Downsizing from .270 to 7mm-08 or .308 for elk

I've been shooting a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 Win for a couple of years now since I first started getting into shooting. Still haven't shot anything with it, but I have lugged it up and down through the mountains for a lot of miles. I chose the .270 because I figured it was a mild-recoiling rifle that had plenty of punch for elk inside 300 yards, which I figured would probably be my limit (as an impressionable young shooter I read a lot on the Chuck Hawks website about stuff like MPBR and it convinced me).

I like the Vanguard but would like a lighter weight rifle. I recently saw a Howa 20 inch thin barrel model on sale for $400 including cerakote. It seems a bit lighter and more handy than my Vanguard, but it only comes in short action (probably why its lighter, in addition to the shorter, thinner barrel). I'm considering picking one up in 7mm-08 or 308. I like the Howa because it shares a lot in common with my Vanguard and I can still use my DNZ scope mounts on it (silly reason I know). Also it seems like a killer deal and it will hopefully have a lot of weather resistance.

I realize that in addition to the power lost by stepping down from .270, I'd also be losing 4 inches of barrel. Will the change have any practical effect on elk hunting in the 300-yards-or-closer range?

I'm also considering saving weight by switching to something like a Savage, but even then I'd still be wondering about short action vs the 270.

EDIT: On second thought this is a topic that I can read about all over the internet in just about every shooting forum, so please feel free to ignore!

Dinger

WKR
There is no practical difference as a hunter between a 270, 7mm-08 or 308 inside 300 yards. Some would argue the increased bullet diameter will increase wound channel size.

Nothing you hit will know the difference. Pick the rifle that you like, and fits you, then go fill the freezer.

JFK

WKR
If you are considering moving away from the 270 for recoil reasons, it’s important to realize that a 308 kicks about the same, and that by going to a lighter rifle you will undoubtedly feel more recoil. If it were me I’d keep the 270 and focus on putting an animal or three on the ground with it.

If you are considering moving away from the 270 for recoil reasons, it’s important to realize that a 308 kicks about the same, and that by going to a lighter rifle you will undoubtedly feel more recoil. If it were me I’d keep the 270 and focus on putting an animal or three on the ground with it.
THIS ^^^^ GOOD advice ! The .270 Win HAS less bullet, "Drop" (Flatter Trajectory) than the .308 and with, a 140 grain Nosler AccuBond or, partition, starting at 3,000 FPS, should be an efficient "Elk slayer" to about, 500 yards ! The 7mm-08 is better than, the .308 but, I'd stay with the .270 Win,..personally. I'd "Fix up" ( make a bit lighter) your present Rifle IF,.. it's, accurate.

See about, the cost of, "Fluting" the Bbl and Bolt and a Light, Brown Precision, Stock or, you could buy, a new Tikka T3 lite, stainless, .270 as,.. sometimes it's cheaper, to sell the Old Rifle and buy, New !

Mt Al

WKR
I went from the .270 to 7mm-08 but only because that was the Tikka T3 lite in stock when I bought it. The .270 and 7mm-08 are ballistic twins, no critter will know the difference unless they're reading the interwebs.

I agree with your DNZ mount thoughts! Love mine and you'll save some coin in the swap. I like your thoughts on going with the lighter weight rifle and no animal will know the difference within 300 yards. Sounds like a good choice to me.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a weatherby vanguard and yes they are heavier but shoot awesome. For me it’s not so much the weight it’s more how the rifle carriers not as nice as other manufacturers. However, the Howa is the same rifle with a different stock. So I would either change manufacturers and get a tikka or get a different stock. Nothing wrong with any of the calibers listed and recoil will be similar with all of them. But I don’t think you’ll get what you’re after by switching to howa from weatherby vanguard

kcm2

WKR
If you're truly interested in getting a lighter rifle, I'd suggest you consider the Savage Lightweight Hunter in one of the calibers you're looking at. There's nothing wrong with any of the three within 300 yards on elk. Or, although not as light, the Tikka. You could also spend some $$ to get your rifle lighter. I'm a lefty and had to go that route, but my 270 is now 6.5 lbs, loaded and ready to go.

FURMAN

WKR
I think the previous posters have covered all considerations. Inside three hundred yards their is no appreciable difference between the cartridges. If you are after a lighter weight rifle go ahead and get it. As already stated the recoil difference will not be noticeable between the cartridges listed with the bullet weights between the same.

PredatorX

WKR
400 bucks for a howa mountain alpine!?!? Snatch that sucker up fast before it is too late! Or pm me where you see that deal at.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider

Am I missing something? This is a energy chart for 140gr nosler partitions for 7mm-08. I also am interested in this cartridge but this 1000 ft energy at 500 yds??????

hodgeman

WKR
There is no practical diffference in those cartridges for the hunting you describe. I've shot game with all three and the results were all dead critters.

This is from Federal's ballistic calculator for their factory load.

I've threatened to buy a 7-08 several times but haven't. My heart is set on a 280AI, but haven't found "the" one yet in that caliber either.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is from Federal's ballistic calculator for their factory load.

View attachment 144145

View attachment 144149

I've threatened to buy a 7-08 several times but haven't. My heart is set on a 280AI, but haven't found "the" one yet in that caliber either.

yeah. If I get another rifle which I don’t need at all, I’ll get a 280ai. Right now I have a 308, 30-06, 6.5 and several 375HHs. I’m having a hard time convincing even myself I need another rifle.

16Bore

WKR
280AI sounds cool when guys ask “whatcha shooting?” And be sure to say you’re “running a 280AI”....not “using” or “shooting”

Seriously, it’s not going to make anything deader.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Literally for 2 years I’ve been accumulating parts for my next big game rifle with these same ideas in mind.

Supposedly weatherby SA vs LA action alone is almost a lb.

I’m building a 7mm-08 because they are super efficient in short barrel (weight savings and reloading costs, but also barrel life). Also, great for deer stand hunting here in MN While shooting suppressed.

I don’t think it’s THAT important for magnums or anything crazy to take big game, but it’s really convenient to carry a short action to kill anything in NA sub 5bills.