6.5 prc

Kotaman

WKR
Anyone shooting one yet? There’s a few custom guys building them and the ammo is out there...Anyone? This one kind of intrigues me for some reason...

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone shooting one yet? There’s a few custom guys building them and the ammo is out there...Anyone? This one kind of intrigues me for some reason...

I have one being built right now. My buddy has one in the seekins havak. Superbly accurate and it is a very nice cartridge.

Randy

I like the looks of the 6.5PRC as well... But I have a 6.5x284 already and it shoots really well so I don't want to get another that is just too similar. I need to work up my new Havak in 6creed right now so I will have my hands full for the immediate future. Also I hesitate on the brass for the 6.5PRC as only available from Hornady at present.

Yep. Call me a snob but I LOVE Lapua brass. My Havak rifle is in 6Creed and I will be using Lapua 6.5Creed brass because I dont want to mess with the Hornady brass unless I absolutely must.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I'm struggling between the 6.5 SAUM and 6.5 PRC. The problem in my mind is only Hornady brass for the PRC, but I can get other brands in SAUM, although I'd need to neck down from 7 SAUM or 30 SAUM. I'm not pleased with the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass I have.

I like the PRC over the SAUM for ability to seat the bullet further out and still be mag fed.

-David

4IDARCHER

WKR
I was thinking there would be a lot of new rifles unveiled for this cartridge at the shot show, but so far only very expensive semi-customs are available. We will see who if anyone starts to chamber for it in a standard factory rifle.

Scottyboy

WKR
I have a Havak in 6.5PRC, it’s a absolute tack driver. Lack of brass options doesn’t bother me as I do not reload. Only a few boxes down range but this is cartridge is panning out to be perfect for my needs

I like the PRC over the SAUM for ability to seat the bullet further out and still be mag fed.

-David

Where did you hear that? The case lengths (base to neck/shoulder junction, base to mouth) are basically the same between the two for any functional comparison.

Very little difference between the two with the exception that the SAUM is fatter and thus has a rebated rim and slightly greater capacity. I've had issues with the short magnum cases riding the bottom of the ejection port and bouncing off the scope windage knobs back into the action. It's possible the PRC case will clear the action a little better being narrower. Non rebated rim and factory ammo are the positives for the PRC, 50 FPS and Norma/Nosler brass options are the benefits of the SAUM.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you hear that? The case lengths (base to neck/shoulder junction, base to mouth) are basically the same between the two for any functional comparison.

I recall reading it somewhere and seeing some photos of the 2, however, I can't locate it. It could have been marketing stuff to hype the 6.5 PRC being a new commercial cartridge, probably in a magazine. And photos can be skewed ever so slightly with perspective. I'd prefer the SAUM if they are the same length--trying to find specifics about it (not assuming the same length as the 7 SAUM or 300 SAUM) is difficult since it isn't a SAAMI cartridge. Any chance you have the cartridge dimensions for the 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 GAP 4S?

Ultimately, I would like to have a rifle in short action that can load the Berger 155 EOL bullets with them pushed out as far as possible. Those are going to be some long bullets and I don't want to give up case capacity by seating deeper. Any savings in case length can result in the same overall length, but seated further out.

FURMAN

WKR
Just looking at pictures the PRC and the SAUM are near identical case lengths and the SAUM may actually have a slightly longer neck which would actually make it the better option for seating bullets where they should be and keeping it magazine length. I do not think either will fit it a factory 700 length magazine with bullets properly seated. Having said that, and as much as I twitch when the boat tail junction is not seated at the neck shoulder junction it's not really a big deal. Most SAAMI cartridges are not set up this way. Look at the Nosler cartridges. Even if you have to seat the SAUM deeper than the PRC it most likely will not eat up the 3-4 grain advantage it has over the PRC. I see the nitch for the PRC but I think the better brass makes the SAUM win. If you are going custom have you looked the Sherman Short Mags?

If you are wanting to get a 155 in a short action magazine the sherman short mag is your best bet. Sounds like ADG will have headstamoed brass for it but will still require fire forming. I would personally just build a saum or prc on a tikka LA, defiance XM, or go with a havak since their mags go 3.155".

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I'm close to "pulling the trigger" on one...has just enough edge over the Creedmoor to warrant a purchase. :eek:

If the 155 EOL is your main goal I would go at least with the 6.5saum or Sherman. If you would be willing to go long action the 26nosler throated for the 155 would be a hammer.

My Brother bought a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM as a donar rifle and is having it rebarreled and chambered in 6.5 PRC with a Benchmark 5R 25" #1 contour - Were hoping for 3150 fps with a Hornady 143 ELDX . RL26 will Get us there i think ! Maybe EVEN 3200 fps ! :)

Last edited:

brushape

WKR
I know the specs call for the prc having a longer coal than the gap4s 3.00 vs 2.85 ish. I shoot the gap and my new load of reloader 26 and the 130 jlk at just under 3300 I don’t know how you could improve that for hunting it’s like a laser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk