Opinion of Weatherby Rifles

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Terramark, two years ago and i have absolutely loved it. I am an avid hand loader however, this rifle shoots factory ammo so well that i have not touched the reloading bench. I consistently shoot .48-.57, 5 shot groups at 100 yards with HSM ammo. Beyond impressed with this weatherby.

FLAK

WKR
Jap MKV here in 7WBY. Action really smooth and prolly the best trigger I have in the stable.
BUT, my Rem. 700's are much lighter and more accurate.

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 25yr old Mark V Alaskan in 257 WHBY; pros - 1/2 " groups w/ handloads if I do my part, great trigger, smooth bolt, killed about 25 deer w it.

Cons - Hate the flip up safety, expensive ammo or brass to handload, on heavy side, 26" barrel not good for box blinds

ed2brute

FNG
I have an mid 90’s (1994?) six lug Mark V in 7mm-08. Shot 1.5 MOA from the factory. Super thin contour 24” barrel would walk if it got hot. Eventually restocked it and it shoots 3/4 MOA now. Shoulders so well. I still love that thing for deer. I got a glove jammed in the flip up safety once trying to click it up to the fire position. That’s the only issue I’ve ever had. That 7mm-08 turned out to be a real winner caliber, for me, too. Getting nostalgic. Maybe I’ll take it for elk this year...

I have a backcountry (technically a Vanguard but dressed up a bit and lighter) and love it.

My dad has a Tikka and other than the action (the action on the tikka is super smooth) I think it outperforms in nearly every category. The Tikka does shoot well but I cant get over their magazines. My Backcountry will take a much longer bullet than the tikka will permit which is important if you handload...especially Bergers. I think they may have fixed that with their latest model though.

I am no bolt action rifle aficionado by any means but compared to most any other factory gun I have handled, (Remington, Mossberg, Ruger, Winchester, Tikka) I think its better than most. About the only other manufacturer that might be able to top it is Sako and maybe Browning, but thats a big maybe.

Any idea what the actual weight is on the Backcountry, bare gun? I found their listed weights to not be accurate on other models.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Terramark, two years ago and i have absolutely loved it. I am an avid hand loader however, this rifle shoots factory ammo so well that i have not touched the reloading bench. I consistently shoot .48-.57, 5 shot groups at 100 yards with HSM ammo. Beyond impressed with this weatherby.

I also have a MV Terramark. Mine is in 300WM. Factory Barnes shoot so well it would also be a complete waste of time to reload. It is pretty heavy, but I have so much confidence in it that I’m usually willing to carry it. It has the new Mark V trigger and I think it is quite good. I don’t know if the Mark V is any better than other higher end rifles, I think I just happened to find one that is phenomenally accurate.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
My first rifle was a vanguard in 7mm in 1983. Had some help working up a load for it, sub moa. Put down everything I aimed it at for 20 years. Still has the most beautiful stock I have ever seen.

EmperorMA

WKR
I’ve had MKVs in .270 Wby Mag, 7mm Wby Mag, .300 Wby Mag and .340 Wby Mag. All were tack drivers and surprisingly comfortable to shoot.

I’ve had various styles of Vanguards in .270 Win, .270 Wby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-‘06 and .300 Wby Mag. One, a VGX Deluxe .270 Wby Mag with gorgeous walnut, put 150gr NPTs into < 0.3” if you believe it.

All had trigger work, but all were ridiculously accurate.

I plan on getting another Weatherby in the new 6.5 Wby RPM in the future. I’m super-excited about this new cartridge ‘

I have two. A Mark v deluxe in 300wby and an accumark in 270 wby.
Both are nice smooth operating rifles and accurate. That said they are too much for what I currently hunt. I would probably not want to carry them on a walk in hunt as they are heavier than I like. I bought them back when I had more money and less idea of what I really wanted in hunting rifle. I might use the 270wby this year in an Alabama clear cut out of a blind.

I have a good number of friends who bought Vanguards. I never heard one of them complain about those. They all love them. They all use them as their primary hunting rifles. Not aware any of them have the range certified.
All just plain janes.

FLAK

WKR
Does anybody have a problem with stair stepping? Mine will be dead on first shot, then starts high left. 3rd shot will be about 8" high and 3" left and gets worse from there. Whippy barrel doesn't help. Yes, I have free floated the barrel.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Does anybody have a problem with stair stepping? Mine will be dead on first shot, then starts high left. 3rd shot will be about 8" high and 3" left and gets worse from there. Whippy barrel doesn't help. Yes, I have free floated the barrel.

Your gun has a problem. It shouldn't be doing that. All the vanguards I am aware of have pressure point at the end of the forearm. Seems the guys that have removed them to free float the factory barrel have had accuracy problems. Its been years since I researched free floating weatherbys but I do remember the end result was to not do it. I'm not sure about the Mark V and the pressure points but I know for sure my mark v outfitter has them. Proper action torque has also been very important to my guns and if I take the stock off to work on the trigger expect a POI change and have to resight in the gun.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I've has a couple weatherbys through out the years. Vanguard 300 weatherby mag. Vanguard sub moa 257 weatherby mag. Both guns were impressive shooters. Recently picked up a mark v outfitter. I'm not a fan of the weatherby triggers. Even the "new" lxx trigger or whatever they call it spring stacks and creeps very badly. All of my weatherbys got timney triggers and adjusted to 2lbs pull weight. Seems like weatherby has fixed this problem as their new line of guns just come stock with the triggertech.

FLAK

WKR
Your gun has a problem. It shouldn't be doing that. All the vanguards I am aware of have pressure point at the end of the forearm. Seems the guys that have removed them to free float the factory barrel have had accuracy problems. Its been years since I researched free floating weatherbys but I do remember the end result was to not do it. I'm not sure about the Mark V and the pressure points but I know for sure my mark v outfitter has them. Proper action torque has also been very important to my guns and if I take the stock off to work on the trigger expect a POI change and have to resight in the gun.

Mine is a MKV Lazermark. Did it with the original stock and an aftermarket B&C.
Does it with factory ammo of all bullet weights, handloads, new scope, new mounts, added a pressure point at the end of the stock, removed it, free floated the new stock, I've tried everything.

amassi

WKR
If you have a barrel below #4 contour you should not have removed that pressure point. Did you bed the recoil lug?
Also, if you have a fiberglass stock those action screws have a sequence
Front screw 35" #
Rear screw 35"#
Drop rifle on butt
Front screw 65"#
Rear screw 65"#

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Mine is a MKV Lazermark. Did it with the original stock and an aftermarket B&C.
Does it with factory ammo of all bullet weights, handloads, new scope, new mounts, added a pressure point at the end of the stock, removed it, free floated the new stock, I've tried everything.

I guess the biggest question is why did you free float in the first place and what was the accuracy you were getting before free floating and what caliber?

Amassi hit the nail on the head for proper stock to action torque sequence of fiberglass stocks on weatherbys.

Carr5vols

WKR
I have a 5 year old weatherby vanguard s2 ( the cheap one) in 300 win mag and I am very happy with it. Only one animal out of many has moved out of its tracks at some decent distances. I have had other high dollar guns and this one shoots as good as them.

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a MV Terramark. Mine is in 300WM. Factory Barnes shoot so well it would also be a complete waste of time to reload. It is pretty heavy, but I have so much confidence in it that I’m usually willing to carry it. It has the new Mark V trigger and I think it is quite good. I don’t know if the Mark V is any better than other higher end rifles, I think I just happened to find one that is phenomenally accurate.
That was the other caliber I considered. I ended up with the 7mm rem mag. My brother also owns a 30-06 in a regular old vanguard. That thing shoots dang good as well. I need to also add to my statement.. I am a Remington 700 fanatic. I own 7 of them. I can honestly say that none of my rems would shoot straight off the shelf, like this weatherby.