New 84L is lighter then kimber states :-)

Just got my new 84L in 30-06 in... and it is lighter then Kimber states by 3 oz... usually I feel companies undershoot real weight... but this impressed me:

uleFOOPh.jpg

5lbs 7oz if my math's correct... kimber states the 30-06 should be 5 lbs 10oz... off to a good start :)

Ronb

WKR
Ditto! My .270 Montana came in about the same as yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
Still a Kimber tho.. j/k, anxious to hear how she does.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
Still a Kimber tho.. j/k, anxious to hear how she does.

That's what the FFL said lol... We will see... So far pretty impressed. Preliminary checks like magazine binding and action screw length all check out. Gonna bed it as well. I will say, has the nicest trigger I have felt in a long time! Waiting for rings to be delivered so prolly won't shoot for a week or so. I'll report back!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
That's what the FFL said lol... We will see... So far pretty impressed. Preliminary checks like magazine binding and action screw length all check out. Gonna bed it as well. I will say, has the nicest trigger I have felt in a long time! Waiting for rings to be delivered so prolly won't shoot for a week or so. I'll report back!

Yea let me know. I'm sure the triggers are sweet. I thought they were nice on the hunt ter series.
Got glass coming or are you swapping some optics around?

OP
rileybassman
Yea let me know. I'm sure the triggers are sweet. I thought they were nice on the hunt ter series.
Got glass coming or are you swapping some optics around?

Gonna put my 2-12 vx6 on for now I think... Maybe down the road something lighter, but for now to keep my CDS and clear glass the extra 4 oz is worth it... Plus I got my "bonus" 3 oz off from the factory lol. Has fed reliably too without any ramp polishing... Prolly will polish up a bit for good measure.

Ronb

WKR
Just one thing to consider. I can’t seem to get great groups off the sand bags. It shoots 3/4” groups off the lead sled. Also, these barrels heat up fast. So take your time and enjoy you’re awesome mountain rifle. Mines bone stock.
8224c1a8b7c15fd242191fdffe4633a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Gonna put my 2-12 vx6 on for now I think... Maybe down the road something lighter, but for now to keep my CDS and clear glass the extra 4 oz is worth it... Plus I got my "bonus" 3 oz off from the factory lol. Has fed reliably too without any ramp polishing... Prolly will polish up a bit for good measure.

Right on. My 338-06 84L weighs in at 6 pounds 2 oz with that same exact scope on it. Its a great scope. If you'd like another scope like it to match the scope on another rifle you have I have been considering selling mine if you are interested I would sell it for a very good price if interested. Comes with just the standard MOA CDS turret.

OP
rileybassman
Right on. My 338-06 84L weighs in at 6 pounds 2 oz with that same exact scope on it. Its a great scope. If you'd like another scope like it to match the scope on another rifle you have I have been considering selling mine if you are interested I would sell it for a very good price if interested. Comes with just the standard MOA CDS turret.
Thanks for the offer - do you have it mounted on Talley lows? I called and that was what they recommended since it is 42mm... Is it the zero lock CDS?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here is a pic of the VX-6 in lows:

XME6Vie.jpg

JI7da3k.jpg

No its not the zero lock its a CDS turret with standard MOA (as I think have set yardages on dials is silly and limiting) with a zero stop not zero lock. PM me if interested.

Hope that helps.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m trying to copy a thread (below) where I asked the same question (ring height) for an 84M action with a 42mm Swaro Z3. The pictures at the end of it are really helpful, just like Luke’s above.

Opinions - swaro z3 scope selection
Opinions - swaro z3 scope selection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
Well had a fun evening at the range testing several powders/bullets/and loads...

Tried:

IMR 4350
IMR 4451
IMR 4064
Reloader 17
Reloader 22

And the winner is.... Reloader 22 :)

62.5 grains - 180 accubond - averaging 2884 in this 5 shot group.

Tight second place is my standby load - 57.5 grains of imr 4350 over 168 ttsx - 2934 average - this load dropped an elk this year at 200 without a step.

ipNyocjh.jpg

Was super excited to try reloader 17 as it's the heavy bullet darling for 06... and it is fast - 56 grains and I was getting 2885 - which stacks up with Stid's numbers at 57 in the low 2900s... was doubting that I could get it that fast but was pleasantly surprised.

Will play with 17 some more - but the test group wasn't near as good as the reloader 22 for the same velocity.

Ready to put this load to work on some critters now :)

If anyone has any questions on the loads I used I'm happy to help out!

She's a shooter :)