New rifle for my daughter - Part Deux - more questions

COOTER

FNG
Hi all,
I want to thank all that responded to the first part of the rifle quest for my daughter.
This is we are now. The caliber we decided on is 7mm-08. We started to researching Tikka, Weatherby, Howa, Savage and Ruger, with a preference for the first three. To recap, my daughter is 5' nuthin, and we measured her L.O.P. was about 13". Great, online searches showed all kinds of rifles in the brands should be available.
So today we went to Williams Gun Sight here in Michigan to actually get our hands on some guns and start to narrow our selection. That did not go so well. We were able to check out Savage, Ruger American, Tikka the Weatherby Camilla. I did not care the Savages or Rugers they showed us, I was hoping to look at the new Savage 110 Storm but they did not have it.
We did like the Camilla and Tikka TX3, however they were to long in the pull. After spending some time talking to one of their gunsmiths, it was evident that pretty much no matter what rifle we would end up getting, we would have to have the stock cut-to-fit. Bummer, it kinda makes me cringe to by a new gun then cut it up. I know its me and it is done all the time. Have any of you had your stocks customized? If so, how'd it turn out. Do you think I am better off having a wooden stock modified or polymer or it doesn't make a difference? After leaving Williams we headed to Cabelas and come across a Kimber Hunter. Great price for a Kimber, under $800. Does anybody have any experience with the Kimber Hunter? On the flip side, if we are going to have to modify the stock on any rifle, we have more models to choose from. Any comments on Howa, Weatherby, Tikka, Kimber? Sorry for the long winded ramble.

Ctpa61

FNG
Was the Tikka you looked at the compact model? If not might try finding one of those and see if the stock fits better. All of the rifles brands have their advantages and disadvantages. My 15 year old daughter about 5'4" and runs an older 1990s vintage Remington model 7 youth with the 18 inch barrel in 7mm08 with deadly results. Might want to give the Ruger 77 compacts a look as well. I am partial to kimbers, both the Montana and the Hunter in 7mm08. Good luck and good job introducing your daughter to hunting.

The Ruger 77 Compact might fit your needs. If you have a good gunsmith cut the stock off you can always save the cut-off piece that could be placed back on at a later time if you should decide to get rid of the rifle. A good smith could almost make the seem completely disappear. Worse thing might mean purchasing a new factory stock which would not be that big of a deal. Whatever you do I would suggest getting a really good and soft recoil pad put on it.

Jimbob

WKR
Tikka compact, shorter lop and shorter barrel. My dad has one in .308 for the grandkids and it works great. Also my 10 yr old son has a Ruger american compact in 7mm-08, fits him great (lop is 12.5" I believe).

OP
C

COOTER

FNG
Was the Tikka you looked at the compact model? If not might try finding one of those and see if the stock fits better. All of the rifles brands have their advantages and disadvantages. My 15 year old daughter about 5'4" and runs an older 1990s vintage Remington model 7 youth with the 18 inch barrel in 7mm08 with deadly results. Might want to give the Ruger 77 compacts a look as well. I am partial to kimbers, both the Montana and the Hunter in 7mm08. Good luck and good job introducing your daughter to hunting.

Tikka compact, shorter lop and shorter barrel. My dad has one in .308 for the grandkids and it works great. Also my 10 yr old son has a Ruger american compact in 7mm-08, fits him great (lop is 12.5" I believe).

The Ruger 77 Compact might fit your needs. If you have a good gunsmith cut the stock off you can always save the cut-off piece that could be placed back on at a later time if you should decide to get rid of the rifle. A good smith could almost make the seem completely disappear. Worse thing might mean purchasing a new factory stock which would not be that big of a deal. Whatever you do I would suggest getting a really good and soft recoil pad put on it.

No it was not the Tikka compact. That is one of the problems I am having, no body around has them in stock. Williams would charge a fee to order and 15% restocking if I did not take the gun. I get it, they have to make money, but I would like to handle any gun before I buy. So the search continues.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I recently bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20" barrel and love it. They still offer the Model Seven Compact with an 18.5" barrel and shorter LOP. I handled one, but felt that is was a tad too short for me. Despite internet banter, the new Remingtons I've purchased have been very accurate.

OP
C

COOTER

FNG
Well the quest for the gun is over. We ordered the Tikka T3x Lite Compact in 7mm-08. It should be ready for pick up in about 7 - 10 days.
Interesting tid bit, there were only 4 left in the distribution center that my gun shop uses and the caliber will no longer be available in that model.
My daughter Katie is giddy to get her hands on it and start shooting. Me too. Now we need to find some glass. Any suggestions? Our hunting will be from 0 - 300 yards. Thanks again for all the input!

hodgeman

WKR
Now we need to find some glass. Any suggestions? Our hunting will be from 0 - 300 yards. Thanks again for all the input!

For beginner glass, a fixed 4x or 6x is nearly ideal- good brightness and clarity, generous and non-critical eye relief, good field of view and enough magnification to see the target and not so much they see all the minute jitters...hard to go wrong there.

OP
C

COOTER

FNG
For beginner glass, a fixed 4x or 6x is nearly ideal- good brightness and clarity, generous and non-critical eye relief, good field of view and enough magnification to see the target and not so much they see all the minute jitters...hard to go wrong there.

She has been shooting for years, rimfire and my muzzy. This is her first centerfire of here own. I am thinking something in 3x9x40-44 maybe 4x14x40-44. She will be using this for our antelope hunt next, deer and target.

Jon C

FNG
Great choice on gun and caliber, 2x7 or 3x9 leuopold vari x 2 or 3 that 2x7 scope would fit that rifle perfect. My 7mm-08 & 308 tikka both shoot Winchester ammo great. 7mm-08 loved ballistic tips if your looking for somewhere to start for ammo.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a couple OEM tikka black synthetic stocks I would be willing to send ya on the cheap to be cut down and then just swap to your original stock as she grows. Let me know if you are interested.

Jimbob

WKR
Leupold VX2 2-7x33 on all three rifles in my house. Tikka T3 Lite 30-06, Rem 700 .308, and Ruger American Compact 7mm-08. The scope on my new Rem 700 has the long range reticle and I am excited to test it out.

That Leupold scope is just a good balance of weight, cost, and quality.

JP100

WKR
Awesome choice! you wont regret it.

Id honestly look at the VX 1 or VX 2 scopes or the burris full field.
They have discontinued the vx1s or re named them or something I think.

We have a couple of them, and VX3s aswell. The VX1s and the burris full field are very good value for money, light and they just work. The vx3 will be better for sure, but depends on your budget.

cant go wrong with 3-9x40, but a 2-7 will do it fine and be a bit lighter

Look at the Leupold VX3i 2.5x8. I have used these for many years on all my small caliber rifles, it will serve her well.

Grumman

WKR
Don’t discount a fixed power scope for simplicity. My boy missed a shot opportunity last year when he had the power cranked up and a buck appeared at 35 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Don’t discount a fixed power scope for simplicity. My boy missed a shot opportunity last year when he had the power cranked up and a buck appeared at 35 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet he remembers to wander around with it turned down for the rest of his life. I learned that lesson the same way he did. My wife loves her Leupold VX-R. You pay a little more for the illuminated dot as I believes it’s standard VX3 glass. The “put the red dot on your spot” makes it simple.