Threaded or not?

landyboy

WKR
Hey guys, I am looking to pick-up a new Kimber Montana in 7mm-08. Just looking for some opinions on threaded or not. 98% of the use would be PA whitetails. Suppression is most likely not coming to PA anytime soon and i'm not sure I would really need the brake. I'm not recoil shy as I also shoot a Model Seven in 300WSM.

Thanks

V65Magna

FNG
I went through a similar dilemma deciding on how I wanted my 6.4-284 configured. It certainly doesn't hurt to get it threaded if it comes that way and doesn't cost you too much of a premium. IMHO however, unless the purpose is recoil attenuation (which seems not to be a factor here) I see no reason to do it.

Let us know what you do.

TauPhi111

WKR
I'm not sure where you got your info, but you can definitely use a suppressor for hunting in PA. It's not lumped in with semiauto weapons, which btw, is up again for consideration this year. Get the threaded version. You can always not use a can if you don't want to.

OP
landyboy

landyboy

WKR
They actually passed the Semi-auto's for Predator hunting and some small game already. The language on suppressors for hunting is not as clear. I agree though it may be better to get the threaded version just in case.

TauPhi111

WKR
They actually passed the Semi-auto's for Predator hunting and some small game already. The language on suppressors for hunting is not as clear. I agree though it may be better to get the threaded version just in case.

Yes I'm glad we can finally use a 10/22 for squirrel and such. I was really banking on that reg being passed for big game too. I bought 10 round mags with 5 round limiters and everything last year for my 300 BLK and was disappointed. Maybe in the near future.

Yes the suppressor thing is a little unclear. Under the illegal firearms and devices section, they clearly spell out what you CAN'T use, and a suppressor is not on the list, but for the extra cautious, it doesn't say explicitly, "yes they are legal". I'm fairly certain they are legal though. My buddy uses his, and I've talked to guys at the range that use them. If you want to be extra sure, always good to call a warden and ask.

Brendan

WKR
Pretty sure I've heard here on Rokslide that the brakes on the mountain ascent are as much for accuracy as they are for recoil reduction. Pretty sure Stid spoke to someone at Kimber on that if I remember?

Personally - I'd get one with a thread protector and a brake so you can decide how you want to run it...

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I'd call the local game commission office.

With just a couple of minutes of searching on the Internet I found an article that explained that it is legal to use a properly purchased suppressors for hunting. It even included a copy of a letter from the Game Commission Office dated Jan. 30, 2015 in which they explicitly state that hunting with a suppressor is legal.

Attachments

• Pensylvania hunting with a suppressor letter.jpg
    Pensylvania hunting with a suppressor letter.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12

skierhs

WKR
Get threaded and have a thread cover if anything. It will be worlds easier if you ever want a brake or supporesor in the future. This way you have the best of both worlds.