Tikka 6.5. To cut or not to cut?

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a great deal on a new Tikka Superlite in 6.5CM and now the fun begins of getting it ready to hunt this fall. First decision is optics, but that is a topic for another time... For now, I'm considering whether or not to have the barrel cut down. It comes from the factory at 24.3", which to me seems longer than necessary for this cartridge, less handy and plus I like the looks of a shorter barreled rifle. On the superlite the flutes start a little less than 4" from the muzzle so I could get down to 21" or maybe a little less. Obviously, there's the velocity trade off.

So what are everyone's thoughts? Has anyone cut down a superlite barrel? Optimal barrel length for a 6.5, in your opinion?

Also, has anyone ever had accuracy get worse after cutting a barrel? I've heard of accuracy improvements with properly cut and recrowned barrels, but I'm hoping (expecting) this one will already shoot well as it is.

nWgo7K4.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Interest to hear what more knowledgeable folks say on this - I’ve got a Kimber Hunter chambered in the same round with a 22” barrel I was thinking of cutting to 18” or 20”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wentrot

FNG
My hunter had a 24 inch barrel (30-06) I got it chopped to 20 inches and pick er up tomorrow. I’m not concerned about the velocity loss, it’s gonna make it much more handy!

4ester

WKR
I built my own Tikka custom-lite with a 17” tube. Getting around 2800 FPS with the 130 VLD. That gets me to almost 900 yards minimum impact velocity. I won’t miss those extra inches.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm chopping my kimber hunter 6.5 to 18 inches. I know velocity won be maxed out but I am going for handy on this one.

For LR hunting I'd say get all the velocity you can with a long barrel but for a shorter carry/packing rifle, I'd say cut away. I typically carry a 24 inch superlite in 7mmRM or a 22 inch superlite in 30-06. I have never struggled with the barrel length of them but I am looking forward to a shorter rifle to pack when the hunt allows.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am getting 2720 fps wih 147 grain ELDM out of an 18” 6.5 cm Barrett Fieldcraft. I don’t find that too limiting.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like the consensus is cut it. I'm leaning toward a 21" finished product. I'll report back with how it turns out. Thanks again

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Also, Luke and 4ester, you guys are getting some impressive velocity out of your sub 20" barrels. Good to hear. You guys running suppressors?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Also, Luke and 4ester, you guys are getting some impressive velocity out of your sub 20" barrels. Good to hear. You guys running suppressors?

Yeah I shoot in my backyard often so I measure velocity with suppressor to keep the peace. :)

Still right at 2700 fps without the suppressor boost.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like the consensus is cut it. I'm leaning toward a 21" finished product. I'll report back with how it turns out. Thanks again
Did you end up cutting your barrel down? Im thinking of doing the same on my 6.5 cm superlite.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I cut my Lite down to 18” and I’m running an Omega on it. I didn’t shoot the rifle before I cut it but it shoots great now, I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be cutting my Superlite when I get it threaded to ~22," just cause moving a full length barrel with a suppressor hanging off around a blind without thumping anything and making noise is a pain!

Quick question for those in the know, for a lite or super lite, What does it cost to have one cut down? What are the approx weight savings?

Dusty2426

WKR
I shoot an 18 inch field craft. 6.5 cm Shoots great to 700yards. And I cut a ultralight .308 to 16.5 and shoots great to 300 (haven’t tried further). It answer is yes you lose some velocity but it’s not that critical. Especially if you know the yardage. Just get it cut square and a good clean muzzle crown is critical

Quick question for those in the know, for a lite or super lite, What does it cost to have one cut down? What are the approx weight savings?

Assuming that you’re only going to be taking it down about 4”, give or take, you’ll only be shaving off 2-3 oz. max.