Nosler Partition / Accubond

PredatorX

WKR
Is it fair to say that a partition in a .308 from a 20" barrel will more reliably expand as you reach out a little further (ie lower impact velocity)? At this point I will be staying around the 300 - 350 yard mark so it may not matter much. But if I can extend my range a bit, will a partition server me better since I am not in a magnum caliber?

Jbehredt

WKR
Within your stated parameters I’d take the one that shot better in your rifle. If that’s too close to call..... partitions are cheaper. Either bullet is going to work very well. I hunt everything in CO with a 16” bbl 308. It loves acubonds but I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot partitions. I don’t shoot animals past 400 yards.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Yeah you are probably right. At 400 and in most likely not going to see any difference.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bcimport

WKR
I can’t speak authoritatively on the accubonds but I Shoot 200gr partitions out of my 18.5” barrel 308 and the last two bears mule deer and mountain goat were all one and done immediate knock downs. Ranges were from 22-280 yards, all were pass throughs. My combo isn’t that fast and it all seems to work well together.

LaHunter

WKR
I would say the Accubonds would expand better vs the Partitions on deer size game, never used either on anything larger. I quit using the partitions in my 7 mm mag after several years of use because most deer would run at least 50+ yards, even with perfect shot location. The bullet would seem to pass through with much less tissue damage vs the Accubonds. For me, the Accubonds have resulted in quicker kills on deer, and have been very accurate from my rifle.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've only killed one deer with an Accubond(110 grain in 25-06) and two deer and a coyote with Partitions. Both bullets did well. The one shot with the AB fell in sight(roughly 50 yards) one deer and the coyote fell where shot. The other deer shot with a Partition fell within sight(roughly 50 yards).

I shot the coyote broadside, right behind the shoulder. The exit wound appeared to be a little over an inch.

I wouldn't have any reservations using either one.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
When you look at the boxes of nosler bullets they show a picture of expansion at a few different velocities. The partition seems to show a little more at 2000fps, but it seems negligible. Thanks for chiming in guys.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
The Nosler website has that illustration for most if not all of their bullets. It includes minimum and maximum impact velocities.

I did Accubond, Partition, and E-tip bullet tests shooting them into gallon water jugs at 25-100-200-300-400- & 500 yards to look at expansion, penetration, and weight retention. They all performed very well and mushroomed and held together nicely. You spoke about the Accubond or the Partition in your 308. I would choose the bullet your rifle shot the best and go forth and kill game with complete confidence!

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Should I be including the ELD-X into this mix as well? Would you?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Should I be including the ELD-X into this mix as well? Would you?

I've got a buddy that killed an elk this year shooting them in a 308(factory ammo) and loved the performance. I don't have any personal experience with them. Accubonds and Partitions haven't let me down, so I haven't ventured away from them.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think all three would be fine at that range. Just to add more choices:) My friend's dad has shot a pile of elk with a 165 grain Swift Scirocco's out of his 308.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Both bullets will have similar performance on game, I would go with what is more accurate out of your rifle. With that being said I prefer accubonds over partitions in general. Accubonds cost less than partitions because they are easier and less time consuming to produce. Accubonds are also inherently more accurate do to the different manufacturing processes and are held to a tighter tolerance. Accubonds typically have better expansion across the full range of velocities and partitions have better penetration and will perform better if you hit bone. The rear cavity will stay together and continue to penetrate even if the front cavity fragments. The accubonds also have higher BCs across the board.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to consider, Nosler has been slowly switching all of its accubonds to a pure lead core. Previously they have used a lead/alloy mix since there introduction. I have no experience with the newer accubonds but the Accubonds Long Range use a pure lead core and I have been less than happy with them. I would expect more rapid expansion and more hydrostatic shock with less penetration and weight retention.