22 Creedmoor

The 6.5 Creedmoor has been a boon for the wildcatting community.
I have a new 6Creedmoor that I need to get working on load development as soon as the weather breaks. The 22 CM looks interesting for varmits and little to no recoil. The rifles/barrels are made with long heavy bullets with much improved BC over the 220Swift and 22-250 variants. So the long range applications are better for the 22Creed.
Alpha Munitions has 22Creedmoor brass now. Or it can be made from 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor.
Does anyone have one? What do you think?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been just starting to read about this one a little bit. I noticed in the article you linked they compared the 22CM shooting 75 grain bullets to the 22-250 shooting 50 or 55 grain bullets. I don't understand that personally. If you're going to build a custom rifle, there is no reason you couldn't put a fast twist barrel on the 22-250 to shoot the 75 plus grain bullets and I believe it would outperform the CM.

Also, if you're going to build a hot .22, why not just neck down .243 instead of the 6cm? Easier to find brass, and bigger case.

I'm not saying it's a bad round. These are just some of my thoughts as I was reading about it.

OP
JustOneMoreShot
I agree with you 100% Justin. I guess they are comparing a typical round that is used in each of the two different chamberings and not the exact same projectile in each of the two chamberings.
Necking down a .243 and then blow it out with the AI treatment would be a lot of fun I guess... and of course make sure the twist rate is fast enough to get the long and high BC bullets to stabilze.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Just had a 22 creed done, i have been reading a lot on it and comparing it to the 22-250ai and being nearly the exact same in capacity they should behave similar in the ballistics. Obviously the ai brass will grow very little to none where the creed will slightly more.

Justin is rite about the customs and faster twist barrels for heavies and it is always screwed/scewed when they compare a factory load to a heavy long range load.

The reason i went 22 creed over another Ackley which may be a wash to some is fire forming as well as getting headstamped brass from many manufacturers rite now.

I have been seeing 22 to 24" barrels running a 75 grain eld at 3500fps which is smoking hot, i only ever ran a bit over 3300 with the 75 amax, but it hit hard and was very accurate.

I want this for medium range( 300 to 700 yards) coyotes and lesser animals. I plan to run the 75, but i think a 80 or 88 eld could be a great match in a slightly longer barrel.

Anyone else running one?

What velocities are expected with 88gr 22creed?

22br might be the pick of the litter.

Can’t imagine 22 creed being easier on barrels then a 22-250.

vakid

FNG
I've had one for almost a year and it's one of my favorite guns to take to the range. Recoil is minimal but, I still wish I had gone with a brake. I shoot 80 gr Nosler CC at 3511 fps out of a 28" PacNor barrel. The cases are very easy to form from 6mm CM or 6.5CM. Or just buy 22 Creedmoor cases! I went with the first cases as I have all the equipment to do so. Yes it shoots great!

Attachments

• DSCF0563-640x480.JPG
    DSCF0563-640x480.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 22

MTSLW

FNG
It's all in the twist rate, most of the old 22-250's and 220's were slower twist for the lighter bullets. They would have similar performance with an 1:8ish twist barrel. Since you already shoot a 6.5Creed just get a smaller bushing and you can use the same dies! Something to note is that you can form 22Creed from 22-250 brass, just load and fire like any Ackley, Alpha is great brass and necking down any 6mm is easy too. I went with a 22BR Ackley because I wanted to use it in steel matches as well as for coyotes, and if you get going too fast you blow big holes in the hides. For reference 32.4gr of RL16 gets me 3085 with a 88eld out of a 26" barrel. Hoping for decent barrel life at those speeds.

TreyPound

FNG
This is by far my favorite gun to shoot now. Didn't think I'd ever say that over my weatherby's but it's true. Anyway, enough preaching.

80.5g Berger fullbore .015" from lands
H4350
Fed210
3340 fps
Bartlein 1:7.7" 20"
42 rounds down the tube
Chambered by Beanland

Runnin a SiCo harvester 30 and it's super quiet.
5 shot groups with horrible mirage and 12 mph wind were well under 1/2" with single digit SD's.

Haven't had a chance to shoot any critters yet. Been too busy with work. Can't wait to shed some blood with it though.

wrkn2hunt

FNG
I just got mine back a few weeks ago. What sold me was the better BC and speed for long range predator hunting. I built off a Rem 700 action worked with PTG bottom metal, Benchmark barrel and Triggertech trigger and a AG Alpine hunter stock. Finished at 22", I'm shooting 77gr TMK's with 4350 out of Hornady brass with Fed 210 primers at just shy of 3500 and a .285 group.