any good recommendations for a lightweight stock for a Rem 700 BDL short action?

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
will go on a .243. Wanting a somewhat economical solution, would love a mcmillan or B and C but just putting on the rifle for my 10 year old son so not looking to put a really high end stock on it. Just trying to lighten it a bit as it has the wood stock on it right now.

If you are really looking to go cheap the current plastic stock on the SPS is light 26-27 oz's. It is IIRC 13.5 length of pull though. If you could find a take off stock from a youth model SPS that would probably be the best. It takes alot of money to get below a 26 oz stock on a rifle. I have added pillars and bedded the action on some cheap SPS plastic stocks and they work great.

arri1942 , have you weighed the wood stock ? Some wood stocks are really not that heavy , may be lighter than some of the composite choices out there. Some of the B&C stocks are tanks. Even a McMillan swirly are 32-34 oz. When you get into the edge fill McMillans you are at 25 oz +or-.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love B&C stocks. I have them on several M700 and Model Seven rifles. Go to Stockystocks.com and look around and see if you can find what you're looking for.

Last edited:

amp713

WKR
I was gonna say I'll sell you an HS precision I have laying around not being used for cheap but pretty sure it's a long action...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For "economical" Id look at B&C I think they are actually pretty decent and I've never understood the hate they get sometimes. I have 2 of them, one on a Weatherby 375HH and one on a M70 30-06 and I have no complaints with them. They are less than 300 bucks so to step up to a Macmillan will be about ~2x the cost of the B&C. I do have a Mcmillan on order but not because I don't like b&C, just because my B&C is going to be put on an older m70 in 270 that I have so I can save the nice wood stock.

4ester

WKR
The B&C stock I just installed and bedded on my brothers rifle was less then impressive. It required a lot of fitting and the inlet for the bottom metal was not aligned with the pillars so everything was in a bind.

The HS Precision are good, but not light.

McMillian and Manners are the best in the business, but you will pay for it.

Not sure how guys are liking the Magpul stocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
The B&C stock I just installed and bedded on my brothers rifle was less then impressive. It required a lot of fitting and the inlet for the bottom metal was not aligned with the pillars so everything was in a bind.

The HS Precision are good, but not light.

McMillian and Manners are the best in the business, but you will pay for it.

Not sure how guys are liking the Magpul stocks?

I've read that a lot with B&C stocks. I've only bought 5 or 6 of them, but they've all dropped right in with no fitting required. Maybe it has something to do with pillars? Mine have always had the full aluminum bedding block.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most people don't know it, but Christensen makes a really good lightweight stock for Remingtons. It's available on their website and I think it's around $350-ish. The cheaper bell and carlson stocks have also been great for me. I've had 3 of them now, no issues and all the rifes shot great!.

Matt

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've read that a lot with B&C stocks. I've only bought 5 or 6 of them, but they've all dropped right in with no fitting required. Maybe it has something to do with pillars? Mine have always had the full aluminum bedding block.

I’ve messed with over a dozen of them over the years and currently have 2. I’ve never had a single issue with one, I haven’t known anybody who has either.

I HAVE known guys who waited almost a year to get a manners or McMillan and had to send it back right away because they were I letter wrong. Of course they were fixed quickly but I’ve never seen that with a b&c.

I’m not saying b&c is as good as a mcm or a manners but I’ve never understood the hate for them.

That being said, I’ve seen more than 1 hsp stock crack.

mt.ghost

FNG
could you PM me a picture and what you would want for it? Thanks.

224aacc32206c99972804651ba0ac79c.jpg