6.5 prc

deadwolf

WKR
I have a Havak in 6.5PRC, it’s a absolute tack driver. Lack of brass options doesn’t bother me as I do not reload. Only a few boxes down range but this is cartridge is panning out to be perfect for my needs

Were you able to get Seekins to part with an extra carbon fiber magazine for your 6.5 PRC? They said they will be making them, along with mags for the other calibers, but for now, until production on them ramps up, only one mag will be sold per rifle. That has me a bit nervous on the off chance I'd lose it while out in the field.

300stw

FNG
My Brother bought a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM as a donar rifle and is having it rebarreled and chambered in 6.5 PRC with a Benchmark 5R 25" #1 contour - Were hoping for 3150 fps with a Hornady 143 ELDX . RL26 will Get us there i think ! Maybe EVEN 3200 fps ! :)

hows thias coming along, this is my thought for a rifle also

I just got my PRC build back and waiting on my scope to get here. Will post once I’m able to shoot it. Very happy with how the rifle turned out though

My Brother bought a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM as a donar rifle and is having it rebarreled and chambered in 6.5 PRC with a Benchmark 5R 25" #1 contour - Were hoping for 3150 fps with a Hornady 143 ELDX . RL26 will Get us there i think ! Maybe EVEN 3200 fps ! :)

3200 is pretty ambitious with a 143. My SAUM with a 25" barrel hasn't approached those speeds but I settled for barrel life and temp stability of H1000 and don't push it too hard. The last barrel that saw RL26 never got pushed more than 3160 either.

Oldffemt

WKR
I’m considering going this route on an older savage long action I have laying around. I was concerned about feeding issues with the wsm’s and saum’s. This may work perfectly for my first Semi custom bolt gun.

SHW372

FNG
What is the velocity of factory ammo? Not published, but actual velocity. I'm still on the fence about building a 6.5 PRC.

I just shot my new PRC build yesterday for the first time. Worked up loads in RL 25 and also Retumbo and went to max charges in both with no pressure signs. I was extremely happy with the groups and velocity as I was at 3,200 FPS with the 25 and roughly 75 FPS slower with the Retumbo. Recoil was lighter than I had anticipated, which I was very happy about. This is built off a Tikka action with 26” Proof Carbon fiber barrel. I’ll post pics of the build later but just wanted to share the info

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Received the Gunwerks Clymr in 6.5 PRC this week. Shot 3 shots at 100 to confirm zero. (all were under a 1/2 inch, an inch and a half above the bullseye) Put the gong out at 750 yards and "rang" it 5 for 5. I think I got a shooter! :p

Shooting the Hornaday factory 143 ELD X out of a 24" Proof Research Tube I'm getting just under advertised speed at 2950. I thought about going with a 22" barrel but didn't want any less velocity. The rifle is a little heavier than I like for a mountain rifle coming in at 8 lbs. 7 oz. I could've shaved well over a pound going with a lighter scope (I went with 4x16x42 NF ATACR) and going with a blind mag but wasn't willing to sacrifice the weight on the scope. Overall, I'm very happy with the gun. Will play around with it more this weekend and be chasing Stone Sheep with it on the 1st.

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
Gunwerks has a really good podcast that explains everything about this cartridge. Definitely worth a listen if you are considering the round.