Mountain Rifle Options - .300 Win Mag

BigJoeXD

FNG
I’m looking for a lightweight rifle for mountain terrain / backpack hunting. My maximum range with this particular rifle for hunting would be +/- 600 yards and I’d like to be able to shoot 1k with it at the range. I got an awesome deal on a new Leupold VX5HD to pair with the rifle.

Planning for a rifle hunt for elk this fall, with more elk, mule deer, bear, and sheep in the future. I’m traditionally a bow and muzzleloader hunter and have some experience with long range hunting, caribou and Whitetail with .270 and 7mm Wby Mag. I’ve been trying to do as much research as I can on lightweight mountain / backcountry rifles and I’ve narrowed it down to a few and would like to get some other opinions. Not really interested in Tikka or Browning.

- Christensen Arms Mesa
- Montana Rifle Co Extreme X2 or X3 (X3 details not released yet)
- Cooper Model 92 Backcountry
- Kimber Mountain Ascent

I’ve been able to shoulder the Mesa and the Cooper as my local Scheels has them. The Mesa felt and shouldered good, the Cooper felt great. I would definitely give Cooper an edge on fit to me, form, and finish. It’s weight felt amazing but concerned that it’s lightweight might be a hindrance with the .300 win mag on extended ranges. I’ve read of negative reviews others have mentioned about Christensen but haven’t found very many, and have not read anything negative on the Cooper.

Budget is somewhat of a concern, the Cooper would definitely stretch my budget but I’m also of the belief of buy once, cry once and that this type of firearm is an investment. I’m a bit tentative to even list the Kimber due to the QC/QA issues that are all over the place and really leaning toward the Mesa or Cooper. If I went with the Mesa, I’d probably get it fully bedded as opposed to the spot bedding.

Any reason I shouldn’t spring for the Cooper? Or likewise, why I should go for the Mesa? I’ll be looking for another hunting rifle in 6.5 creedmor next year so there’s that too.

WRO

WKR
I’m looking for a lightweight rifle for mountain terrain / backpack hunting. My maximum range with this particular rifle for hunting would be +/- 600 yards and I’d like to be able to shoot 1k with it at the range. I got an awesome deal on a new Leupold VX5HD to pair with the rifle.

Planning for a rifle hunt for elk this fall, with more elk, mule deer, bear, and sheep in the future. I’m traditionally a bow and muzzleloader hunter and have some experience with long range hunting, caribou and Whitetail with .270 and 7mm Wby Mag. I’ve been trying to do as much research as I can on lightweight mountain / backcountry rifles and I’ve narrowed it down to a few and would like to get some other opinions. Not really interested in Tikka or Browning.

- Christensen Arms Mesa
- Montana Rifle Co Extreme X2 or X3 (X3 details not released yet)
- Cooper Model 92 Backcountry
- Kimber Mountain Ascent

I’ve been able to shoulder the Mesa and the Cooper as my local Scheels has them. The Mesa felt and shouldered good, the Cooper felt great. I would definitely give Cooper an edge on fit to me, form, and finish. It’s weight felt amazing but concerned that it’s lightweight might be a hindrance with the .300 win mag on extended ranges. I’ve read of negative reviews others have mentioned about Christensen but haven’t found very many, and have not read anything negative on the Cooper.

Budget is somewhat of a concern, the Cooper would definitely stretch my budget but I’m also of the belief of buy once, cry once and that this type of firearm is an investment. I’m a bit tentative to even list the Kimber due to the QC/QA issues that are all over the place and really leaning toward the Mesa or Cooper. If I went with the Mesa, I’d probably get it fully bedded as opposed to the spot bedding.

Any reason I shouldn’t spring for the Cooper? Or likewise, why I should go for the Mesa? I’ll be looking for another hunting rifle in 6.5 creedmor next year so there’s that too.
Havak Pro Hunter PH1

These are petty awesome as well. Right at 2k for a price point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

choovhntr

WKR
Got a chance to pick up a bunch recently except for the havak. The one I really wanted to compare but was sold out. For lightweight magnum this was my opinion... (btw I own the Cooper 92). Cooper has the best action feel and trigger from the factory. Mine is a jewel though and guys say it will fail. Mine hasn’t yet and it’s the best trigger I’ve felt. Fierce had the best lw stock feel and the magazine system is better than coopers. I’m talking engagement not length( don’t know what the length of the fierce is) Cooper has a generous one. I’ve never been all that impressed with the Christiansen but have to say I like the feel of the Mesa over the ridgeline and classic. Maybe it’s just me but it seemed to balance better. The action has always felt clumsy to me though. If I were to pick again it would be Cooper or fierce. If I had a $1500 budget, I’d get a Mesa or a modified tikka. $2k... the Barrett and havak come into play and I have no experience with those. Specs go to the havak though for everything but weight. Hope this helps.

davsco

WKR
check out cooper excalibur. lots on gunbroker and gunsamerica. if they made that it in a lefty it would be in my safe now. BIL had a couple that were absolute shooters. i am strongly considering a cooper backcountry as they do make those in lefty, but more expensive and 6 month wait. there are also a couple of used (and new, but $$$) HS Precisions on gb and ga and those are definitely shooters. heard good stuff about fierce fury but again not in lefty.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A mountain ascent in 300wm would be pretty rad. A ridge line might also be awesome. I haven’t had a chance to handle a cooper but they look cool.

If I were buying aight unseen I’d have no issues ordering a kimber or a Christensen.

Lawnboi

WKR
I chose a mesa over kimber offerings.

Cooper was out of my price range and the Montana rifle co was never on my radar.

Very happy with my mesa so far. Not lightweight by any means, running around 10lbs all up.... but I wanted around that weight.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
When you get to the 300 it’s not always the best to have the absolute lightest available...

A standard Kimber Montana would be cheaper and a few ounces heavier.

What about a Ridgeline over a Mesa?

Coopers are nice.

I’d rather have a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather than a MRC.

I'll throw a couple of other rifles into the mix you should look into.

Browning XBolt Pro (I would definitely own one if it came in a 300 H&H).
Browning XBolt Stainless Stalker (I own one because it does come in a 300 H&H).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You might check out the m70 extreme, I have one in 30-06 and Ive shot one in 300wm, They really are awesome rifles.

Outlaw99

WKR
The muzzle break on the 92 is outstanding at reducing the felt recoil. I own one in 7mm, and the felt recoil is almost nonexistent to me. The gun flat out shoots. That being said, I’ve handled the Fierce recently, and everything about them feels/ looks awesome. I also like the price tag compared to the cooper.

The fierce rifles I've handled felt great. Only thing that turned me off was how flexible the fore end was on the stock. It is not difficult to make it touch the barrel.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I think you're asking a lot of a lightweight factory rifle. 1K is a good poke even with a custom, purpose built rifle. Obviously you will be able to hit at 1K with any of those rifles but the real question is with how much consistency. It seems the biggest task when purchasing a factory gun is getting a consistent shooter. There's a big difference between shooting a 3 shot 1" group at 100yds and holding MOA all the way out to 1K.

If you have real expectations of shooting an animal at 600yds I would consider going with a custom build by a reputable builder. There's plenty to choose from so take your pick. In the long run I think you'll save money by biting the bullet and getting a rifle from GAP, SAC, Surgeon, LRI, etc....there's many many more fine builders.

I have a few different rifles and I expect different levels of performance from them. My Kimber Hunter w/ Swaro Z3 in 30-06 approx 7lbs, is zeroed at 200yds and I consider it a 300yd gun. If it shoots 2.5 MOA out to 300 that's a kill shot on a deer or elk. My Short Action Customs 260 with Hensdolt 3-12 is a capable of 1 MOA out to 1K and beyond. It weight approx 11lbs. I would take a 500yd shot on an animal if the conditions are right. Anything further than that and I'll shoot my 300WM. It all up is about 16lbs with a 25x S&B. Hardly a hunting rifle but if you want to stretch the legs consistently that's what it takes, at least for me.

If you want to save serious coin I know Savage makes very consistent shooters. They're ugly as sin but it's almost comical how well they can shoot.

Just my .02

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention the Seekins Havok Rifle....it's a lot of rifle for the money. For 2K I would take it over any factory offering.

I like the Kimbers. Have one in a 300 WSM. Recoil is tolerable. Not something I’d want to put 30 round at a time through though. Great to carry.

satchamo

WKR
If you are set on a magnum, I would suggest not going overly light or if you do, brake it. I have a Kimber Hunter in 308 that comes in at 6.5 lbs and it bites for a 308. I couldn't even imagine what a 300 wm would feel like. But again, mine isn't braked.

Last edited:
I really like my Kimber's and especially my MA, but of the 4 rifles on your list, the MA is the only one I have experience with. Like what has already been said here, I too think that going with a light wt. mountain rifle chambered in .300wm, and hoping for good results out to 1000 yards is going to be a very tough order to fill. All that being said, brakes have as much as 60% reduced felt recoil, and the brake on the MA does a very good job IMO. A buddy of mine has a MA in .300wm and the recoil is not at all what I would consider bad, but I don't think I'd be able to hit an elephant at 1000 yards with it either. I might be able to hit the broad side of a barn at that distance though. :)

mcseal2

WKR
I went with a Rifles Inc 300 win mag when I built my elk rifle a couple years ago. It is light at 7lbs 4oz with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 in Talley rings. I shoot the 180gr Nosler Accubond from it at 2956fps. It will put 3 shots into 1/2" at 100yds and put the first shot from a cold barrel into the same place every time which is more important to me. It has a brake and I wouldn't want a light 300 magnum without one. This is a darn nice rifle but it would not be the rifle I'd choose to shoot 1000yds.

Being that light it isn't the easiest rifle to shoot at extreme distances from field positions. I shoot it pretty well, and plenty well enough for normal range shots, but there is a big difference between under 500yds and over 500yds. Lots of variables start to weigh in and shooting a light gun with adrenaline pumping is one of them. If I was looking to shoot a deer and thought that there is a pretty good probability of shooting 400yds+ I'd prefer to take my heavier but easier to shoot 264 win mag. Elk I'd stick with the bigger rifle, but they have a larger vital area too.

When shooting the 264's I have that use Berger or Hornady ELD-X bullets alongside the 300 I notice I get more consistent hits on steel or paper past 500yds, really past 450, with less fliers. I don't know how much of that is rifle weight, and how much of that is the higher BC bullets designed around distance shooting. I think the bullets designed around long range are more consistent at long range. I love the terminal ballistics of my Accubonds. Still I found when I started shooting 140gr Bergers in my old 264 I was shooting the same groups at 600yds I used to at 450yds with the 140gr Accubond. On 100yd accuracy that Accubond load had a slight edge over that Berger load. I even used the same powder charge from the same pound of powder with both testing them.

I guess my advice would be to either get a 300 set up for long range and a bit heavier than what you are looking for, or change what you are looking to do with it just a bit.

If I was going to buy a pair of guns today the Seekins Precision Havak rifles that have been mentioned look like a whale of a deal to me. Having one in a 300 magnum and another in the new 6.5PRC would be a very capable combo. I know I like my 300WM/264WM combo very much but if I was starting from scratch I might just go this route.

On scopes if you are planning to dial elevation I'd go with a scope built around dialing for elevation. I have a couple Leupold VX-6 scopes that don't track correctly. When I called Leupold the guy I spoke to told me the new VX-5 and VX-6HD models have the same erector system as my older VX-6. Some guys on here said that they called too and got a different answer, so I'd check for yourself. I honestly don't know which Leupold employee was correct. I'm in the process of switching to a Huskemaw on my 300WM and depending on how that goes I'll either go to a Huskemaw or a March on my lighter 264WM. Have to sell some more stuff to buy the March if I go that route.

Anyway hope some of this helps. I kinda went down this road and figured I'd share what I found.

Adubs

FNG
I was in your shoes last year and bought a 300 win cooper backcountry. Absolutely zero regrets other than the fact you have to be careful which scope you put on it. I originally put a 4-16 nightforce atacr but the empty casing would hit the turret where or ejecting and fall back in. I replaced the NF with a Z8i 2-16x50 and love it. With the break it’s not bad to shoot at all and I’m 6’0” 180 lbs. buy once cry once...View attachment 67854

OP
B

BigJoeXD

FNG
Thanks for all the responses! After thinking about what a few of you have said, I’ve decided to narrow down what I’m truly looking for in this particular rifle purchase; lightweight for backpacking, accurate, and effective for elk, mule deer, sheep, black bear, etc. out to 500 or 600 yards. Given that, I was able to get a really good deal on a Cooper 92 Backcountry in 7mm Rem Mag and pulled the trigger on it.