Shortening a 30-06

wentrot

FNG
Have a Kimber Hunter in 30-06 that I’d really like to get cut down to 20 inches for the handiness of it and to shave a bit of weight.

Hoping to get your thoughts on any possible negatives(if any?) Iv read some conflicting things during my google searches. I feel like the velocity drop would be to small to really notice but felt the need to ask the more experienced folks before I take the plunge!

JP100

WKR
Chop it!!

the only down fall is muzzle blast and noise.

I run a 20" .300wsm and have a can on it.

Short barrels make rifle so much easier to carry and point. The recoil/noise/muzzle blast would concern me more than velocity loss

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am a fan of short barreled rifles. You didn't state how long the barrel on your current 30-06, but I am going to guess its 24". In which case you'll only likely lose 100-125 fps but gain a shorter handier rifle.

OP
W

wentrot

FNG
Thanks guys, you are correct that it is currently at 24 inches-I cant tell you how much I hate that 24 inch barrel in the blacktail woods. I ran it by the gunsmith today and he expressed concern about throwing the rifles balance off and making it difficult to shoot without a rest. My shots are all under 200 yards for the most part so think I should be OK.

My mind is starting to wander about what else I should add to the list to shed a bit more weight while its at the shop......

Thanks guys, you are correct that it is currently at 24 inches-I cant tell you how much I hate that 24 inch barrel in the blacktail woods. I ran it by the gunsmith today and he expressed concern about throwing the rifles balance off and making it difficult to shoot without a rest. My shots are all under 200 yards for the most part so think I should be OK.

My mind is starting to wander about what else I should add to the list to shed a bit more weight while its at the shop......

I wouldn't do it. I m an avid 30-06 shooter myself. Basically what is going to happen is you will create a 308 win. YOU WILL loose at least 150 fps. Also I m not sure if you hand load or not, but if you do, you will loose the FPS bump with the slower burning powders in a short barrel. You will notice considerable muzzle flash with the maxed loads in 30-06.

I don't agree with the gunsmith either about the balance. I have cut down plenty of barrel heavy rigs and found it to be just the opposite.

I would go out and buy a dedicated light carbine that suited your style of hunting blacktail.

Now with all that said, its your rifle and in reality, the only one that will notice any difference is YOU.

The deer are going to die just as fast regardless if it's 20" or 24" pipe :cool:

Cheers, let us know how it turns out!

N2TRKYS

WKR
Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you wanted a short barreled rifle, you should've bought a.308 or something in a .308 parent case.

Your rifle already weighs less than 6 pounds, right? Would the cost be worth what little weight savings you'll get by shortening 4"? If that answer for you is yes, then have at it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Chop it if that’s what you want. I ran 17.5” on my .308 (which was ~100fps slower than 24”) and 22” on my 300wsm.
Bullets aren’t going to bounce off the deer if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
If balance is an issue after the chop, there is about 5.5oz of silicone poured in the butt stock that you can dig out of there with some elbow grease.

My Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor should be right at about 5lbs once I get the barrel back from the Machinist chopped to 19".

OP
W

wentrot

FNG
If balance is an issue after the chop, there is about 5.5oz of silicone poured in the butt stock that you can dig out of there with some elbow grease.

My Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor should be right at about 5lbs once I get the barrel back from the Machinist chopped to 19".

Curious to know if you have removed the silicone from the butt stock of your hunter and how you went about doing it? I will have to keep that thought in mind if balance is indeed an issue. Im going to go for the chop this week and go to 22 to see how it feels before removing the rest.

Another vote for a dedicated rifle. I cut two inches of my Tikka, but if a was looking for a 200 yard Blacktail gun I'd likely buy something different before I cut a Kimber.

BigWoods

WKR
Curious to know if you have removed the silicone from the butt stock of your hunter and how you went about doing it? I will have to keep that thought in mind if balance is indeed an issue. Im going to go for the chop this week and go to 22 to see how it feels before removing the rest.

I did remove it from mine and it took some considerable effort. Basically, I used some long screw drivers and knives the break the stuff up, then use channel lock pliers to pull bits out of there. I was able to get down to the base of this pistol grip. It took maybe two hours in my case and my arms were sore by the end of it. That said, 5.5oz saving on a rifle for a little bit of effort is quite a lot.

I'll warn you that it will sound more hollow afterward. I fixed this by shoving some high density foam in there (which added maybe .2oz back).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t like 24” barrels either, I’m getting my 375HH cut down to 20” soon. That being said, my 30-06 came with a 22” barrel and I haven’t noticed or even cared about potential velocity loss from my old 24” 06.

Jimbob

WKR
I would sell the 30-06 and buy a 308 and cut that barrel down. The reason you have the longer cartridge 30-06 is for the speed why give that up? Just get the short action .308 and start shaving even more weight.

I cut my Rem 700 30-06 from 24" to 20". No regrets. I'm getting 2570 fps with 208 Amax over RL-17.

MORnBt9.jpg

OP
W

wentrot

FNG
Done deal, I love the way it handles now. Look forward to doing some shooting and see if I notice any changes. Thanks a lot for everyone’s insight!

LaGriz

WKR
Liking a short Barrel,
My 1955 manufactured M70 Featherweight (jewel) chambered in .358 Win. has surprised me. I almost pasted on the rifle when I saw that the previous owner had shortened the tube to 19". I have never shot the rifle when full length so I have nothing to compare it to. That said, accuracy with a 200 grain Power Point or Silver-tip is under an inch. The loss in velocity can't be much and it is not a long range cartridge to begin with. Performance on game has been stellar. It is a hammer at close range. The French walnut stock is of fine quality and the neck is small and thin in my grip with or without gloves. This rifle just fits me with great balance. Shot my best Whitetail at a dead run when the 6 3/4# Rifle was only equipped with a Lyman peep sight. Now have a Leica 1.75X6X32MM scope with a heavy plex recital. Mounts are quick release and I still take the peep sight and mounting screws as a back up when I travel.

I would have to agree with the 50% of the guys on here say not to mess with the Kimber. I would instead consider an All-Weather Savage Lite-weight in .338 Fed with a 18-20" barrel. You could even name the rifle "Thumper"! LOL!

LaGriz