Weatherby Vanguard stock

mac541

Lil-Rokslider
I wan't to change out my 300 Weatherby Vanguard stock for a lighter one. Any suggestions?

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I have been eyeing the HS precision stock for my Weatherby Vanguard. I love the gun and its a tack driver, but the squared off shape of the stock factory stock gets on guys hand after carrying all day. plus the stock is heavy. I've heard though that the vanguard stocks are not supposed to be free floated.... don't know if there is any truth to it or not.

The standard Bell and Carlson stocks weigh 2lb 5 oz, 1 oz heavier than the factory plastic stock, though they feel much better. Bell and Carlson also makes a lightweight carbon fiber stock for Weatherby which they use on their Backcountry and Wilderness rifles, it only weighs 1 lb 8 oz. I haven’t been able to find them for sale online anywhere, so I’ve been meaning to call Weatherby and ask about price and availability, I just haven’t had the time. If you call them, please post or PM me the info. Thanks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The standard Bell and Carlson stocks weigh 2lb 5 oz, 1 oz heavier than the factory plastic stock, though they feel much better. Bell and Carlson also makes a lightweight carbon fiber stock for Weatherby which they use on their Backcountry and Wilderness rifles, it only weighs 1 lb 8 oz. I haven’t been able to find them for sale online anywhere, so I’ve been meaning to call Weatherby and ask about price and availability, I just haven’t had the time. If you call them, please post or PM me the info. Thanks.

I was going to add this. The b&c isn’t lighter than the factory stock but it feels much better and more secure when I shoot it. I wasn’t really going for weight since the gun is a 375HH.

Weatherby might have those stocks for sale, I know the stock they use for the vanguard dangerous game and probably a few others in their line up are made specifically for weatherby and not available through b&c.

gelton

WKR
Yeah you might have a look at the stock that the Weatherby Backcountry uses. Its a B&C medalist with a monte carlo style that weatherby uses, it may be unique to Weatherby as New Mexican points out above, however I do believe it is lighter than the Vanguard stock and more stable but I am not certain about the weight because I havent weighed both.

My Backcountry in .300WM weight 7.5lbs scoped which is just about perfect for me.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I have an accuguard which came with a B and C stock. Had it off the other day, the stock itself weighed 2lbs 1.5oz. It has the full aluminum bedding block.
I'd like to cut the weight back a bit, so if the Backcountry stock can be had and if it really weighs 1.5lbs, that would be pretty great. Only concern is to make sure it would still shoot as well as mine does now. Got a feeling it would require bedding (current stock the lug is glass bedded into the aluminum bed). IIRC, the stocks on the backcountry only use pillars? If that's the case, by the time it's full glass bedded in, may not save much weight. Not sure on that though.

I have an accuguard which came with a B and C stock. Had it off the other day, the stock itself weighed 2lbs 1.5oz. It has the full aluminum bedding block.
I'd like to cut the weight back a bit, so if the Backcountry stock can be had and if it really weighs 1.5lbs, that would be pretty great. Only concern is to make sure it would still shoot as well as mine does now. Got a feeling it would require bedding (current stock the lug is glass bedded into the aluminum bed). IIRC, the stocks on the backcountry only use pillars? If that's the case, by the time it's full glass bedded in, may not save much weight. Not sure on that though.

I believe the series 1 Vanguard Backcountry was infact pillar bedded. The series 2 current production model has the full length aluminum bedding block in the stock. The action is glass bedded around the recoil lug only, I assume this would have to be done after the fact if you purchased a new stock from Weatherby. They also have pressure pads in the forend which could be easily removed, but you may have problems attempting to open up the barrel channel from the #2 to the #3 the accugard uses.

If you’ve dealt with carbon fiber products before, the Backcountry stock feels similar. It sounds hollow when you tap on it, dents and chips when hit, etc. That’s not to say it is flexible or fragile, I bought my rifle used and it looks like it was literally thrown down a scree field. The standard fiberglass stocks have a much denser “thud” sound when you tap on them, and feel like you would have to gouge or scrape the material away to damage them.

blkqi

WKR
Legendary Arms Works stock for the 1500 weighs 23 oz. Same stock Legacy Sports uses on the Howa Alpine.

I wan't to change out my 300 Weatherby Vanguard stock for a lighter one. Any suggestions?
I got a factory second carbon fiber stock from Stocky's in Florida during their president's day sale. Super stiff, 14 Oz lighter than the factory stock, inletting about on par with the factory stock, free floating barrel, very easy to swap stocks yourself, and you can do a gunworks style paint job for the price of a torn up sponge. Pretty great for $270. $299 when not on sale is still worth it IMO.
The only issue is shipping is a bit slow, and they will continually give you made up dates for when they will ship. Contacting customer service by email instead of phone seemed to get better results. The Kim lady seems to be good at pestering the warehouse staff for you.

grfox92

WKR
Stockys carbon fiber seconds for Howa 1500. No better deal on the planet.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Dharby

FNG
Peak 44 not the cheapest. I just put one on one of my vanguards. I used to design stocks for a major stock manufacturing company and all I can say without a doubt this is one of the best designed stocks I have ever seen. It is as advertised 20oz.