Opinion of Weatherby Rifles

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious to know what the general consensus is on Weatherby rifles. Since there are two lines, Vanguard and Mark V, what do you think of each line in terms of quality, features, performance, especially verses their main competitors (whoever that is....different for each line I would think).

Thanks!

gelton

WKR
I have a backcountry (technically a Vanguard but dressed up a bit and lighter) and love it.

My dad has a Tikka and other than the action (the action on the tikka is super smooth) I think it outperforms in nearly every category. The Tikka does shoot well but I cant get over their magazines. My Backcountry will take a much longer bullet than the tikka will permit which is important if you handload...especially Bergers. I think they may have fixed that with their latest model though.

I am no bolt action rifle aficionado by any means but compared to most any other factory gun I have handled, (Remington, Mossberg, Ruger, Winchester, Tikka) I think its better than most. About the only other manufacturer that might be able to top it is Sako and maybe Browning, but thats a big maybe.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They are very nice rifles, Some of the vanguards have features that usually go on the MKV rifles (B&C stocks, fluted barrels etc). MKV rifles are the high end ones from the company and range from dangerous game rifles to heavy long range rigs to light mountain rifles. Vanguards are made in Japan by Howa and are an excellent value but sort of heavy, they are very accurate though.

IVe always looked at Weatherby 2 ways, Firstly, I wouldn't buy a MKV unless it was in a Weatherby caliber, I just think there are better options for example if you want a 308 or a 270, but if you want a 300wby or something, a MKV is the only way to fly. Vanguards are great rifles for the value and also a good affordable way to get into the Weatherby calibers without spending 1600 dollars.

A MKV ultra lightweight in 300wby is totally badass.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My dad is a HUGE Weatherby fan, we probably have 15 MKVs and at least that many Vanguards. Right now I'm using a Vanguard in 375HH and its a pretty awesome gun. I also have a back country that is nice but sent get used as much.

boom

WKR
i have one. a markV in .257 weatherby. the rifle is beautiful to me. i dont reload at all for it and it is a great shooter. with my sucky bench-shooting skills, i can do .75" groups.

the bolt is very silky smooth. i cant imagine it is the lightest rifle out there. i fell off a steep slope and the rifle's finish is fairly robust. it didnt scratch up that badly.

i LOVE the rifle, i dont love the Weatheryby "tax" on the ammo. it isnt the cheapest rifle to shoot. and finding non-toxic ammo in Weatherby stuff is problematic.

Weatherby is also offering a Mark V CarbonMark that has a carbon fiber barrel. Supposed to be a joint venture with Proof Research. Only down side is the $4000 MSRP. I have a Mark V FiberMark in .340 Wby. Had it since 1988 and love it.

Roy68

WKR
I owned a Vangaurd Sub-Moa model (now the RC) in 300wm. I shot the rifle very well and most days I achieved sub moa with it. I absolute hated the trigger and replaced it with a timney. The oem trigger had a ribbed surface that annoyed me. The rifle had some weight to it but that was ok as it was not braked and I’m sure that helped with heavy bullets. My only other dislike was the grip deminsions on the B&C stock did not fit my hand well. In reality my only gripes were personal preference. Harvested 5 elk, several deer, and a handful of coyotes with it before I sold it.

Economically speaking I still believe it to have been a lot of fun for the relatively low cost at the time.

4ester

WKR
The rifles seem nice enough. I handled a few at the Western Expo, and found the fit and finish decent, and the triggers horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve only used my mountain rifle, but it’s light and shoots really well, almost makes me look like I know what I’m doing.

I did polish the bolt and it’s much smoother now.

gelton

WKR
Roy68 makes a good point, the triggers arent the best, I swapped mine out with a Timney as soon as I got it.

Also its in .300 WM and weighs just 7.5lbs scoped.

ofl0926

WKR
i love weatherby rifles. i own 4 mark V's and 2 vanguards. out of the mark V's one of the is the newest version, the weather mark, with the upgraded trigger and cerakoted. i have it chambered in the new 6.5/300
the other marks V's, i have a stainless 300 wby mag, accumark 270 wby and a fibermark 270 wby.
the vanguards i have is a standard 30.06 and a whitetail bonz edition 240 wby.
all the rifles are shooters. i truly enjoy shooting them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Of all the weatherby rifles we have, my favorites are an older mkv in 240wby that has a zeiss conquest and a fluted barrel, and a 378 magnum. Of the vanguards, the 30-06 back country and the 375 dangerous game are totally awesome as well.

IF I buy another rifle a mkv ultra lightweight would be on the short list.

mmac

WKR
I have the same experience. Vanguard Sub MOA which was the early version of the Range something. Shoots better than anything I have except the coopers and the same as a kimber. Shoots almost anything just under and inch. Handloads a little better, but federal factory less than inch as well. I would get another if I was looking.

The big plus is they made a decision a couple weeks ago to announce they had it with California and they are moving the company to Sheridan Wy. Greaty state, great move and they should be applauded for is a big decision for a manufacturing company.

I have 2 Mark V’s, a 30/378 and a 22/250. I really like the rifles and feel they are built very well. The 22-250 is one of my very favorites and is really accurate.

V65Magna

FNG
I have a circa 1972 (Howa) Varmintmaster in .22-250. A beauty to behold and quite accurate to boot. It makes quick work out of whistle pigs and with a 50 grain Barnes TSX smacks central Maryland whitetails down as well.

I've considered a Mark V Accumark (range certified) in 6.5 CDMR but have not "pulled the trigger" on one yet. The .257 is sexy but too overbore for my taste. Not a big fan of the double radius but Weatherby's are lookers and shooters, for sure.View attachment 67287

Sorry about the cheesy link to the pic. I'm having a hell of a time with Imgur!

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
I've had a Vanguard .270 for over 30 years. I'm satisfied that I got what I paid for back then.

FURMAN

WKR
The Vanguards are a pretty decent value. In my opinion the Mark Vs are overpriced when compared to other rifles at the same price level these days.

I was given a wood stocked Mark V in .270 Weatherby magnum by a satisfied client as a tip almost 18 years ago. It shoots 150 gr Partitions into 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I've never used any other load in the rifle as I figured it was pointless, the accuracy is already there. My favorite thing about it is the 54° bolt angle. I can get the scope down real low to help with superior bore alignment. I have only ever killed one animal with it, a good sized black bear that folded up and never made another track. My brother shot 3 mulies with it, one a book buck in Nevada, and I'm pretty sure he forgot to return the rifle after that stellar fall. I better go check.......