 right now for pretty much deer, elk, and possibly a moose trip coming up. I really like the looks of the Barrett Fieldcraft with the 18in barrel and overall weight. I would like to be capable to 400 in prone with bipod, but realistically field shooting positions out to 250 as I have yet to take any big game past 100 yards with my rifles. Grew up a bow hunter so I am used to hunting that way and end up getting close.

What's everyone's thought on buying something like a Fieldcraft or trying to build one with similar specs? Forgot to add I am a lefty so would prefer to have one in left handed. I am a novice reloader and have only loaded for my Tikka 7RM which is what I will take on my moose trip if I do not buy/build one. As far as budget goes I think the Fieldcraft would be the top end of it, but could move other weapons to fund. Open for discussion on caliber or similar ideas to meet the above wish list.

Leebob

FNG
Being a southpaw doesn’t make things easy for you. If a right hand rifle isn’t a deal breaker then you will definitely have better luck finding a true lightweight. The Barrett looks like a nice rifle. Kimber also puts together a decent lightweight at a reasonable price, no lefties though. Howa makes the Alpine Mountain, 20” barrel, detachable mag, Banser stock, sub 6 lbs. Righthand only.

The only true lightweight left hander I know of is a NULA, 4.75- 5 lbs depending on action. You may be able to find a decently priced used one, but new you are talking 3k. Tikka makes fairly light rifles, and left hand rifles. You should be able to find a T3 Light in left, weighing in just under 6 lbs. for decent money.

The problem with trying to build a true lightweight left hander is finding a truly lightweight action, the down sized actions and/or bolts of the Barrett and NULA save significant weight and really help reducing overall weight. I have a M700 left hand that has been slabbed, custom lightened bolt handle added, 22” Shilen no 1 contour barrel screwed on, and set in a Brown Precision Pound’r stock, wearing a Leupold 2.5-8x36 in Talley lightweights. All that work, and it weighs in at just under 6 lbs bare and 6lb. 10oz. scoped. Reducing weight from an action by fluting bolts, lightening bolt handles, slabbing actions etc. Only saves a couple ozs. but can cost significant money. Long and short of it is that you could buy a left hand Tikka off the shelf, pay significantly less and end up with a rifle that weighs virtually the same. Hope this helps.

Last edited: